• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cross Lake Fishing Reports (Pine City)

Good to know, I might head up that way on Tuesday for the morning since I work at 12:30. I've always fished Pokie and never been on Cross. I've heard the sunnies are better average on Pokie. Better on waxies or did ya try minnows? We always seem to do best on diamond jigs w/ waxies. And were ya fishing next to people or did ya just find yer own spot?

I fished Euro larva. Never even opened my waxies. Buddy was dead sticking a minnow and did alright with that as well. Did not fish by any crowds.

Thanks for the tips bartman. Looks like I will be heading up there Tuesday. Not sure if we'll just hit Pokie again or try out Cross. I'll let ya know how we do.

Well the warmer weather seems to have put the fish in Cross in a more aggressive mood. I was out Sunday morning at 9:00 until 11:00 and ended up with a limit of 9 to 10 1/2 inch crappies and 12 (7 to 8 inch) gills. There was no teasing when they came through they hit and hung around for awhile. All the crappies except two were caught on waxies tipped to a small white glow ice jig. The sunnies were the same came in and moved right up and hit the jig. I was in my normal area on the north end, 23 FOW a way from the crowds.

Hey bartman, always good fishing with you! Nice to have a new fishing buddy to seek and concour smile We will have to hit that area again sometime. Good potintial in the spring, or leading up to it- late ice(not too far really)

Stable weather is finally here, sure tomorrow is going to be good all around. A slight H pressure system is circulating around us tomorrow. I think there will be a good chance to rip some lips just before it hits smile. At least windows of some really good fishing.

We'll see I guess.

I was out on Sun. lots of folks enjoying the warm weather. Fished the north end in 22fow. Started out using crappie minnows but switched to waxies on a flutter jig. Got less than my limit but plenty for a meal, the gills were acting like crappies, moving up on the bait, don't see that too often. Very nice sized fish.

Ottersled, thanks for the info on the access, I found the one at the north end off Everready Rd.

I was on the lake about 10.00 and spent the night in the wheelhouse. I was set up not too far from a perm. with a truck by it with a huge tv anntenna in the back to watch the Vikings game. Hope they got it in ok, they were in and out adjusting the anntenna most of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I ussually fish Pokegema, but the last few times out have been nothing short of bad. I'm thinking of trying Cross lake this weekend, but have never fished it. Just seeig if I could get pointed in the right direction.

Looking at some reports it seam like the North side of the lake seams to provide more crappies, but thats all hear-say. After looking at my GPS, it looks like there is a point that comes out on the north side and slips into 22 fow. Then a little more to the south of this point, there is a big deep hole of 23 fow and a few little sunken islands/reefs that come up.

Is this were most people fish? Or can some one point me in the right direction?

thanks for any help on fishing a new lake.

Never been on Cross, fished Pokie a bunch though. Where you been going? I was out there last Tuesday and did pretty good, south of the island in about 15fow. Worst I've ever done on the lake but still pretty good, 7 crappies 9-11 1/2" and 6-7 sunnies around 8". The best advise I can give is stay away from the activity. The fish out there are really spooky for some reason and if there's people drilling holes and driving next to ya, you won't get much. Set up 100 yards away from the communities, minimum. I hear Cross is more of #s lake, not nearly as good of an average size.

Jonny,

I've fished Cross alot mainly in the summer, but the long point on the north end is Norway Point and there are a few small reefs extending off the south end of the point for at least a quarter mile. One does come up to around 11'. You'd need your GPS to locate them, but there maybe some shacks out there that may be on the reefs. Further south there is a sunken island with a deep hole next to it and a small reef that extends to the north of the sunken island. Just south of the sunken island you'll find most of the shacks which I beleive are on an under water point extending from the east side of the lake. For the most part the lake is a bowl with quick drop offs along the shorelines.

I have had some luck along the shoreline breaks away from the crowds. Mainly crappies and a few perch in the winter.

Hope that helps a little. Make sure to post how you do. Good luck.

fishuhalik,

Looks like you and I both seam to fish Pok. quite often grin

I know I responded to you last week on, but I fish mostly off a point on the east side towards the sothern side of the lake. I've had some success there always it seams, and instead of 100-200 shacks like by the island. There are 5-10 shacks at best. I'm sure the island area attracks more fish (hence all the shacks) but I hate fishing in crowds and noice.

So do you associate where you fish to any sort of structure, or just off to one side of the island in the "flat" area? Do you mostly concentrate on getting away from people more than anything out there or are you on some sort of break or structure??

Nope, no break or nothing, it's just a big flat that sloooowly goes from 10-18fow, never fished deeper than 18, guess I've never had to. If you go to the main bunch of houses and just go south anywhere from 100 yards or farther, I've caught them as far as the next main group of houses, out in front of the access on the west side of the lake. I've just noticed that out there if you're onto 'em good and someone drills a hole anywhere near you, within 75 yards or so, kiss the fish goodbye. I have noticed that the fish move around ALOT, so what I usually do is get there 1/2 hour - 1 hour before fishing time, drill 50-100 holes all over the area, scoop 'em out, and then let everything settle down so the fish can move back in. I also refuse to go to that lake on a weekend, I only fish it mon-thurs.

I fished the north end a couple weeks ago. I intended to fish the humps off Norway point. My GPS chip does'nt has detailed info and I missed the hump I was looking for. Anyway, ended up in 23fow and did well on the gills. Waxies on a fluttergig, bite was very light, fish were within 2 feet of the bottom. fish shut down right after dark, water is very stained.

JohnnyD that is a good place to start. I fished a a little slope from 17-22 ft on the North end a week and a half ago and did very well on the crappies and gills. Caught more gills in the shallower hole.

Hi Jonny D,

If you look on a post on the second page of the forum you will get some more information and directions to some of the accesses. The humps you are talking about on the map have house on them or on the edges of them now. Out by the group of the houses on the north end are now 4 stakes with yellow ribbon on them. The local sportsman group drop another fish crib in the area and that is where they dropped it. I have stayed away from the crowds as others advise and have done very well especially during the warming spell. I have not been out during this cold snap to see if the bite has slowed. I have been fishing mostly the off shore breaks off the west or east shorelines just south of the northwest access in 22 to 23 FOW. The other forum will have the directions for the access off Everready that minnbowhunter used. Good luck

Otter, I was out today and the bite has slowed down. Still marking fish, and tried everything we could think of. 3 of us took home a total of 20 fish.

just wondering if any one ever fishes the 30ft hole down on the south end of cross lake

I also have wonder this.

Anyone get any channel catfish out of cross this year?

• 5 months later...

I caught a few gills this weekend in the shallows, hard to stay out of weeds though.

• 7 months later...

Taking my dad and 4 year daughter out on Cross this weekend, Anyone know where some action might be? I have not fished it this year. Thanks

Try and post your question on the forest lake-hinkley section. Theres a thread on cross lake on that one.

Well almost anywhere along the west shoreline starting from where the town use to be look for the points and steep drop offs not a hole lot of concentrated fish but if your bottom usually lights up on the electronics its usually perch and lots of em just look for suspened ones. other wise work your depths from 14 to about 20 thts where i have been having my luck. Fish have been finicky though i like using plastics up there a favorite is still a green ratfinkee with a chartreuse head and waxies havent caughten many on minnows but other people have so vary your bait i would say. Fish have been getting smaller it seems like but there are still big ones in there and lots of unfished areas tht are holding them good luck!! P.s. the key has been to be mobile.

Just got back this afternoon---and YES Hole hopper you are right on. We did not have internet access up there so I missed your post but that is exactly what I did. The Neon green Ratkee tip with waxie worked for most numbers of fish however a glow buckshot (not the small one the next size up??) with a single hook tipped with two to three waxies really brought in the larger crappies. Fishing 14-18ft on vertical dropps, crappies came in around 10ft (need a spring bobber, hitting on up spring!). Had a good time got a few for eggs and fish this morn with the family.

Thanks Again!

• 3 months later...

Taking a last minute trip up to cross lake for the weekend, any pointers on open water fishing? Most posts I have seen are about ice fishing.