• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone know how the winter channel cat bite is out there? I would love to ice fish for some cats sometime this winter. How thick does the ice usually get out there?

If you don't want to post my email is [email protected]

I know there are some Rochester guys that pass through here from time to time that would know a few things about that wink

I have never targeted them out there but can tell you that there are days I have caught a pile of channels through the ice. I am not sure what brought them in or if the spot is a classic channel spot but they are fun and most are 2+lbs and some much larger. The spot that seems to always produce is what we called the high banks. They are about a mile upstream from the Dam around the corner from what I believe is Ryan's Bay. You will notice the very steep banks on the east side of lake just around the large bend. There will more than likely be fisherman there. Can be a good crappie spot as well and 15-18' if I remember right. Been a year or two since I have been down there.

The ice is typical of a reservoir, never seems to get very thick but 12-18" is typical it can be more depending on water levels but vehicles do drive the lake. I always wait until I have seen numerous vehicles out there before I drive out as the first group of guys to drive that lake can be dare devils!

There can be times where the channel cat bite out there can be great! The area that was mentioned above is good, it's actually called Rattlesnake point. It is the south side of the point that is being talked about here. I have caught a few there, there are other areas that produce as well, just need to venture around and look for them. Ice thickness can vary as mentioned, but last year was pretty solid out there with the cold weather, there was drivealbe ice for quite a bit of the season. But as with any ice, it can vary. I know of foot travel out there at this point, up to 7 inches in spots, and as little as 2 inches in others, so caution is a necessity at this time.

When looking for channels out there, look for the deeper water relative the area, they seem to congregate in those areas during the winter months. I have seen them bite on pretty much anything during the winter, from finesse plastics, to cutbait and everything in between. Just need to be prepared with an assortment of baits when you target them. Good luck out there!

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it. Is there somewhere I can purchase a lake map for this lake that has the names of the points?

My H20 shows the names of the points. Thanks again guys! Im looking forward to heading over there sometime in January.

The Navionics chip for the H2O is excellent for the lake. Has alot of info. As far as "paper" maps, I have not seen one anywhere.

I wish it was on the lakemaster because thats the one I have. I can't wait to make a trip over there I have never caught a channel through the ice.

i fished there almost everyday last year and it seemed like the middle of the day was best and i always caught them on spikes, 5' off bottom. they are a blast to catch good luck getting them.

does anyone know how the ice is out there yet? or any type of bite going on out there?