• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

mayhew

Was out there on Sunday and somehow lost the clearview windows for my portable. Anyone by chance happen to pick them up? Thanks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmuff24

• Fredd

• catfreak

• silverbulletguy

"anyone been out in the last 2-3 days? still the same? what end to fish on? waxies, minnows?"

YES -but not there, YES, YES, YES, YES

im probably gonna head out there later todsy, so where out there would be a reccomended place to fish?

On the lake.... The fish are under the ice! GL

just got off the lake, i just went right off the shore in 18 ft where there are about 500 fish houses and a bunch of perch is all i caught. where are the crappies and sunfish at? and are the bigger perch i was getting any good eating? i have never tried one before

I went out on the 23rd as well and had absolutely no luck. I went out from 3 to 5 and zig zagged my way through all those houses. I probably only drilled about 10 holes, with a hand auger which is always fun, and never marked a fish on my flasher. Jmuff, were you out at the same time as me? And if so, were you moving at all, or were you waiting for schools to move through? Just trying to figure out how I completely missed those perch.

well i dont know what to tell you... i was out there from about 2:30 till dark, i had never been out there before that so i had no idea what i was doing, walked out pretty much straight out from where you pull your sled down the little hill to get on to the ice, and drilled 2 holes in 18 FOW and immediatley found perch, i dont even have a vexilar... yet... so i was doin it like they did way back in my day. i was fishin about 6 inches off the bottom, and pretty constant action. alot of decent perch too (8-10 inches) i just dont eat em cuz they are so wormy up north.

Stay away from the crowd. This lake has some decent crappies if you are patient enough to find them.

anyone been out since the snowfall? and if so, has it affected the bite at all? im thinkin about headin out in a bit to try to get some more perch

I was also wondering how its been lately. Did the heavy snow make for any problems out there? And jmuff, were you in one of the pullover shelters right near the access?

Hey Fredd, hope the soft water season treated you good. The start of hard water has been pretty slow, but hopin it picks up for me. Give me a holler and lets do some fishin and tell Randy to stop watchin the soaps and get his can on the ice. hehehe

Gus, give me a call at 393-3730 and we can hook up sometime. Randy is still a stick in the mud and hasn't been on the ice yet. I am heading out the door within the hour.

jmuff, did you see a guy walkin around hole hoppin with no shelter? I was the only guy out there not in a shelter, so it shouldn't have been too hard to see me.

CatFreak how was the bite today? Lately I've been hauling my gear up north to fish with the out laws and am looking forward to not burning so many dinosaurs to go fishing now that the Holiday season is winding down.

Sorry it took so long to respond. Yea, I got out that day and caught a bunch of perch. I actually didn't even need to drill a hole. I forgot my vexilar on so it was dead, so i figured i'd just go out and try to get lucky. Walked out just past all the houses and found three pretty fresh holes, so I knocked the ice out of one and had a perch within a few seconds of hitting the bottom. I caught about 15 perch in a little over a half hour, then I had to get outta there. I had a splint on my hand so I couldnt get a glove over it and my skin was turning funny colors. lol

i have been to mayhew 4 times, and have caught nothing but perch pretty much str8 out from the hill everybody drags their sled down in about 17 feet, so i went there last night with crappie minnows, and just perch... where are the crappies at? dont worry about me eating them cuz that lake is way too close to little rock for me to eat fish out of.

i havent been on mayhew before this year, but since i havent caught one, the sunfish have to be almost non existant right? and is there a better spot on the lake to get non stop action on perch?

Its not that big of a lake. Look at a map. Drill some holes. But most importantly in my opinion ( especially on Mayhew ) stay away from the crowd.

Where would be the best place for me to access the lake and park my vehicle if coming to the lake from the south. I haven't ever been on mayhew...but figured I'd switch things up and try it for a day. Thanks!

Just pull up a map online. Depends on where you're coming from, but you want to get to mayhew lake road. If you're coming up highway 10 just take the sartell exit and take a right to head east. A couple miles down you'll hit mayhew lake road. Take a left and follow that for a few miles. You want to stay on Mayhew Lake Road, but it will seem weird because the road keeps going straight and mayhew lake rd goes right hard. Just watch for the lake sign. Follow that about a quarter mile and you'll see all the trucks and the lake on your left. I think my explanation made it seem more difficult than it really is, but I hope that helps.