• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

shed hunting

pinkfloyd4ever

I gotta agree totally with the last comment about every year will have december drops, and in the same woods, bucks that will hold on til April. Every year people try to come up with some scientific facts to come up with an answer but there just isnt one in my mind. People always say stress, but Where im located a deer has it made through the winter. Its as stress free of a lifestyle as ya can get!!! and yet Theres been a good half dozen or more in my neck of the woods picked up already! And those are the fresh ones, theres been some old ones picked up too. Ive got one of each so far, a year old 4 point, and a fresh dink 4 pt with a busted G2. This is my favorite thread of the year. Cant wait to see the pics flyin in here soon! Ill start it out!!

pjandshed1020.jpg

pjandshed1022.jpg

1stfreshshedoftheyear009.jpg

1stfreshshedoftheyear010.jpg

1stfreshshedoftheyear011.jpg

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shedaddict

• Musky Buck

• Monkster

• shedfreak

Well I'm one of the guys who once in a while looks for sheds but am not very lucky in finding sheds. But I scored one on new years eve day. I saw 3 bucks standing together and one of them only had one side of his head gear. I thought I better pay attention while in the area and sure enough I found it. It was in an area where they were feeding and scratching in the snow.

I was going to wait 2 more weeks but I think now I might just have to get out. Thanks shedfreak I was hoping for for some relaxation but not no more I blame you thanks for the pick Hope you have another banner year for sheds!!

I havent been able to get out of late due to numerous holiday events and my sons first birthday. BUt I was able to sneak out for a quick one hour hike before my wife headed to work. On my way to the spt I intended of going, I noticed about 15 deer yarded up on the edge of a woods... Needless to say< i turned around and thought Id try my luck... 15 minutes into my walk, right in the middle of a deer trail, there it was just glowin at me. Nice 2 year old 4 pt side, short beam, but about an 8 or 9 inch g2 on it . I was able to catch up with the herd, and finally caught a glimpse of a rack... Sure enough, it was a half rack, which happened to be the buck I just picked the left side off of! I obviously shed hunt in an urban area, as you see the house in the background. Its all public land, and it was the only picture chance I had at him. I see hes missin the g3 on his right side. Oh well , Maybe the other side will drop tonight, we will see!

1stbdayxmasshed3051.jpg

1stbdayxmasshed3052.jpg

1stbdayxmasshed3053.jpg

haha yeah I was pretty stoked, I didnt see any antlers in the group, and then for a split second, I saw one, and I was like, hey I think hes a half rack, and then i was like hey I think this is his antler in my hand! I was determined to get a pic! Besides I figured if I watched him long enough, the other side might fall off! Im lucky, but not THAT lucky!

I wont bore you with TOO long of a story since we all just wanna see pics anyways but today was a good day! I hit one of my spots today, and was seein deer, but all had both sides yet...I was snappin pics of some of the bigger ones and follwing them through the woods, in hope one would drop! ( like we all do im sure) which by the way never happens.... or does it?! As i was followin the " herd" i saw a bed and walked over to investigate, and there it was number one of the day, 2 year old 4 point side, sweet! I noticed the deer crossed the ravine at this point (after stoppin for some ATLs) and i noticed one was all of a sudden a half rack....hmmm so i follwed the trail they were on, and there it was, nice 4 point side again, 3 yr old buck this time.... So i started followin some more, thinkin id get lucky.... well I did, but it was ANOTHER 4 point left side... It was an awesome day, I love gettin pics of the bucks I get sheds to, never expected to pick one up 5 minutes after takin a picture though! I came home and a buddy stopped over with a couple freshies he picked up today... and one looked awful familiar.... it was the MATCH to the one I had JUST taken pictures of! We didnt even know we were walkin in the same area... BOth sides of that buck were on the ground for just a few minutes COMBINED!!! pretty cool.... LOTS OF PICS!!!!!!!!!!

3shedday009.jpg

3shedday010.jpg

3shedday013.jpg

3shedday018.jpg

3shedday019.jpg

3shedday020.jpg

3shedday021.jpg

NOW AT HOME WITH ITS MATE!!!!

3shedday028.jpg

3shedday027.jpg

and my other 2 from today..............

3shedday015.jpg

3shedday017.jpg

3shedday023.jpg

3shedday024.jpg

shed freak - as always, top notch work man!!!!

well, my season is off to an alright start. went up to the shack to do a little ice fishing the 2nd and 3rd of January. With the nasty cold weather we packed up a little early and went to look for some early antler drops. with minimal looking and coming as a surprise i was able to find two small matched sets. a tiny 5 pointer and the longest spiker i've ever found. the little 5 points antlers were 3 feet from each other. the spiker was about 20 feet from each other. not big, but pretty cool none the less. unfortunetely, didn't have my camera with....i always have my cam with afield, but this time didn't. here are two pics at home, a little blood on all 4, but very little. more than likely they were end of december drops.

i hope to have some better pics for you guys as i'm going up for a hard 2 day walk this wkd. it seems again this year they are dropping a little earlier than normal in my area. most years, besides the last two i've had better luck in mid february. but, you never now what you find with antler hunting!!!

good luck!!

cj

Picture5750.jpg

Picture5752.jpg

nice jumbo... Im ALWAYS jealous of how you guys match up so many!! Keep em comin... ill be indoors all weekend unfortunately

Wow I dont think I will find that many sheds in my entire lifetime. Cant wait to get home and start looking for some but it wont be for a few weeks and it might be pretty tough early on with all the snow but still fun to get out and do some walking.

Was that one weekends worth on the bottom pic? or a year end shot? or what? I have an idea of where ya were....from the terrain, and i have almost an exact ATL as the last picture. Just by seein the amount of old ones kid of gives the location away....maybe.. i could be wrong... anyways, looks like some dandies in there!!

I saw a beauty today right in the middle of the road about noon on my route. About 125" 8 pointer. Should be a bruiser next season.

I picked up a couple more today... one good one, and another 2 year old 4 point side... ill get some pics up sometime this weekend

Shedfreak, do you just wander around the woods looking at the ground or do you look in certain places. How does one increase their chances at finding a shed?

I am sure someone can help more but I look for sheds on South faceing hills bedding areas feeding areas and trails in between

Well as broken down as it can be, LOTWSvirgin is right. There are alot of factors on where I determine to look for sheds, but the basic components are listed right there. Not all the

"good" spots will have a shed, but by eliminating the "bad" spots, youve just increased your chances right there. I highly reccomend reading Joe Shead's Book, Go Shed Hunting. Great Tips, and he also put out a DVD last year. [Note From Admin: Please Read Forum Policy Before Reading Again] I wander around the woods early and mark on my GPS where the bedding areas are, trails leading to food sources, south slopes, and I focus on those areas all winter long.

I went out looking for some of the matches to the ones ive picked up lately, and although THAT search came up short, I did manage to scoop up a couple more. One good one, and one 2 year old 4 point.....My camera was too cold to get an ATL of the second. It was so fresh, it dripped blood on my kitchen counter for a good couple hours after I got it home! The wife LOVED it!

BIGSHED013.jpg

BIGSHED015.jpg

BIGSHED016.jpg

And an early grop shot from the year so far...........

BIGSHED017.jpg

BIGSHED018.jpg

After being stuck indoors yesterday and finding out 21 sheds were picked up by a group of buddies, I didnt like my chances for today. I stayed awake all night figuring out where I wanted to go with limited time to walk..1.5 hours...... Well I guess I only needed 10 minutes...I walked down the first trail I found and BAM, a nice 5 point side.. and 15 yards in front of it I saw tines in the snow..gotta be the match, right? nope, small 4 point side... I got an ATL of the bigger one, but my camera wasnt lettin me get any of the smaller one... Id really like to match the 5 up!! Up into the double digits now.... Best start ever for me.

60inch5point003.jpg

60inch5point004.jpg

60inch5point006.jpg

wow! its barely even begun and you have an awesome collection already! I havent had a chance to get out yet but very soon

Wow, Very nice sheds - Shed freak!!! You are finding some really nice antlers.

I ended up going up to the shack on Sunday. Went to spot 1 where I know there are plenty of bucks and looked for 3.5 hours and never touched a shed. Bummer!! Go to spot 2 and look for 1.5 hours. Some sign, not super heavy though and still no antlers in hand. Its now getting to be a long day!!! I go to my 3rd spot which is a lease we have where they are presently logging 20 acres of it. Yes, lots of sign and deer running around eating the tops of the popals. Maybe, this is my opportunity!!! Tons of sign everywhere, 1.5 hours of looking no antlers yet. Then boom.........is that an antler sticking out of that bed......yes, finally antler one in hand. A rather large 2 pt shed. Sweet, I look for the match.....go to the next bed 10 feet away and boom, a matching set laying 3 inches from each other!!! a small, fresh 5 pointer. I'll take it. I then spent the last hour looking on the flat where they are logging, tons of deer sign.....but everything looks like an antler.....getting a head ache from all the sticks. Walking on the logging road on the way out and step on a 4 pt side from a 2.5 year old. A good way to finish. What a day and sore feet.

Up to 8 sheds on the year!!! I'm happy about that, just haven't found much for size yet. Lots of many friends are also having good luck right now, it seems the antlers are dropping like flies right now. I hope we can make it another 2 weeks before measureable snow.....cause if we get a big snow now, i fear with all the early drops, february and march could be slow until the snow melts.

Get out and look now, conditions are good, trails are defined!! Good luck,

CJ

Picture5753.jpg

Picture5754.jpg

Picture5755.jpg

Picture5757.jpg

Picture5760.jpg

Picture5765.jpg

Picture5766.jpg

Picture5768.jpg

Picture5771.jpg