• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Yup stay away from the crowds and hope they dont ingulf you.

I agree on the depths. I caught fish in 5' of water and 22' of water this morning.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

I caught fish in 5' of water and 22' of water this morning.

ha,gotta love those river walleys! Is there any current down there?

Current every where in the river. Even some back bays have current at times. If you pay attention it will switch and go both up and down river.

N-lander I saw my jigs in spots heading up river as well, thought I was losing it. I guess that far down on the river you are at the lake level, so I suppose water moves all over the place.

You will get this Siege (SP?) effect all the way to the 23 bridge. Its something to do with the big lakes water moving in and out.

That's seiche Steve. wink

For all wondering...(pr. SAYSH, a French word that means 'to sway back and forth'). When water piles up on one side of the lake because of wind or high pressure then shifts back to the other side. Not an inland tide.

Another good morning on the river. Very short window but did manage 9 fish. Biggest 27" and most 16-21". All tossed back for someone else to enjoy down the road.

any tips on where to fish near park point? going there in couple hours and lookin to slaughter 'em! ......hopefully

The internet is a great tool for somethings, but I think it is making todays fisherman pretty lazy. If you want to catch fish the option to go out and purchase a lake map and research your own hotspots is always there. That option seemed to work well long before the internet was available. Otherwise to catch fish off of Park Point do what the majority of the people do and go set up by someone else that is already set up.

Good Luck

Beastlight please read forum posting rules before posting again. Misinformation is not cool here.

The bite can be anywhere from 6:30am to 9:30 or 10am. From then until about 4pm its pretty slim pickens unless you fish them deep.

As far as a spot I suggest staying away from others and fishing any type of drops, humps, trofts, saddles. It may only be 1-3" difference but thats holding fish. They just dont seem to be on the flats as much.

You can be 10 yards from someone who is pounding them and you can be blanked or the opposite can happen.

Based on what has been said, it seems 8 to 13 ft is the norm for the morning bite...what would be considered deep for the afternoon, 15, 20, 25?

washing lures, while my brother "fiasco" may be lazy, we do have plenty of maps and have done much research.however due to kids/jobs & such we dont have the luxury of many hours to scout the fish.not looking for anyones secret hotspots(well maybe northlanders-he seems to have the good ones lol) just dont wanna be in 8-10 fow if nobodys caught any there for awhile.after all why read the forum at all then?not trying to bicker i just wanted to set record straight.and by the way-thanks to everyone for all the great info on here.it does help.

We are all about helping people have fun here. Not going to give spots or GPS coords but will give general info that will help you hopefully get on some fish. Maybe even get them to bite.

With out giving you spots, that would have not only you but 100 others on it, I can say the majority of my fish this week have come from 6-9' of water. The biggest key is getting away from others, hoping they dont come to you, and use the baits I listed and you should be ok.

People have been sensitive to giving information out about fishing long before internet came along. I remember some old timers that would flip out if you told them where you went fishing. I think its great we get more people out fishing and whatever it takes to get them out there. There has been a huge decline in kids and new people getting intrested in the sport.

Does it suck that tons of people come to your spot to fish, yes. But, that also brings money into local economy and dnr receives money from liciense so they can keep stocking them hot spots full of fish.

I'm a father and one of the first things I had to teach my kids is to share. I think we need to keep reminding our fellow fisherman the same. I want my kids to be doing what I'm doing and hopefully my grandkids also.

People have been sensitive to giving information out about fishing long before internet came along. I remember some old timers that would flip out if you told them where you went fishing. I think its great we get more people out fishing and whatever it takes to get them out there. There has been a huge decline in kids and new people getting intrested in the sport.

Does it suck that tons of people come to your spot to fish, yes. But, that also brings money into local economy and dnr receives money from liciense so they can keep stocking them hot spots full of fish.

I'm a father and one of the first things I had to teach my kids is to share. I think we need to keep reminding our fellow fisherman the same. I want my kids to be doing what I'm doing and hopefully my grandkids also.

x2 Here!!

I would take NL's advice and stay off the flats (5-10 ft) and fish the more productive spots -drops, humps, trofts, saddles that are 6-9 ft

Lots of small ones out there this morning. Missed a bigger one early and one late, but did manage to bring home one 18" walleye for dinner.

To all those that wonder if you can catch eyes during the day. The answer is yes. I caught one 17 incher at 11:55am. Not much action until then, but proofs there still there. Most of the fish caught this morning were between 9:00 - 9:30. Its funny how the time the fish bite change from day to day.

Sure you can get a fluke here and there in the day but I wont sit out past 9:30 to catch 1 fish between 9:30 and 3pm thats for sure. Sure you can get a fluke here and there but a guy is much better off playing the prime time bites. Unless your in a perm watching bobbers and playing cards and drinking brew.

Phil you are right the bite seems to be a bit longer in the morning but after 9:30 Im out searching new areas to fish away from the crowds.

Kettleriverkid got a nice fat 29.5" tonight. Congrats Rob!

I usually pull off by 9:30-10:00 Saturday was the first time I actually stayed out tell 1:00. Was it worth it. Well sometimes it is just hard to pull lines up. I was with a friend that wanted to stay out also.

I hear ya there man. I did a couple all dayers this year and moved around a lot and only got 2 mid day fish in 2 days for my efforts. I wont do that again. Ill go home and sleep or do chores and then go back for the "Prime Time".

I have been moving and hitting new but simular spots and its paying off. No need to fish on top of people, gps others spots or fish in a tent city.

The Hot Spots book or a GPS Chip will show you many many good spots to fish.

Fish are being caught from the Airport to the Hi Bridge so spread out, get away from the crowd noise and you will be fine. Lots of fish in the system right now.

A friend says to me the other day "Is the water clearer than usual"? Got me thinking that that may have something to do with the good bite we have. Zebra muscles doing this? Maybe. Im sure thats part of it anyways.

Yesterday the nearest person to me was at least 300 yards. I havn't fished near anyone all year. Exept around spirit island where I met a couple guys.

Phil its nice when you do the work to find a new spot, set up and not have a city join you isnt it? Thats the chalange out there now. Thats why I like week days the best. I will however be out tonight hitting a new spot that sure looks promising on the GPS. Just like several areas we have been catching fish on lately.

I wish there was more snow I would be running all over the place with my snowmobile.

I hear ya there man. I did a couple all dayers this year and moved around a lot and only got 2 mid day fish in 2 days for my efforts. I wont do that again. Ill go home and sleep or do chores and then go back for the "Prime Time".

I have been moving and hitting new but simular spots and its paying off. No need to fish on top of people or in a tent city.

The Hot Spots book or a GPS Chip will show you many mnay good spots to fish.

Fish are being caught from the Airport to the Hi Bridge so spread out, get away from the crowd noise and you will be fine. Lots of fish in the system right now.

A friend says to me the other day "Is the water clearer than usual"? Got me thinking that that may have something to do with the good bite we have. Zebra muscles doing this? Maybe. Im sure thats part of it anyways.

Was that me steve or did someone else notice it also cuz i rebember telling u that i thought it was alot clearer than normal. The other day when i was out i could see zebra muscles on the bottom in 7 fow....

Also fishing sucked this morning, a few lookers but couldnt get anything to chase it up.