• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gomez Traded

AWH

Yeah, I wouldn't waste any time and money on crede. I'm fine with tolbert/harris playing 3rd, and hope for valencia to pan out.

Hope the twins make a push for chone figgins, if valencia don't pan out at 3rd play figgins there, if he does play figgins at 2nd. Would have to give up our first round pick since he is a type A free agent. Move punto back to utility role. Also heard Gardenhire say wants Cabrera for 2nd base and won't mind playig Punto at 3rd.

i could see us signing crede again to another one year incentive deal. besides, where else is he going to go?

Exactly.

Does this mean that we are hanging onto Delmon Young?! You talk about a guy who goes only half speed, Delmon is that guy.

halfspeed had a better batting avg than Cuddyer, and for 1/7th the salary

I'd rather see the Twins sign OC and let Crede go elsewhere. OC is a stud in the clutch, thou getting a tad old. His HR agst the Tigers in the playoff was huge. I know it's not likely, but keeping OC will help the TWins. Crede is a train wreck of inujuries.

Originally Posted By: fishingalex
Does this mean that we are hanging onto Delmon Young?! You talk about a guy who goes only half speed, Delmon is that guy.

halfspeed had a better batting avg than Cuddyer, and for 1/7th the salary

Really?!?!?!? You still aren't trying to trying to find a way to say Delmon had a better year or is a better ballplayer (at this point) than Cuddyer, are you? If you are at least acknowledge the other stats that Cuddyer led in. You know the ones like RBI, HR, OBP, SLG, OBPS. We would have beed 5-10 games back at the end of the year withour Cuddyer. Delmon had a good 10 game run at the end, otherwise was pretty pedestrian with his stats. Outfielders that hit .280 with a dozen home runs are a dime a dozen.

The only reason Delmon doesn't make the big $$$ is he is not yet eligilble for FA. Maybe we should get rid of Morneau too. He makes big money and I am sure we can find a first baseman who bats .280+ without any significant power for cheap. I think his name is Doug and used to play for us.

I don't get why most seem down on young...in my humble baseball opinion he has much more upside than gomez. I think everyone forgets how young he still is and he didn't have much time in the minors either. With gogo gone I think he improves vastly with regular playing time. During the last couple months he raised his average from 240 to upside 280. Work on his D a little and he'll be stud, he was a #1 draft pick for a reason.

O cab at second would be nice if he wasn't way too expensive (A's were paying part of his salary and it was only the last couple months that the twins had to boot) and I'm still hoping alexi steps up...he was my biggest disappointment in 09

Zelmsdawg

i could see us signing crede again to another one year incentive deal. besides, where else is he going to go?

Retirement home???? He gets hurt getting the newspaper off his front doorstep.

I am one of the guys down on Delmon Young. His best year was 4 years ago in his rookie season. Since then his numbers have dropped in power and average. Not exactly a good sign when you are talking about a player who's biggest asset is upside. Add in questionable heart and hustle and I think you can make a case for being a little concerned about him panning out.

Someone said a few posts back that if he worked on his defense he would be a stud. That is true if he also gets consistency, especially with his power numbers. I guess you could say Gomez or Punto would also be studs if they could hit. Either way, you put a guy in the lineup you kind of need him to catch, throw and hit. If he can't manage to do all three, he better be exceptional at one of them. Delmon is not exceptional at any.

Another solid take FG!

Look for Young to have a very solid year next season.

I really hope so Sled!

But when you have the worst strike-out to walk ratio in baseball and your on base percentage is lower than Nick Punto's along with the obvious defense deficiency's. A very solid year is asking a ton!

Go Delmon its a make or break year for ya!

When I was at Spring Training this year, Delmon hit a duck snort that would have gone for a double with a little hustle but he was content with a single. He was then given the steal sign that he ignored. Gardy exploded in the dugout and hollered at him if he wanted to run or not. Needless to say, Young never went out in the field after that half inning, nor did he play the next day. Makes a fan appreciate the hustle Puckett put forth even in Spring Training. There's probably a reason he makes 1/7th what Cuddy makes.

Someone called commons show the other day and said he had gone to the Metrodome garage sale. He said he bought a pair of Delmons cleats- they weighed 90 lbs each. I thought that was pretty funny.

maybe delmon needs to throw another bat at the umpire to get him going. blush

jj hardy is a big improvement on this team, we need to sign OC, and move him over to 3rd base, and not sign crede.

we still need to lock in the MVP to a long term contract.

All things considered, I think it was a decent trade.

Since the departure of Barlett, there is too much musical chairs in the infield with sub-standard hitters.

It simplifies the outfield situation so Gardy isn't too overtaxed wink and we get some power potential on a team that will need more to compete in the post season.

As much as I love having him in the lineup every day in the regular season, Kubel folds like a cheap suit in the playoffs.

• 3 years later...

In 3 years people will look back at this trade and wonder what the hell the twins were thinking. Gomez will be a REALLY GOOD PLAYER someday, its too bad we didnt just keep him in the minor leagues for a few years. Its like they always say you can teach a player everything except speed, and Gomez is as fast as anyone in baseball.

man I nailed this one. I really wish we could get this guy back.

I'm not surprised one big that Gomez grew into a good player. I thought he was brought up too quickly here, he just happened to have a monster start, then fell back down to earth. We pulled the plug on him too early, of course it didn't help that Span and Revere were coming up. Gardy wouldn't have been able to develop him anyway. So if this is indeed Gardy's last season as the manager, then the sky is the limit for Hicks! He'll have better direction with a new manager, and will be a player of similar skill to Gomez, except I think Hicks plays better defense, and is a better base runner.

We didn't "pull the plug" on him. The Twins (and everyone else) knew he was a good player, but you have to give up talent in order to recieve talent.

Just because the "talent" we got in return didn't match what we gave away, well that says something about the organization doesn't it?

Well, twins pulled the plug too soon on that talent as well crazy Ironically both players were on the all star teams this year.

Hicks is going to have to move when Buxton is ready to take over CF.

In reality, Buxton is probably a better hitter right now than Hicks.

• 2 weeks later...