• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Fished Saturday off the boat ramp in 8 fow. Started at 7:45am and marked fish quickly. Caught a nice 17incher by 8:30 (soft bite) and missed two more before 9. Stopped marking fish by 10 and did not see another mark until 1pm. Slow. Several others shared their bad luck stories, fishing from 5 to 8 fow . 1 fish caught between 5 guys. Red seamed to bring them in with a fathead's head only and a slow presentation. Hope it picks up soon, if not, LOW in two weeks will cure my walleye fever! Good luck out there and be safe with all those 1/2 ton trucks out there.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

The weekend was a slow one to say the least. I saw a lot of nice fish but they sniffed more than bit. They seemed very sluggish and wouldn't chase baits. I resorted to a ice buster bobber cut down to be just barely floating and a bare red #6 VMC hook with a glow bead set 6" off bottom. That caught most of the fish. Seemed the fish that wouldn't hit anything jigging would hit that. Even then they barely took the bobber down.

Highlight of the weekend was a BIG FAT 36" pike that inhaled a Rapala Rippin Shad. It ran several times and so fast my Suffix 832 cut into the ice and I had to get my rod tip under the ice to pop it out.

As far as walleyes I got 6 Saturday morning and 5 all day sunday. All were in the 15-21" range. Bigger fish just wouldn't hit anything I tossed at them.

This morning was just as bad. I fished deeper water in the 16-19' range and caught a lot of dinks but did manage 3 better eyes in the 19-23" range. Best bait this am was a glow perch jigging rap.

Ill be out again this afternoon and trying a shallow late bite spot that hopefully has some bigger fish on it.

We fished Sunday early AM until 11 out from the airport-ish. Most of our action was in the last 2hrs. Caught several dinks (8 between 2 people) with 2 keepers 18" and 16". Fished about 8FOW. Had quite a few hits on the dead stick but no hook-ups. Gold rattler with a small Fathead was my ticket. The keepers never graphed until they were hooked and just SLAMMED the baits. The little ones were the finicky biters and took some finagling to get them to commit. Hopefully I'll have more time come available to get out more than every 2nd week.

A 36" Northern thru the ice and on Eye gear... sounds like a epic battle Northlander. shocked

Yes it was but the old Walleye Stinger handled it great. Tonight was more of the same but did manage some bigger fish. Only got 3 over 15" but the 3 were 19", 21" and 27". All 3 big fish hit the Pink n white VMC Tingler.

Back at it tomorrow afternoon.

Wow I thought with a full moon phase fishing would get better but it continues to be painfully slow for me. I have fished shallow and deep. Shallow like 4' and deep like 23-26' and no difference. Others I have talked with say its the same for them all over the river.

Im going to give the river a break and go see if I can get some crapies on Ilsand Lake this weekend.

I have never fished Duluth but will be there tomorrow morning for 5-6 hours and would like to do some ice fishing. I am headed to Iron River Wi eventually to chase crappies & gills but thought about chasing some Walleye's before heading out. Is it easy to access the St Louis River? Is there truck access or are folks walking out. Any information shared will be appreciated. Feel free to PM if you prefer. Not interested in keeping fish, or exact spots to fish. Just looking to get on a new body of water and try something new. Thanks.

dougr...

There is drive on access off of park point in 2 different spots, one around the 3900 block area ( Duluth Rowing club), and further down @ Park Point (Duluth Sailing club). Full size P/U, SUV and some smaller wheel houses have been out on the ice, but remember it IS a river and current is always present. I've walked out every time so far. There is about 16" of ice.

If you have an GPS or Navionics it will help figuring out the depths quicker (Huge amount of flats on the MN side) and finding channels and trenches. Be leery of the shipping channel area, but lately I have seen people out fishing that area

I can't help you if you are looking for info for the WI side, hopefully someone else will pipe in.

Been slow out there, Good Luck!

Either there aren't many fish around or all the pressure these threads bring to the bay has made an impact. I'm not even graphing many the last couple weeks. The ones I catch come in and slam the bait.

Im seeing fish they just wont eat what I got to give them. They come in waves. Weekends are the worst of course. Its crazy but every place I have fished on the river, upper or lower, has been slow the past week.

Thanks to everyone for the great information. I will probably get on the river at 11am and fish till 6pm. I drive a Silver Oldsmobile Bravado and fish out of a Black Camo Otter Cottage. Feel free to stop by and say hello.

Doug the bite is best 3-about 1/2 hr. after dark. Ill keep a eye out for ya. I PMed you my cel #.

Thanks Osok..My company (Enventis) has a office in Duluth so I will be spending more time up there. Maybe we could fish another time.

Steve,

Maybe I will burn a few hours in the office before I head out. I have your number and will give you a call around 3pm.

I am pretty sure this is a big reason why this site was started. Just by reaching out I was able to get the information needed to get me started in the right direction, and now have a opportunity to meet fellow fisherman. Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to returning the favor.

Hello everyone! New guy here! For the past few days I have really been enjoying this thread as I am new to fishing and new to the St Louis River. I want to personally thank everyone who has shared their info as it has provided me with some great jump off material. I have been enjoying the SLR recreationally for the past few years and just started fishing it late last summer when I bought my first boat. Hope to see some of you out on the ice! I'll likely be the only guy in a hole ridden Clam Jr!

Bmak,

My clam has been feeding an entire army of mice for the past few years. There are so many holes in it that I've been asked by the Swiss if I'd be interested in advertising their cheese. (Who'd want to eat a piece of blue Swiss cheese, anyway?)

Some of the iron on patches will hold for a year or so, but to be permanent, you really need to sew them on. If I weren't so steenking cheap, I'd buy a new shelter that tows easier. If anybody out there is looking to unload a gently used and easily towed by hand shelter, PM with the details. Thanks.

Hit the harbor on Saturday from sun up to sun down. Threw the box at em even tried 2 different minnows but had 0 luck out of 4 guys. I was hearing the same from others on the harbor. Hoping for better luck on the next run.

New to the area and have been reading this thread. Im heading out of park point this afternoon and just need some general info. Just wondering how far you have to go out cause I am going to have to walk out . Also what depths are people fishing out there ? Any info will help thanks !

Best advice I can give ya is get a Lakemaster chip for the river...I got one for last year and its definately increased my catch rate...As far as fishing down there its been slow lately...Most people fish the 6-8ft flats and humps early and late...When you go out, don't go by them permanent houses you'll have everybody coming by you and drilling at primetime...I'm assuming that's because people think the good spots are by the permanents and so people go there...Good luck out there, I'm going to try it in the morning, so hopefully its picked up

Any thing good happing out in the harbor? See less and less people all the time. Must still be slow?

When we were traveling from Duluth to Superior we saw 4 large wolves on the ice running across the bay. Scary them things are in town!!!

As far as them wolves go they have been following the deer that are feeding around the railroad tracks in Duluth and Superior. Keep your pets in sight. wink

When I was on the freeway I thought I saw at least 2 wolves on the river...Start bringing the rifle with while I'm fishing wink

Good night of fishing tonight on the bay. I caught 9 eyes all between 14 and 19". Best bait was a Get Bit Glow perch castmaster. Window was only about 45 minutes and only sniffers after 5:30 pm.

I was in 6.5' of water tonight. Water clarity seems better lately too.

Hello all. I was thinking of fishing down on the river this Saturday. I am wondering about ice/travel conditions. I know the access close to lift bridge is always "ify" so I was thinking about driving down canal. How much ice is down there? enough to drive on? I know to stay away from the channel, I'm just hoping to shorten my walk a bit. Thank you