• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Outdoor Minnesota Deer Photo's

picksbigwagon

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Congrats!! An awesome set of antlers!

nice pic but the gun looks to be pointed at ur head!!!

Happens a lot. It looks like his jacket at the shoulder is covering part of the barrel so the muzzle is likely behind his head. I posted a pic of our daughter's first deer one year and it looked similar so re-posted another but lower quality pic that didn't look so suspicious. We knew the gun was unloaded and not really pointed at her head but the pic left some question.

Awesome buck!

nice pic but the gun looks to be pointed at ur head!!! Geez that thing is a beast!!! Congrats!!!!

Ya the gun is actually several inches away from my arm. It just looks like it is right next to it. It's not pointing at my head at all. It is unloaded also. I can see how it looks that way though.

• 10 months later...

full-7-50682-267.jpg

My 8 year old did it again in the Missouri youth season. This time was 150 yard shot and he dropped it in its tracks on the first morning. We saw 13 deer in the first hour and a half and this was the 2nd biggest buck we saw.

This buck has a 19 inch inside spread and we weighed him last night and it tipped the scale at 255lbs public land gotta love it !

full-15313-50997-10301207_10202097726365

full-15313-50998-10501876_10202095963321

full-6133-51012-resizedbucks2.jpg

We had a good opening weekend. I shot a nice buck at 6:55 am on Saturday morning. 2 deer came flying out of a big ditch 100 yards away, I heard a deep grunt, knew what was coming next, and get ready. He pops out of the ditch, comes towards me about 10 yards. Real quick check of outside the ears, enough points, and mature body, he met them all. If he followed the does, he would veer left and I would lose him so I pulled up, put the cross hairs on his chest, fired, and he was gone. I had no idea if I hit him. He was gone so fast and he never even flinched. I decided to give it 30 minutes and go look, 15 minutes after the shot I hear a wheeze, and just a little bit of leaves crashing. I then thought he was probably hit and was in the ditch. After the 30 minutes and got down to look for blood, didn't find any blood, hair, or spore, where I thought he was standing. Decided I would walk down along the ditch and try and see if he was there, turned around and took 10 steps and there he was behind some brush. He was not the one I thought I had on camera. We didn't have any pics of him.

I then Went home that afternoon and got my 7 year old son, he wanted to go out badly and his grandfather was more than willing to take him. I had originally told him it didn't look like he would get to go because the weather looked so awful. I didn't think it would be good, but Saturday night turned out to be surprisingly nice. I was excited for him to go because we just found out that he needed glasses and he got them last week. Hunting was going to look totally different to him with his glasses on. He jumped at the chance to go. So I took my nephew to my stand and sat with him, and his grandfather went to our 3 season condo stand. The condo stand is great for kids, it is fully enclosed, overlooking another meadow in the bluff side, but I am not thrilled about it's location. It's tough to get the deer to come in close enough for a great shot, their normal travel routs are all around 100 yards away, with one nice trail about 50 yards. At 4:00 I am glassing that meadow across the valley, which is about 400 yards away from my stand, and see a fork horn in the meadow. I am hoping they were still in the stand to see him, but I was not optimistic. 4:15 I glass over the meadow and there is now a nice doe in the meadow, and at 4:30 I hear one shot. I quickly pull up the bino's and see a large bodied deer running up the meadow to the trees, he gets to the tree line and disappears. It was obvious it was hit and I was very excited that they were still out there. About 15 min later, I see a big orange blob walking up the meadow with a little orange blob hot on his heels. They get to the tree and clump of brush that I last saw the deer and I see Grandpa motion for the little blob to stay back as he goes a little farther up just about to the treeline. I then see Grandpa motion to him to come and there is the little orange blob running up the meadow. I can't see them very well in the woods, but I can tell that the little one is jumping up and down, hands and arms just a flapping away. I was very excited for him and proud that he stuck it out for over 4 hours in the stand. I later learned that the buck came in to check the meadow for does and was starting to walk away when my son hit "the can" call for grandpa and the buck turned around and came right back to within 75 yards. It was pretty awesome to see his expression and he was still very excited yesterday.

Gordie, that's an awesome buck!!

Trigger, that's the coolest story I've heard all year. Congrats to the three of you! What a memory!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

3 Gen's on a hunt. Nice day on the stand trigger! smile

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.