• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Things to do on the big pond

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiskyknut

• northerndave

• curt quesnell

• Crappieman

• 2 months later...

ttt.

6 year old retro FM piece. 1 other thing that has changed is the road fee's have gone up to 7 or 8 beans depending on who's access it is. Babbler was the last 5 dollar hold out and this season he's at 7 dollars.

Awesome post learned a lot. Just one ? though. Good spot for big northerns in mid Jan.

go to twin rocks, set one up between the rocks & string them towards shore from the rocks.

trapline, seriously, not sure why it is but ... it is a good tip up spot.

Well Grogan iffin it were me and I was after Jacks that time of season I'd be way happy sitting up around Stoney. 5mile would be my second choice probably, it's usually loaded with them and we get em pretty regular when fishin the Perch and Walleye. The area Dr Evil there mentions as well as the bits of structure nearshore to Babblers road kinda between Gull Rock and Twin Rocks I'd be pretty confident on too.

should have mentioned, be careful if you do drill right between the rocks. gets shallow & that aint mud below the ice right there. We've done it before, drilled right between them, but we've also played around there a lot in the summer & have a bit of a mental picture of the bottom between the rocks.

Haven't tried it for many years, it was a friend of mine that put our tip up fishing group onto it.

Stoney makes a lot of sense, never tried it for northerns but it makes sense with stoney creek spilling in there, plus it's real close to some legendary "jack" fishing grounds on the Canadian side...

there is also a trough north of Taylor bridge in Warroad, old riverbed, can be hard to find though. runs pretty much parallel with the shoreline.

bring some frozen bait, they might be getting the dreaded "soft mouth" by mid Jan when they are less likely to bite sucker minnows.

Hey Dr Evil... Pout Jon Paul sent me a photo last winter of a crew with a bunch of BIG Jackfish in a 'livewell' made in the ice. Was that you and your crew? Holy Moly you guys did have a heck of a good day iffin that was you!!! WOW!!

we have been known to pull that stunt a time or 2 but I don't think that was us. The only time I remember making a pikey livewell in recent years was last winter & PJP was out there with us, we had a livewell but I think it only had a couple in it, nothing real special either.

hmm, I do remember those photos now that you mention it, that wasn't us though, Jon had either forwarded them to me or maybe I had sent them to him... if I remember right the guys were up in buffalo bay?

Here's a pic of me & my boy with an average slot fish that had to go back down the hole from that day a bunch of us were out there last year (PJP included)

dadnatefishresized2.jpg

fiskynut, I think I found your livewell photo, it was in a slideshow, lots of pictures. My cousin had sent it to me last winter & I think I passed it along to walleyejon.

is this it?

livewell.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here ya go RR.

Yepper Dr Evil them be the pics....Nice livewell! Big Jackfish, thats 10 inch auger marks.

Doop you out there? That livewell photo get you drooling maybe!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting near that time again eh! Bays should lock up solid really quick now and we will soon be tippy toeing onto the LOTW ice sheet.

10-4 Fisky!!! 9 degree's last night definitly helped cool things down!! I still think it will be the first week in Dec. before we get out (that's if the wind stays down) at any rate I am ready!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Seen this Mell? I typed this 6 or 7 winters ago but not alot has changed!!!

Might see a few roads open up within the week.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

this thread was a great read fisky! thanks for the bump. i learned a TON by reading this whole thread

Thank you for pulling up this old thread!

GREAT INFO...and really puts me in reality of when I can expect to be ice fishing at LOW....CAN'T WAIT

• 1 year later...

How much snow is on the ice up there? I'm heading up tomorrow and hoping we don't need to bring snow machines with us.

• 8 months later...

This has to stay near the top of the board. Great info for people who are looking to get out and catch some fish.

• 1 year later...

Hoey, I will be up to

Arnesens this summer. Hope to see you . My recovery is going slow but good. thank you for your help taking the house off. we made it up 4 times this winter 2 good 2 bad.

Terry - I hear your shout out. I too will be around for many trips this summer, if I can find contractors to work my honey-do list. Keep in touch!!!