• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Any luck out on this ice today. I had a slow day. A nice big old strugeon is all.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

The bite was good for the guys I knew that were out. Short window but a nice 27" was landed.

It looked like a zoo out there today in the harbor from Mesaba Ave. I swung by the Smithville landing to see if anyone was fishing out there and saw a few trucks out on Spirit Lake. I was kind of surprised to see trucks out there. Do any of you guys drive on the ice in this area?

I have been driving out there for a couple of weeks. I would personal not drive on the main river channel. Plus this warmer weather we have been having I'm not sure what it will do to the ice on the river. Ever where I go there is 18 - 20 inches ice

It looked like a zoo out there today in the harbor from Mesaba Ave. I swung by the Smithville landing to see if anyone was fishing out there and saw a few trucks out on Spirit Lake. I was kind of surprised to see trucks out there. Do any of you guys drive on the ice in this area?

Not any more. Its just a very short walk to fishing waters up there. No need to drive a truck. Always a few that will do it though. I used to when I was younger and dumber.

Ya a lot of guys on the bay this morning. I tend to take Saturdays off and let the weekend warriors have at it for a bit before I head back out. It seems like the Saturdays are crazy and then Sundays mellow and then weekdays are doable for sure. Lets hope we dont get any type of weather that messes up the real good ice we have down there now.

Drove out this morning and everything was good, plenty of trucks out there. Then on the way out at 9:30 I noticed several 2-3 inch cracks on the way back out I hadn't seen before. I went back down there at about 12:30 as I was headed home and I would not have driven on the ice. The ice sheet seems to be breaking up possibly. There were no trucks out there and only 2-3 cars. Be careful.

Be careful. This warm weather and rain will surely open up some cracks. Watch the pressure ridges N/E of the landing.

how's ice by park point? got big plans to slaughter 'em if the ice is tolerable

Like I said you will be able to walk out at least. Plenty of ice but some cracks may open and maybe some shoreline areas as well. If this snow sticks it will be snowmobile for me for a while.

I think I will take that advice and just hoof it. I could use the exercise and I'm not a fan of swimming in the winter.

Im sitting tonight out. I dont feel like sitting in the rain tonight. Its all rain down by the lake. At least until temps drop down there.

Besides I might as well watch the Vikings once this year. wink

Quote:
Besides I might as well watch the Vikings once this year.

I hope you didn't make that mistake!

Has anybody been down on the harbor since all of this rain/snow moved in over the weekend? I'm looking to head out in the morning for a few hours but am not sure what the ice is looking like after all of this...

Verb, good 2 inches of slush and water last night. Walked out because of ice conditions. Some smaller trucks were out, but I didn't want to risk it. Used my yaktrax and they helped out a lot with slipping on the ice, wouldn't want to fall over out there unless you want to take a bath. Hopefully the cold coming this week will freeze everything back up.

Ya pretty wet out there in spots. It could be a real mess after the snow we got down here tonight. I would recomend wheelers or sleds until the cold locks it back up.

Fishing was slower tonight but then I just walked out to a spot off barkers for a few hours. Got 5 fish all were smaller but 1 that was in the 18" range.

Tomorrow afternoon Ill sled out and see what I can do.

Ice was solid but sloppy on top. Past years I've seen inconsistent thickness of ice due to stronger currents with this much rain. I never quite trust the river ... no problem with a wheeler.

Another good night on the bay. The Rainbow Lindy Flyer continues to be hot during the light periods and low light the glow orange perch buckshot is getting it done. Some nice fatty's too.

Went off Park Point today. Plenty of vehicle out there. Got skunked again (4th time out of 4), except for one sturgeon. No slush out there, easy going. Why can't I catch a darn walleye out there? I've tried everything in my arsenal in 8-11 FOW, but have never connected. Any ideas? I've only fished evenings. Thanks in advance!

Evenings have been best for me. Today it was 3:15-5:15 were best. Get away from others when possible. Lately my fish have come from 6.5' to 8' of water.

Lindy rainbow flyer has been HOT. A big chub 3-5" off bottom has taken a few nice fish as well. Once it gets dusk I go to a glowing orange perch buckshot and bang bottom every once in a while. The fish we have been getting have been very agresssive and taking the whole spoon in their mouths at times.

Make them chase and keep the spoon moving until the fish is covering your spoon on the flasher.

It also pays to keep fresh minnow heads or tails on your spoons. Change every 10 minutes at least.

Hey there, Im new to this message board and I enjoy reading about all the info. I went out this morning on the bay off of park point and marked a couple fish and caught one eye that was around 21 inches. I missed another one also, that was a bummer. The Lindy flyer worked for me. I have a question though, is the bay only good early in the morning and evenings? As I was coming off at about 10am, there was people coming out at 9-10am. Just wondering if its worth sitting mid-day? Anybody have any thoughts??

Truer words have never been spoken, Heartman.

Of course if you're a bear, or if your working at the Fulton Fish Market. You can catch a fish without fishing line, just need good hands.

In my experience your better off fishing from sun up to about 9:30am and then fishing 2:30pm to about 1/2 hour after dark.

You can get a stray during the day time but its just not worth the wait in my opinion. You may get 1 or 2 during the day but it gets mighty boring. I use them daylight times to serach out new fishing spots so when the crowd catches up I have other spots to work.

Are people driving out there at all? I got a small pick up with 4 x4 drive. i wouldnt go far but just get out on the ice... any input? thanks....

i was just out there tonight & saw tire tracks from trucks in a few spots.looked fresh.another guy told my he'd been taking his blazer out there.i walk out.got skunked too.oh well, it was dark but nice just to get out.is it even worth a try at night?its about the only time i can fish besides the weekend warrior bit.

From my experience it is not that you can't, but the walleye bite drops off significantly. Also the sturgeon become more active with an occasional catfish. It can be fun to catch a sturgeon, but it's illegal to target them. Also you are in for a fight since a sturgeon will run until its exhausted and 45min later...

Well the fish in the river are always moving, Just like the spring and summer they are hear one day and gone the next but keep moving. The fish are hungry and looking for food so look for the spots where you fished in years past on soft water and they will be there looking to eat. I like to stay away from crowds it would be nice to have a dry suit and see what the fish see in all those crowds it must look like a mind field and eventually the fish will get spooked with all that hard where down there. so the best fishing will be had by that one guy fishing 150 yards away from the crowds. Good fishing to all and do not be afraid to fish them shallow and deep 4 feet to 20 feet try all depths the river is very clear this winter.