• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New wheelhouse...finishing questions

mediocrates67

Question

So I just bought an 8x16+V-nose Ice Castle shell and I'm pumped! I'm a bit behind on the timeline, but I have the shell now and am ready to finish the inside. I will be posting pics as the process goes along, but I need your help with some things and will be posting questions. I tried this last year but I didn't trust the frame, so I started over.

most of my questions will have to do with the wiring and the gas hookups.

Here's what I have that needs to be assembled:

20,000 BTU forced air furnace

cooktop with oven

range hood

hole catch covers

lights

12 volt receptacles

110 receptacles

gas lights

lp tank holder

bathroom

bunks

car stereo

45 amp converter

THANKS!

• Answers 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• mediocrates67

• Big Buck Buster

• boulderbob

• sticknstring

anyone have input on the wiring question?
Run pvc inside walls or under floor before spraying. Run your wires through the pvc. You can run additional wires in the future if needed through the pvc.

anyone have input on the wiring question?

When running the 12volt circuits, you can connect all the positives to a bus, and the negatives to a bus. From the bus's, run one wire(slightly larger gauge) to the battery. You can find the bus's at any automotive parts store. They make for neater install, and can also get them with fuse blocks to protect each component.

Something in this order: http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d136.html

thanks big buck, you're exactly right. I'm going to find a fuse block. then i'm assuming i just send all positives in, then one positive will go to the convertor...and then the blacks will get wire nutted together and send them to the converter and then the battery.

the my car stereo i'm using has a ton of wires. how do i wire that for power? can i just use the black and red and ignore all the other ones or do i need some kind of a harness?

Typical car stereo wiring is: Yellow for memory/Red for 12v positive/black for ground/blue for electric antenna/ some have an orange, I believe for dimmer.

There should be an owners manual with the stereo with a diagram for the wires. Assuming that you just purchased it.

The rest are for the speakers.

I use the 29 series deep cycle marine batteries from wally world. They are about 80 bucks and last long. I use them in the boat in summer and the fish house in winter. The are a bit heavy.

Kevin,

Just deep cycle marine type will work. AGM batteries are called maintence free, but will need to have a maintainer on them in the off season. Standard lead acid will be fine for storage if charged complete and put away for the summer.

Del

Any trouble putting the catch covers in? Wondering if there is anything I should be careful with or no before putting mine in...seem pretty easy but just figured I would ask.

Nice house!

duckblind, i haven't done it yet. seems pretty simple, cut a hole and screw in! just make sure you don't have a part of the frame underneath.

i know guys that will spray the underside of the covers with spray foam to help with heat, that is my only suggestion.

Any trouble putting the catch covers in? Wondering if there is anything I should be careful with or no before putting mine in...seem pretty easy but just figured I would ask.

I used stainless screws because they will be wet a lot and if your floor is green treated it will dissolve non-stainless screws.

duck blind, the exterior door was on already. are you wondering about the bathroom door? will get some pics out here tomorrow. wiring all done, bathroom framed. working on cabinets now and then will insulate.

I noticed the door after I posted that...I am talking about the exterior door. I have an odd sized opening to work with and planned on building my own door and framing it in. Wondering if anybody has any tips/pics or a website to help me out.

i have a friend whose door opens inward. at first i thought it was a pain in the butt, but i like it for a few reasons:

1. if ever worried about the house going through the ice, the door wouldn't be able to open outward.

2. there's no risk of it opening outward while driving.

3. there's no risk of wind catching it and bending the hinges.

i have two 20# lp tanks. are these big enough for a 3 day weekend? i have an 18000 btu forced air furnace. do i need to get a 30# tank?

With the temps the way they are right now, I would invest in a couple of 30#. You don't want to run out of fuel while out on the lake. JMO.

If 40# of lp. dont last you 3 days, even running wide open, i would start taking some serious looks at where its all going. No doubt in my mind that it will last.

Its not that you don't have enought gas. but with 2 small tanks in super cold weather, the gas doesn"t flow well. Why ask for trouble. I would like find 50# tanks for my house.

I run 2 20#s and it is fine for a long weekend, but I throw a 3rd in the back of the truck just in case. If we run to town for anything I refill any empty, that way I almost always have 2 full tanks plus the partial one I'm runing on. Been working for me for 5 years with my ice castle.

we had a lot of trouble with the regulator freezing up on the 100# we ended up hooking up a 20# in the house that lasted 2.5 days we have a empire 16000btu vent free heater with a thermosat never had any trouble with the 20lb in the house and the reg

thanks for all the input guys, i think i'll be fine with the 20#ers. i'll take an extra one with just in case.

i've been working out of town, but will try to get some pics on here tomorrow. i'm about 1/3 done with insulation, all done with initial wiring. hoping i can get underside spray foamed this week. maiden voyage is supposed to be this weekend!