• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New wheelhouse...finishing questions

mediocrates67

Question

So I just bought an 8x16+V-nose Ice Castle shell and I'm pumped! I'm a bit behind on the timeline, but I have the shell now and am ready to finish the inside. I will be posting pics as the process goes along, but I need your help with some things and will be posting questions. I tried this last year but I didn't trust the frame, so I started over.

most of my questions will have to do with the wiring and the gas hookups.

Here's what I have that needs to be assembled:

20,000 BTU forced air furnace

cooktop with oven

range hood

hole catch covers

lights

12 volt receptacles

110 receptacles

gas lights

lp tank holder

bathroom

bunks

car stereo

45 amp converter

THANKS!

• Answers 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• mediocrates67

• Big Buck Buster

• boulderbob

• sticknstring

another question...is it safe to drive with the tanks on the lp holder outside the house? i haven't put the holder on yet to see how sturdy it is, but i don't know what everyone else does about that.

another question...is it safe to drive with the tanks on the lp holder outside the house? i haven't put the holder on yet to see how sturdy it is, but i don't know what everyone else does about that.

I never drive with the propane on, but I'm very cautious! I just never want them to fly off and kill someone down the road, or if I was in an accident have one get hit and explode of any other countless things that could happen. I just get a couple milk crates and they fit perfect in the bathroom of the house and ratchet them to 2 eye bolts.

My tanks are on the holder all the time, in fact if I stop for bait on the way to the lake, I turn the heat on in the house, I have a nice warm house when I get to the lake.

ok, so all the gas is hooked up and i'm trying to get the heater going today. it has red and black to go to the battery and one white to the thermostat. previously someone said i could use any thermostat, but the one i have has several spots for wires. can i just wire the white to the white and that will be it...or do i need a different thermostat?

pics to come this afternoon after it is insulated.

here are today's pics...yes it's coming slow but i have all the insulation cut and ready to get shoved in. should be able to get the paneling done in a couple days. the heater, stove and gas light all work perfectly.

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

hello,

I have the problem,or ? have two wires from furnace, and 7 spots I could put them G Y W RH B O RC thanx for the help dale

arc,

on mine, i had wires from the heater...red, black, white. red to pos battery, black to neg battery, white to W on thermostat. then you need to run a separate positive from the thermostat R to the battery and make sure the battery is grounded.

also make sure you have a heat only thermostat.

another question...i have a 12V switch for my hole lights. there are two terminals for each switch, but how does it wire together with the input? there is the black and red in from power, and then two black and reds going to each light, for a total of 6 wires.

heading out for the maiden voyage this weekend to either winnie or leech. the wheelhouse isn't finished, but fishable.

maiden voyage a success! got into the perch on winnie. still some paneling and shelves to finish, but overall it works!

FIRST FISH IN THE NEW HOUSE!

IMAG0045.jpg

MY FIRST FISH IN THE NEW HOUSE!

IMAG0046.jpg

NICE JUMBO

IMAG0047.jpg

I'll be putting the carpet in soon. I'll probably do an indoor/outdoor type carpet. Anyone have recommendations? Do I just use a regular carpet adhesive glue for that?

I wouldn't glue it down. If the water gets under the glue and the carpet, it will come up anyway. I was told this by a carpet installer. He said we would be wasting out time and money by gluing it down. Just staple it down to the plywood.

Idk about the glue coming loose. I've had mine glued down for about 4 or 5 years now, and is not showing any sign of coming loose.

I put carpet in mine last week. I originally bought adhesive but you need the temps to be above 50 degrees for 24 hrs. I returned that and bought the heavy duty two-sided tape and it worked great. I also have catch covers which help keep it down as well. Nice house and "decor" by the way.

Do not glue it, you can run into problems with it and if you want to replace it you'll have a big pain in the rear on your hands. Just lay it down and staple the edges, the catch covers will do the rest. You can also put some thin insulation under the carpet for padding and additional warmth; I assume you insulated the floor, if not you'll want something under the carpet.

I really don't think glueing is a problem ,i'v had three houses with glue down and no problems ever .ask yourself why all factory built houses have glue down?have you bought your paneling yet? i use basswood as it's the lightest wood besides balsem you can get and not real expensive,i just done a house 8x19 vfront and cost was under 300.have pictures if you want .good luck

Yeah post some pictures of the siding and where you got the material. I've been searching for awhile for pine tongue & groove but am open to other lighter suggestions.

Boulderbob - I'd also be interested. Looking at cedar but wow, little more than i'd like to spend and other than big box stores it's tough to find anything under 1" in cedar. If you can post pics and where you bought it would be great!!

Thanks!!

i'll get some pics on here later today. my paneling is from menards. it's a beaded pine, 3/8" in a 4x8 sheet for like 17-18 bucks each. the 3/4" T&G is just too heavy, and the 1/4" T&G seems like it would be too thin.

thanks for the advice on the carpet everyone!

Your house is going to weigh high if you go with that for your inside paneling. I would go with the 1/4" tongue and groove.

The last house that I built for my neighbor we used that stuff. It was 8'X14' with 4' v-front. It weighed in at 3,650#'s.

This last house that I built for him is 8'X16'w/4'v-front. We used the 1/4" tongue and groove in this one. Even thought the house is larger, it weighed in lower that the 14' did. It weighed 3,560#'s. We also have two more bunks in this one than the last, more cabinets.

Just a thought for you.

It's not very heavy stuff, but thanks for the concern. I've seen other houses with the T&G twice as thick.

Only have a few sheets left to put on then I can finish the bunks and get a couple cabinets built.

Here is the latest photo.

IMAG0050.jpg