• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wish they'd a shut it down sooner! That lake is so overfished it's ridiculous! You'd swear it was the only lake for miles around!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bturck

• RonZ

• Wavey Davey

• mplspug

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm.. I'll have to look into that. Luckily we have docks and lifts. The DNR was at the sportsmans meeting. They said the crappies were eating all the baby walleyes. shocked

I think the lake handles the pressure it gets fairly well. Except for the walleye fishing it doesnt change much from year to year. My family has been fishing it for more then 48 years and I'm 48. grin

It kinda is the the only lake for miles around. It's the largest lake in the county, there's Ann, Fish and a few smaller lakes and that's it.

Even if the 65 access closes for a while there's still the small one on 19 and the hundreds of people with places on the lake so I doubt if it would ease the fishing pressure much.

Interesting that the DNR says the crappies are eating the walleyes, they'd have to be really small walleyes. And how did they determine that? I would tend to think it's the northerns eating them, especially with the release slot on northerns that's been in place for awhile. I wonder if the DNR thought of this before implementing the northern slot. I think that both the crappie and walleye populations are down.

The meeting was really pretty good. Lots of interesting info from Roger at the Hinckley Fisheries. Sounds like they will be stocking with larger eyes in an attempt to eliminate the loss of small fry. It is amazing the amount of boat traffic this time of year and the shore fishing by the pier on Cty 19 is unbelievable. I refuse to do down that way and get caught up in the mess. Lots of good fishing in other areas.....Headed back again tomorrow. You are right Ron, nice to have the lift, easy on, easy off, no waiting in line......

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like they will be stocking with larger eyes in an attempt to eliminate the loss of small fry.

mplspug, what do you find down by the dam? I caught a couple bass down that way throwing frogs in the weeds but thats about it

I don't go there a lot, because no one else wants to go there. I've probably been skunked in there more than I have caught something, but when I do it is pike and bass. I haven't fished it enough to have figured anything out and usually if I convince someone to go, they have no patience to stay.

I dont think there is anything down that way to concentrate the fish, you just have to get lucky and cast right to them I think

There were a few random walleyes caught, but nothing consistent. I am beginning to think the walleyes in that lake are all loners. :|

Fortunately, the ole reliable crappie bite was still on.

I didn't read all of Waveys post.

Quote:

Interesting that the DNR says the crappies are eating the walleyes, they'd have to be really small walleyes. And how did they determine that? I would tend to think it's the northerns eating them, especially with the release slot on northerns that's been in place for awhile. I wonder if the DNR thought of this before implementing the northern slot. I think that both the crappie and walleye populations are down.

I believe they have been stocking fry which are even smaller than crappie minnows. They are the size of mosquito larvae. In fact, sunfish can eat them.

I have to disagree about the crappies. The size is definitely down a little, but the numbers are up. So far, the size of the crappies remain respectable and I am sure there are some trophies to be had.

The pike no doubt will eat some of the eater walleye in the lake, but it is a real good pike lake. The Sportsman Club and others want the walleye fishery to come back, but I am afraid that there is little natural reproduction in the lake anymore and it will never be what it was at one time, which is unfortunate. I also miss the good bass fishing.

It's a lake in it is a Eutrophic lake (had to Google the word).

I got this info from the Wisconsin DNR website.

"Eutrophic lakes are the most nutrient rich lakes, and support a large and diverse volume of plants and animals. They are usually either full of aquatic plants or subject to frequent algae blooms, or both. Eutrophic lakes often support large fish populations, but are also susceptible to oxygen depletion. Small, shallow, eutrophic lakes are especially vulnerable to winterkill which can reduce the number and variety of fish. Rough fish are commonly found in eutrophic lakes.

People can accelerate the eutrophication process by allowing nutrients from agriculture, lawn fertilizers, streets, septic systems, and urban storm drains to enter lakes."

I believe pike and crappies dominate these lake types. Too bad there are all those nutrients pouring in from the surrounding farms, stables and lawns. You can really see it where the river comes in nice and clear.

Stocking of Knife began again in earnest in 2008, prior to that no stocking of walleyes had been done since 2000.

In 2009 15,107 fingerlings were stocked; these fish will range in size from 3-8". Some of these fish were purchased by the DNR and stocked and some were purchased privatley and stocked. In addition 2196 fingerlings were stocked that are pond raised by DNR and not purchased from private parties. They also stocked 1263 yearlings which range in size from 6-12" (i caught a couple of these last weekend LOL) Many factors will certainly determine the success/failure of a stocking program, one important item is C/R of small fish. Hopefully the eyes will rebound to where they were after the total reclamation in '89. In the meantime I hope the sun continues to shine, I'm headed that way in 2 hours....

Thanks, I never even bothered to check past stocking reports. It was pretty crazy in the mid to late 90s when you couldn't keep your bobber floating. Of course, most those walleye were small, not even near 15". Plus, I am going to take a wild stab that other predatory species were not established.

When they going to stock channel cats and flatheads? smile

Can't answer that one for you. Some suckers were stocked way back, but no cats that I'm aware of. So far the lake has been nice and clean, except for those who throw the beer cans out to float, I can still see the bottom off my dock in 4' of water. Should be a busy boating weekend for sure. Headed back tomorrow for 5 days. Wonder if the fish are scared yet....lol laugh

Oh they would never allow catfish in that lake. I was just kidding. But the neighbor of my brother up there is rumored to have caught one.

I am shocked that there are bullheads in there. Ever caught one? The only time I have seen them caught it when someone leaves a leech in the water accidentally over night. I saw that happen at least twice.

I'd like to try more night fishing up there.

Not sure if I can get up there for a day this weekend or not. If I do, I'll probably fish 2 hours at sunrise and 2 hours at sundown when the lake isn't going nuts with all the boats.

Went out this past sunday and got 3 little walleyes, two 9-10", and one 13". I'm disappointed that this seemingly productive lake doesn't produce higher numbers of keepable walleyes, especially under years of management. I've had to release every walleye I've caught there in the past two years. Hopefully that means a better lake in a a few years.

I have fished that lake for the past 2 years. The first year I hooked a 27"er while pitching a mini mite for crappies.. But boy was it slim tho. Like a snoop dogg version walleye. My dad said he saw a kid catch one about the same caliber 2 weekends ago.

I think there in there, but not many...

I have fished that lake for the past 2 years. The first year I hooked a 27"er while pitching a mini mite for crappies.. But boy was it slim tho. Like a snoop dogg version walleye. My dad said he saw a kid catch one about the same caliber 2 weekends ago.

I think there in there, but not many...

A 27" wallzizzle? smile

I have my doubts it'll ever be a walleye factory. I think the lake is still living on its reputation from the past. But I could be wrong. The ecology in the lake has been pretty stable the last few years and maybe that will help the walleye.

It sucks too, because my bros always want to go catch walleye on there when I want to fish pike or bass. :|

• 1 month later...

You could always try speeding up your presentations.

This is the time of year I start seeing walleyes show up on rattle baits, spinner baits, and such. The water is warmer now and the standard bait dragging can sometimes be too slow to trigger a bite.

Just an idea.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

You could always try speeding up your presentations.

This is the time of year I start seeing walleyes show up on rattle baits, spinner baits, and such. The water is warmer now and the standard bait dragging can sometimes be too slow to trigger a bite.

Just an idea.

Good point! The last few eye's I have cought were all trolling deep diving raps. Not one on lindy rig in the last three weeks! frown

How about the bass and pike? I am going up tonight. Hopefully early enough to fish sunset and a little after dark. Then I am fishing all Saturday up to early afternoon before heading back.

Found a big eye floating in one of the bays on Friday evening. I didn't put the tape measure to it but I would say conservativley 27". Sad to see a big girl like that fins up. Water temps running in the low 80's this weekend. Actually saw some red sumac starting to show fall colors, geez it goes by way to fast..... frown

It was slow for me. Hit a bunch of spots, but only found a few bass on a hump away from the shoreline. No size to note. I should have gotten out more. The weather was nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Family reunion this weekend. Hope to pitch worms in jigs in the weeds and try some new things for bass. I wonder if everyone is fishing the spot everyone fishes this time of year.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd start a new thread on Knife for the ice fishing season.

Was out Friday 12/10 for the first time, only fished about 1-1/2 hours, nothing at all. Was on foot however and didn't move around much. Word has it it's been slow (no surprise). Ice was 6" thick, 4" good clear black ice with 2" of white ice and several inches of snow. Saw a couple of perms out, wheelers and sleds. Personally I'm going to wait for thicker ice, hoping this cold snap will add a couple inches by next weekend.

Strictly a rumor Davey. It was started by the guy in the grey cabin and the Floe lift. No truth to it at all, pretty much your normal fish story...LOL smile