• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Peterson fumbles.. AGAIN

Big A

All of this talk about elite RBs makes has taught me that I obviously have a different opinion on this title than the majority here.

IMO, an elite RB has the basic fundamentals down, including "PROTECTING THE [insert your best profanity here] BALL".

When AP can do that better, I will consider him an "Elite" RB.

OK, so name some "Elite" RB's and then we will compare numbers. wink

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gr8icefishinmind

• Big Dave2

• croixflats

• james_walleye

Gerome Bettis numbers weren't there but then again if numbers are all that you look for in a player not going to go to far with that. wink.Also the elite players have something else to back up their title they come through for ya when you need them the most on a consistent basis. If it were a numbers game we should have kept Moss.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
All of this talk about elite RBs makes has taught me that I obviously have a different opinion on this title than the majority here.

IMO, an elite RB has the basic fundamentals down, including "PROTECTING THE [insert your best profanity here] BALL".

When AP can do that better, I will consider him an "Elite" RB.

Nice try Darren. I didn't say I felt there was an elite RB in the league. You can find comments in other posts in regards to the "elite" RBs. But I don't recall ever stating there was one. I'd rather you not try to group me in with the rest of the crowd. wink

Originally Posted By: dtro

Nice try Darren. I didn't say I felt there was an elite RB in the league. You can find comments in other posts in regards to the "elite" RBs. But I don't recall ever stating there was one. I'd rather you not try to group me in with the rest of the crowd. wink

LEP, are you running for office or something? That was the most political statement I've heard since O'bama and McCain's last presidential debate. grin

So now you are saying there has never been an elite running back in the league?

Some one ounce said 1200 yrd backs are a dime a dozon, wonder who said that BigDave. grin Looks like we have a 1200 yrd back this year and one that cant hold onto the ball. I dont care what happened last year or what you may think will happen next year. The reality, Ha phoey you guys dont deal in realities only bragging rights. grin Admire and respect your convictions though .

When did I say that? Please show me a quote.

BTW, Peterson has 1329 yds with 1 game left to go so I would more accurately call him a 1400 yd rusher.

Originally Posted By: Big Dave2
And............Just to illustrate how prolific AP has been so far in his career, This is how he stacks up so far with the 3 most prolific rushers in NFL history after 3 years in the league.

Emmit Smith

4213 yds

41 TDs

19 fumbles

Walter Payton

3921 yds

34 TDs

30 fumbles

Barry Sanders

4323 yds

43 TDs

19 fumbles

Adrian Peterson

4430 yds

39 TDs

20 fumbles

Looks like pretty elite company to me, and this season isn't even over yet!

Where's the fumble count for each? I'm not disagreeing with you, it would just be good to see those per-player as well. wink

All-Time Great Running Backs Fumbles - First Three Seasons

Jim Brown - 14 (36 gms)

OJ Simpson - 17 (35 gms)

Emmitt Smith - 19 (47 gms)

Walter Payton - 30 (35 gms)

Eric Dickerson - 37 (44 gms)

Tony Dorsett - 28 (44 gms)

Franco Harris - 24 (38 gms)

Marcus Allen - 27 (41 gms)

ADRIAN PETERSON - 19 (41 gms)

Yeah, you guys are right. He'll never be any good! grin

I thought I'd post this one more time just in case twice wasn't enough. grin

Gerome Bettis numbers weren't there but then again if numbers are all that you look for in a player not going to go to far with that. wink.Also the elite players have something else to back up their title they come through for ya when you need them the most on a consistent basis. If it were a numbers game we should have kept Moss.

Just for the record,

Jerome Bettis 1st 3 years in the league:

3091 yds

13 TDs

13 Fumbles

I'll take petersons almost 2 to 1 TD to fumble ratio instead of Bettis's 1 to 1 ratio.

And BTW, your right, we should have kept Moss!

I still don't get what him being an elite rb has to do with his fumbling problem! Obviously we all know that he is a top notch back.......but he has a fumbling problem that he should fix!!!!

Because it is not a fumbling PROBLEM. I have posted statistical evidence that shows you this but you choose to ignore it.

I've always thought AP runs more like Earl Campbell (violent)...what's his stats through his first three years?

Man, Payton and Dickerson were fumbling machines. Just think how great they could’ve been if they would’ve carried the ball correctly or didn’t try to get those extra yards or create their own holes.

See this is what you do, you take the handoff, cover the ball with both arms, put your head down, and run straight forward. That’s the way to be a great RB in this league. smirk

Originally Posted By: gr8icefishinmind
I still don't get what him being an elite rb has to do with his fumbling problem! Obviously we all know that he is a top notch back.......but he has a fumbling problem that he should fix!!!!

Because it is not a fumbling PROBLEM. I have posted statistical evidence that shows you this but you choose to ignore it.

Obviously it is a problem......your statistical evidence shows this!! I am not saying he is a bad running back, just saying he would be alot better if he would get rid of his fumbling problem! It is about getting better as a player and giving the defense less of an advantage and right now their advantage vs. peterson is their ability to strip the ball from his hands because of the way he carries the ball.

BTW, Peterson has 1329 yds with 1 game left to go so I would more accurately call him a 1400 yd rusher.

Meanwhile Chris Johnson is hunting down the 2000 yd mark.

CJ > AP

Originally Posted By: croixflats

Just for the record,

Jerome Bettis 1st 3 years in the league:

3091 yds

13 TDs

13 Fumbles

I'll take petersons almost 2 to 1 TD to fumble ratio instead of Bettis's 1 to 1 ratio.

Bad comparison......first of all they are totally different runners, secondly bettis took wayy more hits and was a more bruising type of rb which shows his ability to HOLD ON to the ball with as little fumbles as he had!!!

Just think how great AP would be if he never fumbled. Saying a running back would be much better if he fumbled less is like saying I would save gas money if I drove a car instead of a big SUV. Well yeah, but then I would have to drive a car.

If you want to enjoy what he gives you than you have to live with what he doesn’t give you as well. Saying I wish he fumbled less is a given. We all wish that.

If I remember right LeRoy Hoard didn’t fumble very much at all. When we wanted 2 yards we got 3. When we wanted 5 yards we got 3. Maybe we should give him a call.

As the data has shown, AP is right up there with the best and in fumble statistics even better than some of them. Enjoy him for what he is, and IMO he is just as much a bruiser as Betis was.

Meanwhile Chris Johnson is hunting down the 2000 yd mark.

CJ > AP

And why is that?? Their passing game is horrible. Opposite of the Packers. Packers throw a ton and the Titans run a ton. The Vikes are well balanced and do both.

And why is that?? Their passing game is horrible. Opposite of the Packers. Packers throw a ton and the Titans run a ton. The Vikes are well balanced and do both.

The Vike's passing game must be horrible then as well using your logic, because Peterson only has 17 less attempts than Johnson. Chris Johnson is averaging almost a yard and a half more than Peterson.

The throw's more/runs less argument is hogwash. Likewise with you discrediting Rodgers for having 4000+ passing yards, again.

We're not fools. The numbers are there if anyone cares to look at them. Johnson is the #1 back in the league this year without a doubt.

What do you think about the fumbling numbers now? AP's the man, I don't know why you have to nit pick and be a hater. Now you are saying Peterson doesn't take hits and isn't a bruiser?? lol

The Vike's passing game must be horrible then as well using your logic, because Peterson only has 17 less attempts than Johnson. Chris Johnson is averaging almost a yard and a half more than Peterson.

How many 3 n outs does TN have compared to us??? extending a drive equals more opportunities. As far as Rodgers, if you throw the ball all the time, the yards are going to add up, why doesn't that make sense to you??? Stupid is as stupid does.

Chris Johnson is having a better YEAR... over the long haul, I'll take Peterson anyday.

How many ppl are going to pass up AP if they have the #1 pick in their fantasy draft next year for CJ?? Not as many as LIMIT would think

I've always thought AP runs more like Earl Campbell (violent)...what's his stats through his first three years?

Good thinking! I never thought about Earl Campbell. His numbers are very interesting. His best years statisticaly were his first 3 by far. After that he staggered 2 more really good years in there but the rest were nothing. Did he have injury problems? I had just moved to Minnesota from Alabama as a kid in 1980 so I didn't know too much about PRO football back then. We were all about the Crimson Tide!

Earl Campbell's first 3 years

5081 yds

45 TDs

21 Fumbles

Originally Posted By: Big Dave2

Obviously it is a problem......your statistical evidence shows this!! I am not saying he is a bad running back, just saying he would be alot better if he would get rid of his fumbling problem! It is about getting better as a player and giving the defense less of an advantage and right now their advantage vs. peterson is their ability to strip the ball from his hands because of the way he carries the ball.

How in the world does my statistical evidence prove that he has a fumbling problem? It shows that he is right in line or better than the best RBs in HISTORY when it comes to fumbling. If AP has a fumbling problem then so did almost every great RB in history.

Extending the drive equals more opportunities? Attemps are attempts. I really don't know what part of that is hard to understand. Do you realize what Johnson's 17 extra attempts than Peterson means? It's about one more carry per game and not even worth considerering. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with longer drives or the run/pass balance of TN vs. MN.

The 'yards per attempt' shows a glaring difference between the two RB's and what they do each opportunity they have with the ball. That statistic right there (Yards per Attempt) essentially eliminates the discussion on the run/pass ratio and the type the offense each RB's team plays or who has more or less playmakers stealing playing time. They've each had their share of touches and Johnson has done more with his.

I'll take CJ every time. Ask anybody how Peterson has done for them this year in FFL and they'll say it was a mistake. Johnson has flat out dominated on the field and there is not one thing that would lead anybody to claim that Peterson is the better running back besides the googly-eyed kool-aid drinking fans who refuses to admit it.

Originally Posted By: zepman

Good thinking! I never thought about Earl Campbell. His numbers are very interesting. His best years statisticaly were his first 3 by far. After that he staggered 2 more really good years in there but the rest were nothing. Did he have injury problems? I had just moved to Minnesota from Alabama as a kid in 1980 so I didn't know too much about PRO football back then. We were all about the Crimson Tide!

Earl Campbell's first 3 years

5081 yds

45 TDs

21 Fumbles

Find some old highlight films of Earl and you'll see the similarity in their running styles. IMO, Earl Campbell is one of the top 5 or 10 players to ever play in the NFL. He was relentless/violent and way over-used. He took a massive beating during his shortened career and I believe he is now confined to a wheelchair.

Extending the drive equals more opportunities? Attemps are attempts. I really don't know what part of that is hard to understand. Do you realize what 17 more attempts than Peterson means? It's about one more carry per game and not even worth considerering. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with longer drives or the run/pass balance of TN vs. MN.

The 'yards per attempt' shows a glaring difference between the two RB's and what they do each opportunity they have with the ball. That statistic right there (Yards per Attempt) essentially eliminates the discussion on the run/pass ratio and the type the offense each RB's team plays or who has more or less playmakers stealing playing time. They've each had their share of touches and Johnson has done more with his.

I'll take CJ every time. Ask anybody how Peterson has done for them this year in FFL and they'll say it was a mistake. Johnson has flat out dominated on the field and there is not one thing that would lead anybody to believe that Peterson is the better running back.

I don't think anyone could argue that CJ has been a better RB this year. He may even end up with better career numbers than AP when it is all said and done. Maybe he'll be the best RB of all time, who knows? But really this has nothing to do with the point of this thread. Maybe you should start a new one comparing AP to CJ.

I think a lot of teams in the league would love to have AP or CJ. No use comparing them, AP is a Viking and CJ is a Titan, unless you are suggesting the Vikes try to pull off a trade? smirk

The only thing I can say about the comparison is that the way a team wins games is by scoring more points than their apponant. AP has 5 more TDs than CJ. Plus CJs titans have 7 wins and the Vikes have 11.

I ain't sayin' I'm just sayin' grin

Did you forget CJ's receiving TD's? He has two, Peterson has zip.

Yeah, you're right...this thread has gone off track. It originally was about Peterson's fumbling issues.

BTW, Peterson has five more fumbles than CJ.

I'm not sayin', just sayin'.

grin

Not to nit-pick this great debate but depending on what type of Fantacy league you are in AD as done quite well.. wink I can attest to that for shiz.. smile

Did you forget CJ's receiving TD's? He has two, Peterson has zip.

Yeah, you're right...this thread has gone off track. It originally was about Peterson's fumbling issues.

BTW, Peterson has five more fumbles than CJ.

I'm not sayin', just sayin'.

grin

You can't quit badgering people even when they agree with you. Did I not say that CJ was the best back in the league this year? What more do you want from me?