• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Either or license works, catching fish in the harbor too! Live bait chubs. If you decide to navigate up there (boyscout areas) be careful. Good luck!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

I just always thought there was 1 particular area that was considered WI waters for whatever reason. I have a small boat, but yeah, sounds like the river is pretty interesting ever since last year's flood. I'm assuming you guys are talking about rainbow chubs? What bait shop carries them? Thanks for all the help also wink

Im using fatheads and light pike. The crappies like the fatheads and smaller light pike and the eyes have been hitting the bigger light pikes.

Ya fathead will do the trick (any bait shop should have them. Crappie minnows will work as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Fished loonsfoot and the nemadji for crappies today and found a few in deeper holes suspended. A few walleyes too but they were tight to the inside turns. Jiggin spoons and jigging raps did the trick. Try again tomorrow if winds let me.

Thanks for the report Northlander! I was considering (reluctantly) putting the boat to bed for the year. But with that report, I do believe that after Deer opener weekend I will have to find time to hit the river.

Im holding on, it looks like it will get cold for a bit but then hit the 50's.

If I cant fish out of the Otter I might as well keep the Lund ready.

I like your style!

Im holding on, it looks like it will get cold for a bit but then hit the 50's.

If I cant fish out of the Otter I might as well keep the Lund ready.

walleyes were hungry today in the deeper areas of the bay. VMC Rattles spoons and jigging raps were best. A few on jigs.

Is there an increase in walleye numbers as the fall goes on from fish coming in from the lake or is it too early to really have any effect? I was always curious...I never get to try it as there is too much trout/salmon fishing going on in the fall.

Boat is done for the season. My hands are still cold. No snow and cold can come now. See ya at the ice shows,

full-39841-38967-cam00510.jpg

The good ole St. louis in Cloquet from my work...I saw the bays were froze over when I came down Thomson hill...Can't wait to hit the bay and river for eyes and crappies

Anyone know if boyscout is usable yet?

Are boyscout and clyde iced in or are you still able to get a boat in?

Thanks for the help.

Boyscout is a no go until next year I believe. I'm headed out to Oliver soon to give it one last shot. I might swing by Clyde to take a look.

• 3 weeks later...

Thats crazy wonder how much ice he was on, couldn't be much...Has anyone checked the bays upstream?? I was thinking of checking out Kimballs or Pokegama wednesday...

Pokegs gate was closed today, I'm sure that there may be is fishable ice though, well check that... Don't know what this snows going to do to the waters. And walking on the Harbor? Wow, I was watching the ice sheet move out there just a day ago. No way is that area ready. I'd stick to the safe areas!

Went for a ride down to park point yesterday, there were some patches of open water and a lot of cracks...This weekend should lock that all up...I was happy to see no snow on the ice....Hoping when I get home from Red Lake I can hit the bay....be safe out there

I was out of park point yesterday in about 8FOW had a nice fish hit. I had several others come in and show interest but nothing else committed. I was on 10" of white pack ice. Does anyone spend any time putting a deadstick or a tipup out for eyes while jigging? Also can you use automatic fishermans in the harbor? Any input would be great.

Can not use the automatic anything in Mn waters. Tip ups are not productive enough for me so I just jig and have a deadstick I play with every once in a while when I see fish on the Marcum

Anyone else have an ice report from the bay? Tough to get down there during daylight and check myself with these short days.

Not sure how thick the ice is, but I went down there today on my way home to see how it was looking and if anyone is fishing yet...There were probably 7 or so groups out there fishing so it's got walkable ice...I might go try it tomorrow after work, definately bring your spud bar and safety equipment...Maybe someone that was out there will update us on ice

From what I could tell on the Superior side, it looked like there might have been a wheeler out there. I plan on hitting it Saturday morning. 99% of my ice time is solo, and early ice creeps me out. If anyone wants to follow me out, let me know. Would be nice having someone to pull me out!

Fishing sucked except for a huge pout, but ice was walkable. I did not venture to far off for obvious early river ice reasons but talked to some guys said they saw a snowmachine out yesterday. Where I set up it was good ice. Be careful if your gonna give here a go! Can never let your guard down when iceN the river. Good luck

So, how much ice did you all have? 5", 10", what? I got a report from a buddy of 5-6" from another buddy who was down there last weekend. I'll be out Saturday and will report ice conditions and thickness where I am at.

I have found 4-8" the past few days. I actually took the sled out and glad I did. Some spots are a haul to get to walking and pulling a house.