• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cross Lake Fishing Reports (Pine City)

I might be out in the morning. I'll measure the ice for ya. You can use the DNR Lake Finder and that will give you an idea of what's in the lake.

I have not been on the lake yet but three friends were fishing it before the snow and there was a good 9 inches or more across the north area of the lake above the Snake. There were catching crappies and having pretty good luck in the big group of houses in the center over the deep water.

I am going out later this week and try a couple of spots on the far north end of the lake. I have good luck there during late ice with sunnies and crappies. I want to try the deep water along the edge of the sunken islands there and see what happens.

I was out yesterday checking the north end of Cross since I didn't have time to fish grrrrrrr. About 10 inches of ice and 2 inches of slush under about 8" of crusty snow. The six guys out there parked on the ice just of the landing there. They didn't want to deal with breaking through the crust and getting stuck because of the slush. There were several vehicles on the ice farther out in the group of houses that is about a half mile south.

Fishing was slow but it was early afternoon and the guys I talked to had only been fishing for about a hour.

I think most guys like myself are being cautious with the ice conditions because of the snow weight and the slush.

I measured 12-13 in a bunch of spots. Went out of two different access points and there were trucks driving out from both. I don't think I could call the fishing slow. The more holes the better.

I measured 12-13 in a bunch of spots. Went out of two different access points and there were trucks driving out from both. I don't think I could call the fishing slow. The more holes the better.

At the time of day, I was there the fishing was slow. I have found that usually the early morning or late afternoon bite into the evening are the best. But that depends on the weather conditions also. Did you access the north end or just out of the accesses closer to the Snake??

Fishing the north end of Cross today and found 12 inches to 13 inches of ice. There were some vehicles mostly small pu's driving there but most of the big trucks were parked on the ice by the landing.

I ended up with 7 (10-11 inch) crappies and two 9 inch perch. I did miss enough to have had a limit but still enough for supper.

The bite was from 3:30 to 4:30 and then nothing until I left at 6:30.

Apparently, there was a early morning bite and one group had 20 crappies and a 20 inch eye.

Yeah the mornings are better. I moved a lot and fished out of the east access and the one on the northwest side.

Made out to the north end of Cross this morning to work the mid lake humps there. Only one other braving the nice temperatures.

Tried the structure starting at 13 feet(nothing) so moved deeper and deeper until in 23 feet. Got into sunfish, perch and crappies, but the bite was slow. Seemed the schools of crappies were moving around the structure so would get one or two when they came through. Sunnies on the bottom but hard to entice, they would come up and look and drop back down. When I got a sunnie they were nice. The perch kept me busy ended up with 3 over 9". Total for 5 hours of fishing 3 perch, 8 sunnies and 7 crappies.

not too familiar with this lake, where are the accesses( i know about the one by the fairgrounds that is the only one i know the location. how is atv travel there? thanks for any help

There area numerous accesses to the south and north ends but most are unoffical. The one I use for the far north is going south on Hwy 61 from the Beroun Crossing(Cty Hwy 14)to Cty 55 which is the first main road to your left. Go straight on it to the east until it curves north about 2 miles and then take the right on the curve and go south. Take your first left and then the first right and drive down to the lake.

There are several on County 9 on the east side of the lake. Again go south from the Beroun Crossing on Cty 9 and just after you pass the intersection of County Rd 10 maybe a 1/4 mile is a parking spot to the right and you walk out from there or continue on about 2 miles to the first 4 way intersection and take a right drove to the end of the road and onto the lake.

Matthothand may know some others.

ATV travel is good on the lake right now very little snow depth.

Alot of people are still parking off the landings and either pulling sleds or using ATV's

Went out 3 nights in a row and ended up with 2 crappies:( We started out on the northeast end then moved to the northwest side. Saw alot on the vex but nothing would bite.. We used the sleds, but for sure by next weekend we should be able to drive out.

how much ice are you guys seeing now, I would like to give a try later in the week but my back won't let me drag everything out. (2 herneated discs) is there a public access on the east side or just the unofficial ones? thanks

Minnbowhunter there was 13 to 14 inches of ice on the north end Sunday and full sized vehicles were driving the lake. There is a DNR landing on the east side just north of the Snake river but I am not sure if it is used during the winter because of the closeness to the Snake river current flow. If you are coming up the east side of the lake on Cty 9 it is just past the Snake. The other one I talked about is up the road about a 1/2 mile from the public access sign. Take a left at the crossroad and when you com to the T at the end about another 1/2 mile you can drive right out on the lake.

Crappiegirl the night bite has been difficult at best especially after 4:30. Most of the people have had the best luck in the mornings. It was still difficult but at least they would bite occassionally. I was out Sunday night and only got one short bite in 2 hours, in the same spot I did will Sat am. I had fish just would not bite.

Otter, thanks for the info, if I understand you right the access you are talking about is north of the Public access? You said coming up the east side so I assume the directions are when you are driving north on 9.

minnbowhunter you are assuming correctly. Driving north on Cty 9 on the east side. Tomorrow morning I will go in that way to work and see what the street name is that you turn on to the left to go down to the lake. I normally use the west side since I fish the northwest corner of the lake.

Hey that acess that you guys are tlking about on 9 i think it is doesnt it say no public lake acess?

holehopper I just taleked to two guys that are driving on to the lake from the east side and there is a road plowed all the way from that spot to the center fishing group. They are not sure if it is marked that way, but everyone uses it to access. There is one on the west side marked that way and everyone coming on from that area use it also. They think they are marked that way for summer time so people don't try to launch boats there and park their vehicles there.

Alright thanks guys i tried using the public acesses there when i went but that was WAY too thin of ice!

I think the access is an old fire road from back in the day. It was there for the fire department to take water from the lake for fires in the area. Many times I have been up there the old man that owns the house on the south side of this road tries to stop people from using it because, well, because he's old. This road is the best option to the center area of the lake. The closest boat access is the one just south of this area and is on the river. Do not use this in the winter, there is current there and thin ice! I would use the north end access for that area, or the fire road for the center lake area.

Great info about the accesses around the lake. How has the bite been lately? Has the morning bite still been the best time to catch a few up there?

Mapguy the bite still seems to be in the morning according to the guys I have talked to. I was out Sunday am but didn't get out until 9:30 and managed to get 8 crappies (8 1/2 to 10 inches)

and 5 gills all around 7 inches, until I left the ice at 1:30. It was really dead after 12:00 but managed a few. Several people I know got their limits of crappies but they were out early and gone by 11:00. I am still fishing the humps on the north end or the shorelines on the breaks at 20 feet. I stay away from the crowds.

BartmanMN those are the only thin areas I am aware of but I fish the far north end and those I know that fish the center from the east access to the north on the lake have not mentioned any thin ice.

Thanks. Coming out tomorrow and plan to hit Cross and Pokegama. Trying to decide which one to hit in the morning and which one to move to in the afternoon. We thought Poki in the AM and Cross in the afternoon, but it sounds like you are having better luck on Cross in the AM.

I would go to pokegama in the morning, i've always had my best luck out there from 8:00-12:00

Oh yeah, guess that decision was up in the air. We decided to fish Cross. Used the middle of the lake access off of cty rd 9. Best bite was morning until around Noon, then is slowed down a bit. Fished a string of holes from 15ft to 20ft of water. Shallower hole seemed to hold more gills then craps, where as the 20 holes held better craps.