• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

haha thats funny lol. Ill try to slow down next time lol. Did u get my message? our smithwicks are here. call me tomorrow morning ill stop by ur place.

This one made all the work we have put in worth it. 29.5"er on the same old rainbow lindy flyer.

steveweb4.jpg

Beast your a funny guy. NOT! grin

Tightlipped thats a good 1st post. Welcome aboard. I like your avatar where did you find that?

Nice fish! N-lander. Didn't make it out this morning, hopefully there is one left out there for me.

Steve, I've got a question for you: When did you win the lottery? How can a guy support himself and a marriage if he's out fishing all the time? And how can I get one of those jobs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Its called shift work man. Fish either mornings or afternoons and on days off both. Its a tough life but Im just the guy to do it. cool

Oh and a very understanding wife who doesnt need me holding her hand all the time. wink

somebody sign these guys up for the comedy tour! Larry the cable guy isnt goona stand a chance.

I don't know what I was thinking! No one can be married and still fish all the time. DUH! The best we can hope for is to fond a gal that will allow us to fish most of the time. I've heard of a gal like that once, but she got divorced.

OK, so I drove over the High Bridge to Superior at lunch, and spied what I believe to be two portables way up to the right, just offshore from where the big pile of coal is kept on the Superior side - about at the corner of that dockage structure that has 1000'ers dock up.

Who's fishing up there...this was at about 1215pm today.

Your guess is as good as mine. Seems to be the same people all the time though.

Heading out right now 2:44. Will report when I come in. Going out of Clyed Ave landing. Wish me luck.

Just me? Or was last night a bust?

Last night was ok for some and this morning was slow. Only got 5 fish with biggest being 23-24" this morning. Fish were not real agressive. Wouldnt rise to hit so I downsized and fished the bottom 4" and they would just come up and tug on it they wouldnt pound it like they have been doing lately. Since that full moon phase left it seems like the fish arent as agressive.

I recently began fishing in the Duluth area (specifically in the bay) and up until tonight I haven't had any luck. Went five times using tipups with large chubs/suckers and didn't catch anything. Finally caught 2 walleyes tonight 'n one snapped my line. I have two questions for Northlander, as your posts have helped me most. What do you use on your tip-up/nonmoving pole and what lb. test do you have on your jig pole? Thanks for the help.

catchsomefish, welcome to HotSpotOutdoors. Great to have you here.

Northlander is definitely the go-to staffer when it comes to 'eyes in the river/bay. This is just my opinion, and it's been quite a few years since I fished the river/bay, but it sounds to me like your bait is pretty big, and might select out all but the larger walleyes, so it's possible you might have been in the right place at the right time, but just with the wrong-sized bait.

I typically use 8 lb mono or 12/4 superbraid on my walleye rigs, and that worked fine all those years ago when I lived and fished down there. My walleye tip-ups have had Trilene XL 10 lb on them for years. Most walleye tip-up bites are low light bites, and really light line doesn't seem to be an issue, especially with the silt/visibility in rivers.

Now, that's just my take, and Northlander is the one among the HSO staffers who has gotten the river/bay dialed totally in, so I'm really interested to hear how he approaches your questions, because I bet I'll be learning something too.

One 23 inches walleye caught tonight on a new spot around Spirit Island. Also about a 18-19 incher lost in hole. Lots of lookers, but no takers. Intresting fact: It was a male walleye and it had a empty stomache. So that is telling me they have been very inactive. Tough time of year to intrest the big boys.

I recently began fishing in the Duluth area (specifically in the bay) and up until tonight I haven't had any luck. Went five times using tipups with large chubs/suckers and didn't catch anything. Finally caught 2 walleyes tonight 'n one snapped my line. I have two questions for Northlander, as your posts have helped me most. What do you use on your tip-up/nonmoving pole and what lb. test do you have on your jig pole? Thanks for the help.

Catchsomefish I have gotten away from tip ups on the river all together now. I have probably caught less than a hand full of fish on a tip up on the river. I use a deadstick along with my jigging rod instead. I feel the jigging next to the deadstick increases your odds of a fish hitting it. Still I would say only 5 to maybe 10 % of my fish are caught on any form of deadsticking. There are days I dont even use the second line because the odds arent there and I dont have to worry about a big fish tangling me up in my other line. I can also really concentrate on my flasher and jigging then.

For deadstick/bobber line its 8# clear XT with a glow moon jig and a couple split shot 8-12" above it.

Jigging rod is 8-10# Power Pro with 8# clear XT leader attached with a small barrel swivel and a cross lock snap at the bussiness end to the spoon/jig.

I like a 32" medium heavy jigging rod with a good sensitive tip and some good back bone. These are river fish they will put on a good fight for ya. Especially if your in a bit of current.

Lately its been keep the lure moving a lot and 8-12" off bottom but the last 2 times out it was keep it by the bottom and quiver or just slowly move up and down.

E-mail me if you need more info.

nice fish biff.hey northlander what chip works the best down there,i have the 2007 navionics and it doesnt show very much.

The new Lakemaster is probably the best. Marine General will have a deal on them at the Boat Show.

Biff thats a beautiful fish. Congrats! Why no face in the picture though? You would think you would want your face in the picture with a once in a lifetime fish.

Biff if you have more pics I would love to see them. Not often a guy gets to see pics of a monster like that caught in his back yard. Please e-mail them to me if you have them, my e-mail is below.

Who are you going to have mount it? Artistic Anglers does great replicas and can also have skin mounts done. Randy Bowe is another good place.

Hey Biff that's the one I missed the other night! ;-) Nice fish, it'll look great on the wall.

Jaxtas I told you you should have dove in after that baby. Now Biff will have it on his wall. LOL.

Congrats again Biff I hope you realize what you caught there.