• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CRP and posting requirements???

JIGGIN'

I agree BobT that the farmers are taking less allowing their land in to be in CRP. But, they are also getting paid for it to be in CRP through tax dollars. You also forgot to mention that farmers are taking a lot of other money in subsidies through-out the year. Just to give you an idea of the amount here are some stats. These are

• $133 million in subsidies 1995-2006. - (Just Grant County)

One Farm (can be looked up on the website provided) • $3,417,443 (years 1995 though 2006)

One Farm (can be looked up on the website provided) • $182,810 (just the year 2006)

• $167 million in subsidies 1995-2006 - (Just Stevens County)

One Farm (can be looked up on the website provided) • $2,234,530 (years 1995 though 2006)

One Farm (can be looked up on the website provided) • $191,234 (just the year 2006)

• Minnesota ranking: 5 of 50

(http://farm.ewg.org/farm/region.php?fips=27149) - Just other counties and search what farmers are getting what for payment.

If the government was willing to pay me 3 million+ in subsidies, I would take a small payment for my CRP land and walk away smiling.

So, add some of these amounts to the CRP payments and the bigger farmers are doing OK with the small amount they are getting paid for their CRP land. Just another way to look at it. I do agree with strait-meat with the land should be available for walk in hunting.

On a side note. I have access to lots of CRP land via family members so having no access is not an issue. I just would like to see the playing field leveled for all those that like to hunt. Hunting, like all other outdoor activities, is becoming a sport for the haves and have nots. It is important that we get a new, young generation involved and excited about hunting.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scsavre

• BobT

• croixflats

• Dave S

Interesting post!!! I picked it up late but slogged thru it.

It seems like the posts are from two camps, the "Have CRP" camp and the "Don't Have CRP" camp, with a few rabble rousing posts. Hopefully by now the Have Nots have been educated by the Haves that CRP isn't really the money making deal that they think it is, that CRP benefits everyone by cutting back erosion, increasing habitat in an area, etc. If you still think its a big boondogle and unfair to tax payers, go out and buy some farmland, turn it into CRP, subsidize it for 10 years, then report back on how profitable it was.

I think the root of the problem is that pheasant hunting is only as good as the land you have to hunt, combine that with the fact that MN has a LOT of pheasant hunters, and even with lots of public land, it gets pounded. Yesterday I hunted a public area for two hours and saw 3 pheasants, one a rooster at 80 yards. But I had a nice hunt, I needed the exercise after T-day.

We need to continue to support orgainzations like Pheasants Forever and DU, their funds get used to purchase more public lands. I also think more could be done to manage other public lands for all wildlife, not just ducks - I'm talking about Waterfowl Production Areas, we could have twice as many pheasants on them if they'd leave a 5 acre shelterbelt and a 10 acre food plot. Hunters are begging for more good quality public land but all the Fish and Wildlife service is concerned about is ducks.

I agree BobT that the farmers are taking less allowing their land in to be in CRP. But, they are also getting paid for it to be in CRP through tax dollars. You also forgot to mention that farmers are taking a lot of other money in subsidies through-out the year. Just to give you an idea of the amount here are some stats. These are

• $133 million in subsidies 1995-2006. - (Just Grant County)

One Farm (can be looked up on the website provided) • $3,417,443 (years 1995 though 2006)

One Farm (can be looked up on the website provided) • $182,810 (just the year 2006)

• $167 million in subsidies 1995-2006 - (Just Stevens County)

One Farm (can be looked up on the website provided) • $2,234,530 (years 1995 though 2006)

One Farm (can be looked up on the website provided) • $191,234 (just the year 2006)

• Minnesota ranking: 5 of 50

(http://farm.ewg.org/farm/region.php?fips=27149) - Just other counties and search what farmers are getting what for payment.

If the government was willing to pay me 3 million+ in subsidies, I would take a small payment for my CRP land and walk away smiling.

So, add some of these amounts to the CRP payments and the bigger farmers are doing OK with the small amount they are getting paid for their CRP land. Just another way to look at it. I do agree with strait-meat with the land should be available for walk in hunting.

On a side note. I have access to lots of CRP land via family members so having no access is not an issue. I just would like to see the playing field leveled for all those that like to hunt. Hunting, like all other outdoor activities, is becoming a sport for the haves and have nots. It is important that we get a new, young generation involved and excited about hunting.

The farmers with the numbers you mention are not managing just a 40 or 80 acre plot. You’re talking thousands of acres of land with millions in investment dollars annually. Like I’ve said twice already. If it’s so great, put up. Then, when you’ve been in it for a decade or two, let me know how it’s going. If you still feel the same way after that, I’ll concede to your point.

Good luck.

It’s sad how in this country the have not’s somehow think the have’s owe them something even though they themselves are unwilling to jump into the have’s pool.

Some made reference to ND and the poor pheasant hunting and excused it by stating that the trepass rules has "crushed" the bird population. I apologize but you coudl not be further from the truth.

You obviously didn't read through the emoticons to see the sarcasm in my post. wink

As far as quoting someone, you simply have to press the 'Quote' button on the post you want to quote, scroll down to the bottom of the window and place your cursor after the last bracketed quote that looks like

After reading through this entire thread a few times, and BobT's feverish attempt to help people understand things from a farming perspective, I agree with Bob.

Until people start to understand the expense involved with farming a mere acre of land, let alone thousands, I highly recommend you take your gripe to a local farmer with CRP land and see how far it gets you.

After you're removed from the property in a 'Not So Pleasant' manor, hobble your way down the road to the next farmer and try a more diplomatic approach to gain hunting acces to his CRP.

Are the people on here that want the CRP land public, the guys who only put in a few hours and just doesnt have the seeds to go up and knock on a farmers door.

Sure i have been told no by a farmer, but lets get real, put some time and effort into it. There are farmers that will say yes. Or maybe drive a little farther, hunt a little longer and harder. Do some research find a different WMA or private land.

I dont know where i am hunting tomorrow, but its going to be a new area. I am going to put a good effort in. I might get skunked, but thats ok. But i am not going to come back and complain that i couldnt get on somebodies CRP land.

And it is their right to say no....they OWN the property kind like how we OWN our houses or OWN our vehicles! Usually we don't let the general public use it or open it up to the public!! It is the OWNERS choice!!

Ok guys and gals, we have now just gotten to a tension point here and all points in my opinion were spoken, and I don't feel it can go any further an stay productive. So, I am going to lock this so we don't get into any heated stuff that doesn't need to happen. Again, as always, thanks for keeping it civil crew good job!