• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

When to take off

HOT SPOT

I got 3-4 vacation days that I have saved to used for bow hunting, the one thing that I can not decide on is when to take the time off.

The area that I am going to be hunting is surrounded by corn, and lots of it. The deer have been knocking horns a little bit. Last night my dad saw a decent 9 pter chase a button buck out of the field. Then right at dark he said he herd grunting and horns hitting. The way he made it sound was nothing to serious.

The problem I am looking at is I want to leave my farm sit a few days before gun hunting witch would be the 7th of November. Right now I am thinking of hunting the 29 30 31 1 and the 2nd. What I am wondering is if I should move it back to the 31 1 2 3 and 4th and then gun hunt the 7th 8th and 9th.

if you can break up your vacation days in half days then hunt in the mornings and evenings and just go to work from 10-2pm thats if your fortunate enough to hunt close to work?

good luck,

mr

I'm taking off the Thursday before gun season, I would take off the friday before, but realistically, on that Friday, there is a constant stream of cars going to the public land I bow hunt. It will be worthless.

Watch the weather and plan accordingly. Looks to be in the 60's Thurs & Fri and then a cold snap on Halloween. If I had vacation, I'd head up Friday and take the following week before gun opener off. I think some nice bucks will be taken this weekend as long if it's not real windy. After the orange army invasion, it can be difficult unless you have some quiet places to hunt.

Personally I would hunt hard this weekend and then take your vacation days Tues or Wed through Friday before the rifle season.

Ya I think I am going to wait till the 2nd 3 and 4th to take off. Ill have to see what teh weather looks like, even tho it will be the opposite with my luck

I always take the Thursday & Friday before gun season, it's always pretty good. Last year it rained most of that time, but still came very close to arrowing a decent buck. This year it's rained so much in October, you'd have to think it might be dry next week.

I'm taking off the Thursday before gun season, I would take off the friday before, but realistically, on that Friday, there is a constant stream of cars going to the public land I bow hunt. It will be worthless.

Will that effect where im at trigger? I have thursday and friday off. The wind will determine which chunk of land i'll be on.

I always take the Thursday & Friday before gun season, it's always pretty good. Last year it rained most of that time, but still came very close to arrowing a decent buck. This year it's rained so much in October, you'd have to think it might be dry next week.

No kidding, the sun has to show up eventually, even give us some snow. Anything but rain would be nice for a change!

The first 3 days off after the fall equinox..which would be tues..so wed -fri..there was just an article in bowhunter on how to plan your trips around rut..

Sun night my dad and I were driveing to my farm and I was just about to the spot that I Drop him off when all of the suden a nice cholate 8-10 pter 120-135 in would be my guess ran in front of us into the corn. Last night my Dad was going to the same spot and he had two different bucks do the same thing he said about a 140-150 in 10 pter and a smaller 8 pter. Last night all he saw in are food plot was a button buck but sun night he had a 8 or 10 pter come in right at dark and he didnt dare take a shot. Being I have been seeing these bucks do you think I might want to get out there asap? are do I wait.

It will only get better. If the does are coming out early enough, you will get a shot at one of those.

For the last several years I've been taking the whole first week of Nov. off to bowhunt and pheasant hunt, its been great!!! Haven't arrowed a big one but have seen lots of activity.

Another time slot to consider is the Thur/Fri before the second weekend, Nov. 12 and 13 this year. The deer have had time to settle down after the onslaught of the red army the first weekend and the bucks that haven't been shot will be out cruising.

One more thing to consider is how many stands or spots do you have to hunt? If you only have one area to hunt, you'll drive the deer nocturnal, you may want to spread out your days.