• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
AWH

Gomez Traded

AWH

Carlos Gomez traded to the Brewers for JJ Hardy.

Aaron

Scott K

Quote:
Twins Acquire J.J. Hardy For Carlos Gomez

By Tim Dierkes [November 6 at 10:57am CST]

The Twins acquired shortstop J.J. Hardy for center fielder Carlos Gomez, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

While I expected the Brewers to snag a young pitcher for Hardy, I like the move for both sides. Center field was certainly a need for the Brewers with Mike Cameron eligible for free agency. Haudricourt notes that the money the Brewers saved on Cameron will probably go toward starting pitching. While Gomez hasn't had offensive success in his career, his stellar defense is unquestionable. He'll be eligible for arbitration this winter as a Super Two player, and is under team control through 2013.

Hardy is a huge addition for the Twins, who entered the offseason needing upgrades at shorstop, third base, and second base. Due to an August demotion by the Brewers, Hardy is under team control for 2010 and 2011. He slumped offensively this year, but maintained his strong defense.

IFallsRon

I guess that means OC doesn't have a job with the Twins.

Hardy can give the Twins some pop at the plate if he regains his stroke.

Gomez wasn't going to develope with the Twins without spending a season in Rochester.

fishin58

I am sobbing right now. I dont know if I will be able to shoot a deer!!! Good luck gogo!

JacobMHD

Who's OC?

Does this mean that nobody is left from the Santana trade?

Schloogs

Who's OC?

Does this mean that nobody is left from the Santana trade?

Orlando Cabrera

fishin58

O cab Orlando Cabrera.....move him to second.

Rippinlip

We now can say GO GO is Gone, Gone!

He may benefit from National league line-ups? maybe, my best to him, does this mean Span to center, Cuddy-right, Young-left, Kubel as the DH?

We still need to fill 3rd and sign Pavano, and pick up some more middle relief and hopefully Neshek comes back better than ever and hope Nathan returns to form.

Need to make a few more acquisitions to firm it all up, but I still think the Twins are going to repeat as the Central Champs.

JacobMHD

Duh. Is Cabrera a viable solution/option for 2nd base?

IFallsRon

Interesting that the Twins didn't have to give up a pitcher.

jigging-matt

I was kind of wondering about Cabrera at 2nd also. Might not be a bad idea.

nofishfisherman

I love the potential that Gomez has and I think he can still be a fantastic player but I'm not sure if we really had the spot for him on this team. He didn't progress at all this season and probably went backwards in his development, he needs playing time either on another team or in the minors.

I like the fact that the Twins made a move for someone who can help us win now and into the future. I wouldn't have minded them keeping Cabrera but he's 35 right now and Hardy is only 27 so you set yourself up better for the future with a guy like Hardy.

It will be an interesting off season i think.

fishin58

Duh. Is Cabrera a viable solution/option for 2nd base?

You asked the question......with his loss of mobility at SS, I would move him there.

Jarrod32

Hardy better return to his '07 and '08 form, or this was a terrible trade. Though it does get both Delmon and Gomez regular playing time...something they both need in order to develop. But Gomez has a lot more upside than Hardy...

Neighbor_guy

I am not sure we were watching the same baseball team... We are talking about Carlos Gomez... The worthless center feilder who got BENCHED at the first chance to do so. The guy who did a Hop, Skip, and Jump to throw the ball into the infield. Sometimes he would do a little spin move as well. A "Defensive Replacement" player is expendable.

Good luck Go Go, now Go go go away.

IMO this is a good day. wink

TR21

Agreed Neighbor guy,

You could tell Gomez drove Gardy nuts. I just don't believe he understood the game from a team perspective. How many times did Gomez come up after the previous batter was walked on 4 piches and Gomez swings at the first pitch or throwing to the wrong base or missing signs. I think the Twins were so pumped up on showing the fans they didn't get burned in the Santana trade that they rushed him in too soon. He would have benefited from some time in the Minors to better understand the game.

OLY

In 3 years people will look back at this trade and wonder what the hell the twins were thinking. Gomez will be a REALLY GOOD PLAYER someday, its too bad we didnt just keep him in the minor leagues for a few years. Its like they always say you can teach a player everything except speed, and Gomez is as fast as anyone in baseball.

dfv87

I just hope the Twins remember to SPEND some MONEY now that they have their ball park like they promised they will when we funded it!

HArdy is a guy they wanted earlier, fits our style better than Gomez does. Gomez needs to play where he can just play with his "hair on fire" at a million mph not the structured way the twins play. Hopefully it is a good trade for both.

WHere does this put O Cab? 2nd base? HArd to say but I kinda liked O Cab around the team, gave them some lively players, the rest are too robotic. (from an entertainment side)

nofishfisherman

Its like they always say you can teach a player everything except speed, and Gomez is as fast as anyone in baseball.

Speed doesn't matter if you are doing everything wrong. In that case all speed will do is allow you to make more mistakes in a shorter amount of time.

Juneau4

Get rid of Cabrera he's a pain somewhere: If not why isn't he playing somewhere else? Gomez A head case shocked So is Lariano.

SledNeck

Twins should have traded Santana for Ellsbury straight up when they had the chance

Big Dave2

I think this is a good trade. Gomez may be a good player someday but this team needs players to help them now while Mauer and Mornau are still twins and not Yankees.

Gomez was an excellent bench player but if you can trade a bench player for a starter that has to be a good trade.

greebs

IMO the team should have had go go playing full time in the minors from the time they aquired him instead of playing him part time in the majors. He may turn out to be a good player someday but don't think the way the Twins used him was going to get him there so probably did him a favor.

The one possible downside of getting rid of go go is that I suspect that if Span has another good season he will soon be an ex twin because of payroll, unless one of their other higher paid players gets traded or let go.

I like Hardy as a Twin. Very good defensively and has some pop in his bat. I'd guess Cabrera will be a former Twin shortly. He provided a spark for the team this last season but he makes too much $ to be a part time player given the low payroll and is on downside of career.

jigging-matt

I wonder if the fact that Mauer and Hardy are good friends, and Mauer likes to play ball with hardy(like they have in the past) has anything to do with it. Might not be a bad idea with the contract year coming up.

fishingalex

Does this mean that we are hanging onto Delmon Young?! You talk about a guy who goes only half speed, Delmon is that guy.