• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm all about Ice Fishing TV shows, but seriously...

TylerS

I just caught my first "Ice Fishing Today" episode this weekend. It was on FSN. I was jacked because that blonde Shara daughter kept promoing to it and I thought "I'd watch ice fishing on TV all day...but if she says so, I HAVE to!"

So I got comfy on the futon, popped some popcorn and got out my ice fishing tackle (I like to sort through fishing gear when I'm really pumped for the season...kind of like retying decoy anchors while watching duck hunting or cleaning the .30-06 when deer hunting comes one -- Hey, don't look at me that way because I KNOW you've done it too!)

Then it came on... ICE FISHING TODAY, sponsored by VEXILAR.

There it was, I was so excited that the little marmuskas and Genz Bugs were clattering in the tackle tote like a Mexiacan maraca from my shaking limbs.

Then, as the episode went on, I got the buzz kill of a lifetime. There maybe...and I mean MAYBE...was five minutes of fishing. The rest was either:

1) Talking about how awesome Vexilar is.

2) Talking about how crappy other flashers are.

3) Promoting some guide/school/whatever.

4) Promoing to the show's Web site for further view pleasure.

5) Reliving the history of Vexilar and how amazing it is the company has lasted 50 years.

Now I am NOT (let me repeat that) am NOT brand particular when it comes to flashers. I talked dad into bying an FL-8 about 8 years ago when I worked at Gander and that has got a ton of ice time. Just last winter I baught a Marcum LX5 and also like that. I don't prefer one over the other except that I like mine because its newer.

Anyway, after watching that show I was nausious. That was the most self-promoting, worthless waste of time I've ever witnessed. I mean, ya, they're a sponsor. I get that. But the show was wasted on self promotion. And really, if you're THAT great, you shouldn't have to knock the competition. I that that was rather classless.

But ya, total bummer of a show. I now have my doubts about wether the blonde Shara actually knows what she talks about, too.

Anyone else catch the show? Am I way out of line and uber sensative or is it OK to have a high standard when watching ice fishing on TV while sorting your tackle?

I got the first season DVD with my ve fl-12, tried watching it but the DVD isn't working that great in any of my players.

Of the few bits that worked, it did just seem like promotion (which I expected, since the DVD did come with my flasher). But I had higher hopes since I didn't get to catch all of the content.

Yeah, they are a little self promoting. It's nice when you can watch a show that focuses on how to locate/catch fish instead of how to buy a certain product.

Anyway, after watching that show I was nausious. That was the most self-promoting, worthless waste of time I've ever witnessed. I mean, ya, they're a sponsor. I get that. But the show was wasted on self promotion. And really, if you're THAT great, you shouldn't have to knock the competition. I that that was rather classless.

Welcome to the new world order of fishing.

I wouldn't expect too much anymore, it happens with everything... once money gets involved.

Remember when fishing was just about getting away from everything and enjoying time to your self? It would be nice to think it will return to that someday but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm with ya'. I thought the show was going to be about ice fishing but it ends up being an infomercial for vexilar. 15 minutes through it was almost unbearable, fortunately commercial breaks were filled with Ms. Schara promoting FSN Outdoors and it prevented me from actually changing the channel and remembering what I was watching.

The show should have been titled "Fishing with your Vexilar" or "If you don't have a Vexilar, look what your missing". At the end of the show it made me disgusted at how much promotion took place over the course of the show.

They should take cues from Jason Mitchell and Tony Dean....both wonderful shows.

Yep - I watched one of these shows last year and went through the exact same thing. Only difference was I recorded it on the DVR in teh bedroom. Woke up on a chilly Saturday morning. Had the great idea of laying in bed watching a fishing show - only to find out it was nothing more than a glorified infomercial.

Funny thing was it did cause me to run out and buy a flasher...only instead of the Vex I went with a Marcum, lol...probably because I was irritated at the infomercial.

The best shows find a way to get they sponsored product into the mix without shoving it down your throat. You have fishing shows that teach, fishing shows that entertain, and then fishing shows that do nothing but sell.

I tend to gravitate towards the entertaining ones.

As obnoxious as John can seem to get on Waters and Woods, it is by far my favorite fishing show because of the entertainment value. Not only that but you get to see a bunch of fish and has info that is current.

I also like Al Lindner’s show

I also like Beat Charlie Moore

I also like Hunt Fish TV

Yeah you have to have DVR and tape that show and run through it in FF until you see them catch fish.....In-Fisherman Ice Fishing is the best info show out there and I agree with dtro that John Gillespie is by far the most entertaining show to watch but I also tape Babe Winkleman and Linders Fishing Edge.....they all have there good shows and shows to FF through......Midwest outdoors has got to be the most boring show out there as all they do is take Cananda trips or trips to Lake of the Woods and Rainey and shove the sponsorships down your throat in a real blah way!!

In-fisherman has the Ice Fishing Guide Tv show that is pretty good with Chip Leer that I watch and you get to see more fish caught without jamming the sponsors down your throut. FF does have the IN-Fish videos as well picked one up last weekend.

mr

I was watching it on their site and got a good laugh. Guys taking the kids out, throws the transducer into the hole, and must not have got a signal. Takes it out, rubs water on it, then sticks it back in the hole.

Apparently the water in the hole the first time wasn't wet enough or something

This show is nothing more than an infomercial. Garbage all the way.

I like the other shows mentioned above (InFisherman, John Gillespie (if I've already had my coffee in the morning), Linder).

As obnoxious as John can seem to get on Waters and Woods, it is by far my favorite fishing show because of the entertainment value. Not only that but you get to see a bunch of fish and has info that is current.

Boy I could go for a Johnsonville brat. you like Johnsonville brats? You earned a Johnsonville brat. nothing better than fishing and a johnsonville brat....

Boy I could go for a Johnsonville brat. you like Johnsonville brats? You earned a Johnsonville brat. nothing better than fishing and a johnsonville brat....

LOL. I was just gonna say something about those Johnsonville Brats. Nothing better than a good day of fishing.....except for maybe a Johnsonville Brat.

Gillespie's show is very entertaining to watch. The same with the Keye's Outdoor's boys....."Sllliime Tiiime!"

Ice Fishing Today was the first show I openly LAUGHED at. It's an infomercial, not a fishing show. I also love In-Fish, but their handholding to new sponsor HT is a bit gross too - hey let's push the junk products now that they sponsor us! But - you have to pay the bills...

I was able to catch some of that show. To me i found it a little information that i can atleast think about and possibly decide to actually buy one.

All the guys i tend to fish with don't have any of the fancy equipment. Plus the lakes that i fish also tend to be 8 foot or less. So getting to see that vexlar in use on deeper water and some of what it is capable of doing was amazing. to see the split shots 200' deep is wow! So yeah it did get me thinking more about possibly getting one. The only major thing that really truely stops me is the price of a brand new one way out of the range at the momment.

It would be alot more interesting to see someone use it vs the guy next to you not using it and how much more fish does it actually produce? The one thing would be is if you could actually see the fish down below on the vex so you would be able to tell if you change in the pattern when it bit or if the fish was just a swim by bite.

Bought a old aqua vu cam for the kids to keep them entertained once they go out to fish. Also figured that might help teach me a little bit for whats going on underneath the water and how the fish maybe reacting to my presentation. Major draw back for the cam is going to be daytime fishing since it needs a good amount of light and water clarity. So in the evening i can see where the vex would be a better item to have out.

Finally this blizzard is getting me in the mood to go ice fishing. I'd sooner have the boat out until the lakes freeze over really solid and you can go straight into ice fishing. Too bad the storage place was whining about wanting to shut the sheds up until spring so bad. With this late freeze it would of been great to be out in the boat fall fishing.

The major things that i really dislike about a good majority of the fishing shows is that they are always way up northern minnesota or far remote into canada. I would love to see them in some of the remote small area lakes around the state.

Good luck and have fun

I shut it off and watched old school footage with tony dean and jason mitchell also zippy and dave bronson slamming walleyes and perch! Cant wait... was cool to watch a couple old shows when they used the fl-8slt and then they all switched to the 18

I to have watched the show,very bad! I cant believe how they bash the competition. Wics. water and woods all the way! Go John good humor and current.

Funny, I was just saying the same thing to a guy at work this morning. I asked him if he ever watched it, and told him it was 30 minutes about Vexilar's.

Lindner's Angling Edge is the best for Informational/teaching shows IMO.

We must not forget about Tony Dean, always a great show IMO.

When the Lindner's sold In-Fisherman that is when In-Fisherman TV kind of went a little down hill in my eyes.

Vexilar produces IFT if they want it as an Infomercial then they can do that, we end up paying for it in the long run when we buy their products.

If you look past the product sponsorship IFT still gives some good info to take with when fishing.

It isn't cheap to put these shows on the air so I guess that the content is then dictated by the sponsors in some way.

And if it wern't for the sponsors we would not be watching fishing shows.

WW

I can't see Gillespie and I lasting more than 5 minutes in the same boat or ice house. Repeating the same words/questions over and over and over makes my ears bleed.

He's like Jimmy Two Times from Goodfellas, only it's Johnny Four Times.

Toss in a hangover and over the side he goes. whistle

Ya, It's pretty sad when they even get little kids to cram their product down your throat. Then get guests to read from a que card. Ridiculous!!

Totally agree and I don't think that my feelings are based on my non-support of the product. In Fisherman Ice and the Ice Men show (low budget panfish show) are better for me though only In Fish is educational. I like Gillespie also though I think I would be apt personally to throw him from the boat when he loses it as the fish comes toward the net.

Great post - I too watched it or tried to - I didn't make it thru the entire show. If they saved it till the end and actually fished it would be great but 30 minutes of promos. No Thanks PASS THE JOHNSONVILLE

Most fishing shows are infomercials anymore and its sad! I grew up on Bill Dance and In-Fisherman (when the Lindners owned it) and they actually showed fishing and gave tips! I pretty much stick to Lindners Angling Edge and Jason Mitchell and I can't forget KHO because Hrbek is awesome! We need more shows that will get people excited about fishing and wanting to be in the outdoors!

I learned the same lesson last year with this show when he went on a rant about inferior flashers the rest of the show. Sad part is I think he was improvising and couldn't put a complete thought together or sensible argument to support his claims. I like Linders also and Keyes Outdoors gives me the feeling of being back in the boat. I don't mind In-Fisherman but I get tired of Doug Stange going on about swim-baits and the super shad rap!

Interesting, I just tried watching the first season of Ice Fishing Today. I had to turn it off because I had the same look on my face as I do when watching an episode of According to Jim....

kramden.gif