• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Legal Handguns For Deer Hunting In Minnesota

zzammon

A 9mm maybe equivelant to a ,354 but a .357 is a poor choice for hunting big game with. Not saying that it cant be done but .357 was created for one purpose. To shoot people in the head and kill them. You wouldnt catch me in the woods with a 9mm. I wouldnt use anything less then a .44 good luck

I am pretty sure that it was created to do other things.

I have killed 2 deer with a Ruger GP101 6" .357mag.

Granted I used a hand load that I developed, it is a hot round.

My first thought when i read the new regulations was WoW i bet there is someone out there that will be out dear hunting with a .25 pistol, and i am sure some [PoorWordUsage] tried it! but the reality is who wants to spend a bunch of time in the woods and have a deer walk infront of them just to wound it and lose it! one of the members of our hunt on opener shot his first deer ever and he made a bad shot in the legs, it was nice to have the 9mm and walk up and put the deer out of its missery without spending another $2.60 a round

Originally Posted By: zzammon
Not to condone deer hunting with a 9mm, but the caliber equivilant is .354(I believe). This is only .003 smaller than a .357, as many have stated is huntable. The main factor is shot placement, know your firearm and know your range.

It maybey only .003 smaller but it does not have the power of a .357mag.

Size means almost nothing when comparing calibers.

Case length and weight of the bullet have more effect.

Adn that's why it is such a surprise that they changed the law the way they did.

I was a little surprised at the change as well. I can see Lou's point about simplifying the reg. But I that one may need to be revisited next year. Not referring to anyone here of course, but I am beginning to doubt the judgement of some "licensed hunters" we have in this state on this and other issues.

I have a 9mm, shoot hot bonded ammo and believe it would be capable of killing deer at 20 yards or less. I've done extensive testing with it, shooting it through multiple phone books, metal barrels, small trees, water jugs and opposums. I firmly believe it would perform better than my bow at penetrating through bone using 2 blade mechanicals. Unlike a rifle, it won't turn insides into jello but I believe it'll get the job done. Heck, I just might try it out if the situation is right.

The 127 grain +P+ Winchester Ranger SXT's are extremely hot and on par with standard load .357 mag. 1250 FPS, 441 ft. lbs of energy.

• The title was changed to Legal Handguns for Deer Hunting in Minnesota
  • 1 year later...

If I wound a deer during crossbow/archery, can I do a kill shot with a pistol (9mm or .22) ?  What are my options for a wounded deer?

You cannot use any sort of firearm to finish off a deer you wounded with archery equipment unless you’re hunting during a firearm season and you have a license to hunt that firearm season. If you’re hunting archery season and wound a deer you need to use archery equipment to take any follow up shots.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/23/2020 at 11:51 PM, warren peterson said:

If I wound a deer during crossbow/archery, can I do a kill shot with a pistol (9mm or .22) ?  What are my options for a wounded deer?

Another arrow or bolt, or your knife.  Welcome to “Primitive” weapon hunting.  Your best defense against that situation is practice and the choices you make afield.  Not trying to be preachy, just saying the work you do before the shot is the most important.  We’ve all wounded deer.  Learning what you did wrong sucks but you can’t  change the outcome one you drop the string.

Good luck out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2009 at 2:47 PM, lcornice said:

They're legal, just not recommended. The law was intended to simplify the regulations and let hunters make the decision. It was new last year and I didn't hear anything about people trying to kill deer with their 9mm, 32ACP, or anything else. I'm sure somebody tried it but I didn't hear anything. If it was to become a problem, we might re-regulate handgun cartridges but right now, it's just not an issue. I'm a big fan of empowering common sense until proven otherwise smile

I hope that helps.

I've carried my .357 holstered along with my 12 slug gun for many years.  Not really for finishing shots, but because we hunt some really heavily covered bottom land areas included in our hunting area.  Picture 1" willow stalks 9" apart in multiple 80 or 100 yard chunks.  I've actually been hit/touched by running deer 3 times in that heavy cover over the years, and nearly stepped on one that just tried to stay hidden multiple times.  But have you ever tried to point a long gun in that kind of cover?   Let alone move through it with 3 feet of unyielding steel and wood?   When I'm the one pushing it, I leave my long gun with one of the people posting, and pull out something I can actually use in that underbrush.  That said, since I have it on me anyway, I have used it a couple of times for finishing shots, since 50 cents a round is a lot less than $2 a round, it just makes sense.  Though a 12 gauge slug gun if you're in practice doesn't usually leave you the need for a finishing shot.  I've brought my 9mm's along on hunting trips....for the celebratory plinking after the hunt.  I can't see that they are of any use in actually hunting deer, though I agree with your common sense comment.  :)

• Thanks 1