• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin' the Chain '10

catfreak

Ive had the best luck with a spring bobber and a medium to small jigging spoon and a minnow head when it twitches give them the business

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• Borch

• aanderud

• Rick G

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know if the lake is sedan accessible? Or would I need something with 4 wheel drive to get on the lake? Also, wondering how long of a walk it is from the closest parking to the meth hole?

Pay close attention to the tips Aanderud provided, he really gives those cats the bidness when we are up there!

I'd pass on the sedan Roman. It's going to be a lot less work to walk out there than having to dig out a full size car. It's about 1/2mile walk as the crow flies from 22 and probably a mile or more from the winter access.

The walk from 22 isn't too bad, 4 tenths or so if you walk out past the north side of the island. If you load up on gear and weigh 220 lbs like I do, it's a bit of a workout...but the average guy can probably do it and break very little sweat.

Ive had the best luck with a spring bobber and a medium to small jigging spoon and a minnow head when it twitches give them the business

I agree, if one can fish with a spring bobber you'll absolutely smoke em. However, I never have been able to really get the spring bobber tactic down. I can't hold the rod steady enough it seems. I think an appropriate-sized ice buster bobber works almost as well...obviously they don't take it under, but hammering them when the yellow moves is pretty easy.

hope to see all of u guys out there and good luck. If you guys smell fried fish and sausages around noon thats me. HERE KITTY KITTY!!

aanderud i hear ya i kinda get the shakes when i see a big mark on the flasher coming up but i really like the spring bobber ill be up there tomorow fishing cats on some lesser known parts of the chain that have recently started producing for me if I get done early ill stop by the community whole and say hi to everyone.

I have Monday and Tuesday off from work and my plan is to hit the meth hole area at least one of those days. My choices for transport on the ice are my two wheel drive truck with chains or my ATV with chains all around and towing my gear in a trailer. If the ATV, where would be the best truck parking area. If I pull onto the lake at the winter access, would I be able to climb back off without putting on the chains? And would it be better to hit in the morning or afternoon/evening? I haven't caught a cat through the ice for quite a while and I'm getting itchy to try.

Anyone else going to head out Mon. or Tues.? Good luck out there this weekend, guys, and leave a few fish for me.

Bob,

I don't have any experience with 2 wheel drive trucks coming off that steep access, but I don't think I'd want to drag an ATV trailer up the steep ramp.

Unless your trailer is absolute huge, you shouldn't have trouble parking along the road near the winter access. We did that earlier in the year with a 2-wide snowmobile trailer with no problem. Given that most people will pull onto the lake to park or drive right out to their spots now, the roadside should not be too congested.

I would strongly recommend you try the evening bite. During daylight hours, drill holes til you find a spot that has at least an occasional large fish swim by (every few minutes). That same spot with the 'occasional' daylight fish will light your sonar up like a christmas tree as the sun start setting until the time you decide to leave.

We had a very tough time getting up the access with a 4-wheel drive truck and a trailer. Not saying it isn't possible but it will be tough!

I might try to make it back up there next weekend!

I didn't have any issue getting back up, but I guess I did get a run for it, which is also a little scary since the you can't see cross traffic very well.

I think a guy could get up alright with 2wd and no trailer, just don't slow down laugh

If there is room to park my truck by the edge of the road, that will work for me.I haul my ATV in a 4x8 tilt bed trailer. When I get there, I off-load and hook the trailer to the ATV. I load all gear and the house into the trailer and goooooo. As I recall, there are a couple places in town for bait, so I should be good to go. Thanks for the advice, guys.

I didn't have any issue getting back up, but I guess I did get a run for it, which is also a little scary since the you can't see cross traffic very well.

I didn't add the part about jack knifing the trailer and taking a really bad angle at it....Having a "spotter" up on the road is a great idea if you have two people!

I am heading out there too later today and tomorrow morning, hope the fish are still biting, I want to hook a few and will be driving my 4wd truck.

It was hit or miss out there tonight. Me and the 8 year old nephew hauled in 36 cats and a single rock bass. New record for him, 21 beats his old record of 20 set last year. Not sure if we can keep breaking records or not.

Gordie, thanks for letting us pull up right next to you. Not sure how many we would have caught in that first spot.

The bite after dark was more consistant tonight but the ones I got during the day were real agressive. Fished 32fow and only managed around a dozen cats but got some nice crappies and one fat walleye so my day wasnt all bad. The warm weather and falling preasure in the next few days should help the bite out a bit I hope. Will be back after them again some time after lunch on Sun. Good luck to all.

I just can't get enough of this stuff!

Even though our house wasn't in the dozens, we caught our fair share, and the ones we did catch were very nice size.

Nice seeing everyone out there today, it was like a mini gathering.

Hats off to the group that was out there after dark without a shelter and only a propane lantern. You guys were hardcore!

Once again the bite was very light and it took paying very close attention to get a hookup.

005.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It was pretty slow for us tonight. Far more lookers than biters but did end up with a couple as well some crappies and small walleyes. Tom ended up with a rockie too.

Bite was very, very light tonight for us.

I also saw the guys out there with the lanterns and it Kinda reminded me of the old days when I must have been much tougher.

It should be a good day out their today. Temps should be up nice. Should be a group on the meth hole today. I wish I was going. frown. One of the groups I know that will be out their was on the Miss. North yesterday fishing channels in open water. grin I directed them here and to the Cool Cats GT map.

Good luck to anyone going today!!!!

BTW, we had a solid 20" of ice, maybe closer to 21. Lots of vehicle traffic. The road is an fair shape, lots of frozen ruts.

I tell ya what, my nephew Brandon is only 8 years old, but he's a trooper. For a guy who's only been out ice fishing 6 times to come out and hook into 6 cats of his own when it's below zero, reeling up 15 more that were handed off by me, and let me catch a pile of fish too, it's great.

He's learned to read the sonar quite well. Often when reeling up a bigger fish, his bobber stop would catch on his eyelet on the rod and slide some number of feet. He knows to adjust his own bobber stop after catching a fish so that the hook is right at the top of the "hurricane" of fish on the marcum (that is his word for when there were 5 or more catfish on the screen at once -- he also dubbed "tornado" to mean when there were 3-4 catfish on the screen and "wind storm" if there were only 1-2 fish on the screen).

He never once asked if we were going home or what time it was or how much longer, and we were on the lake for over 6 hours (started fishing at 230, stopped at 830).

Here's a pic:

2010-01-0917_31_40.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quite the young fisherman!

I had this furry creature on my fishhouse when I packed up last night.

Know anything about this Scott? wink

I have Monday off as well and was thinking of getting out there, I have not been there in quite a few years. Seems like there is a chance of getting into some crapps as well as the occasional eye while catching these nice looking fish. Anyone want to meet up let me know, shoot me an email.

[email protected]

fishing was kinda slow during the day today, there were more people showing up as we were leaving. I did manage a few and they were way off the bottom. I am going back Tuesday for some evening action.

Hey Golfer, my #4 son and I are hoping to be there about 2pm on Monday. I'm driving a blue Chev pickup with a topper and I plan to park on the road by the winter access. I'm bringing the ATV so I can haul our gear out with the trailer. If you choose to not drive onto the lake I can haul your stuff out too. I'll have my cell phone turned on and my # is 612-508-3367. We plan on staying until after dark. We,ll be setting up a Clam 6800. Hope to see you there.

had a lot of fun on the chain with papagrump caught a couple channels and a few rocky's Brian's Nephew is a fishin machine guys watch out for him. He schooled a bunch of die hard cat guys last night.

I went up the access landing in 2wd last night and I wasnt driveing like a mad man either. Timeing and momentum are the key to it. yea I got 4wd but why use it if you dont have to..