• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Outdoor Minnesota Deer Photo's

picksbigwagon

No doubt fisherchick! Great post, and great buck! Not only do I love to see the kids, I love to see more women enjoying the outdoors as well! Thanks for sharing your success!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

fun ain't it fisherchick... smile nicely done!

NOTE TO SELF......take out peanut butter and honey and start packing cold salami sandwich!

Great Story!

HOOTTOOTEN

Need a sled to get that one out and don't pull a neck muscle in the process, awesome deer, did you get turned around as to being late or ?

Need a sled to get that one out and don't pull a neck muscle in the process, awesome deer, did you get turned around as to being late or ?

no, just no matter how early I wake up, Im always running late!

deer was about 208#

Great deer guys!

Wisconsin opening morning started out a little slow, but around 8:30 the action started to pick up.

Saw several does and fawns and a few small bucks, one of which was a decent six point. He came out of the swamp and walked within spitting distance before proceeding to the neighbor's property. Within minutes several gun shots rang out..... he didn't make it another year blush LOL

All of the commotion stirred up another decent buck (8 point) a hundred and fifty yards away. He stood up out of his bed and listened in the direction of the hunters who killed the six. After putting him in the crosshairs I decided to let him pass..... for now....... still a lot of day light left wink

Eventually he bedded back down. I could see his head and antlers rotating through the grass for the next few hours....... then he disappeared!

I began to beat myself up a little, because I haven't pulled the trigger on a buck in five years. I always pass up a few right away, only to never see another buck all season frown

The day went on with little action. Watching the Grand Passage of sandhill cranes helped pass the time. It was something special to see! I estimated by the size of the flocks (25-150 birds each), and the frequency (a constant flow all day) that there were easily 10,000 birds on their way south laugh Very cool!

Then a couple hours before dark, movement in the swamp caught my eye. It was the same eight point I passed on earlier, but now at 200 yards. This time he was not given the pardon grin

He will add some meat to the freezer and make a cool euro mount smile

e3895084-d805-4a97-a767-a4507c7a9cbe.jpg

Nice deer guys! Congrats! B-man, Great story about passing him (the 8) early and taking him when he gave a 2nd chance. Nice shot to. 150-200 ish yards isn't a "gimmie" shot.

Sled, you look just about as happy posing with your deer as you do with your smallies. lol. Big bodied deer though - wow. My taxidermist just text me a bit ago to tell me that the form I wanted wouldn't work. My 10 pointer (148 6/8 inch rack) had a 28 1/2 inch neck and had a nose to eye measurement of almost 9 inches and the form I wanted didn't come that big. Those northern Mn deer grow to be brutes! Figure mine was a 5 1/2 year old. The key is to let them get old!

Thanks all! I have had many years of successful hunting and positive experiences. I thank my dad for his teachings! He is a great person with great hunting ethics... The sandwich, well that was my own choice...let's just say, good thing for the rut! smile I MAY HAVE had a few other items that helped....scent free laundry detergent, scent free spray on clothing/boots, scent free body soap...and scent free garlic in the salami. grin

Glad to see so many big mature bucks! Great job everyone!

Our season got off to a slow start. It was our worst bow season as far as seeing deer in a long time. Possibly since the bucks only years of the mid 90's. Then the late Oct. bow hunt was equally as poor. Then around the Nov. 9th the deer came out of the woodwork. Bucks rotating through scrapes one after another all day long. However, there was only one buck we wanted to shoot this year. Wacky Rack he was. A 4.5 year old heavy bodied 5 pointer.

Only my uncle was to hunt this farm and the rest of us hunted a different farm. He was only going to shoot Wacky. After hunting opening rifle opener Saturday and Sunday he passed on 7 different bucks. But on Monday night Wacky came out about 4:45 and met his match. My uncle got him. He field dressed 225 pounds and his widest inside spread was 18" which was his tip to tip. Cool thing is we have a trail cam pic of him from another food plot a half mile away at 3:15 the same day. An hour and a half before he was shot.

As for the rest us we shot does and another farm to fill our tags. We have about 6 or 7 different 2 year olds that survived rifle season on our main farm that we shot wacky on. So next year should be good.

Here's a few pics of Wacky. One just before he was shot and one from earlier in the week. Check out his neck and front shoulders in this first pic.

193_zps4b9fa21a.jpg

Here he is just prior to getting shot working a scrape over.

036_zps37578d90.jpg

The big 5 point

092_zpscb062c19.jpg

My happy uncle!!! We were happy too, as it was definitely his turn to get the big one. Even if it was only a 5pt...

089_zps13116ccd.jpg

Ya know, NOwiser, I absolutely loved that photo you posted a couple years ago, of you paddling your brute out of the boundary waters, on a snow banked river. It was one of the best screen savers I've had.

I've casually considered hunting the boundary waters, but have been a little concerned about getting "iced-in". I'd love to hear your frozen river story.

By the way, I bought a Viper Climber this year from a guy who only used it once. I did not use it at all. I'm not sure I will. I bought it with one particular hunting spot in mind, but when I pre-scouted someone else picked out the same tree. 2 mile walk. Go figure.

I normally hunt from Ground blinds and tend to prefer that.

I'd love a repost of your snowy river pic.

Garrett.

After never having shot a decent buck in my life I scored twice in 2013 (nice symmetrical 8 in MN shotgun). I hunted with a good friend and a sort of mentor to me for trapping and deer hunting. We used to work together and he has some really nice property, though small, he's killed tons of super bucks off of it. I had worked 41 of 48 hours and slept 6 in the last 60 but climbed in the stand at 9 am on saturday for WI opener. I saw a ton of deer and mid day had a bunch of deer bed down about 80 yds upwind of me. One was a 100" or so 8pt that literally flopped down like a dog after a hunt. It proceed to fall sound asleep for 15 min or more off and on all day. At times it had its nose in the dirt and others it was laid out flat like a dog in the living room.

I froze my tail off all day 20' up in a tree and with 5 min left I couldn't stand to shiver any more like I had for the last nearly 8 hours so I got down a few minutes early to hunt my way back to the road. I saw a bunch of deer working their way into standing corn and one that just stood and stared at me around 80 yds away looked big, I quickly checked him with the binos then in the scope all in a matter of less than two econds and pulled the trigger on a really cool deer. He fell where he stood. Not sure what you call his frame 4x5 maybe with a split G2 and an 8" drop tine with tons of mass. I saw the drop tine right before I shot.

244lbs on the hoof with part of the rack still touching the ground. An amazing experience with a great friend, tough conditions and a unique buck. My buddy had never seen this deer, ever, and we think he is pretty old. We later found out the neighbor had it on a camera earlier in the fall that was actually on another property 3 or so miles away.

image_zps5f9e6474.jpg

image_zps5e68213f.jpg