• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brewster needs to be fired!

RumRiverRat

Brewster as a recruiter: A

Brewster as a coach:F

Good talent but I blame the lack of disipline(too many penalties)and the terrible game plans on coaching! These kids just seem totally unprepared for college ball. Give him one more year then replace him with another coach nobodys heard of. You can have the best talent in the country but if you can't coach 'em......

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBMasterAngler

• LMITOUT

• so haaad

• zepman

Obviously they are missing Decker and it has hurt them losing their best player half way through the season, two years in a row.

Today was ugly. Nothing to be proud of here and NOT good enough. If you want to fill the seats, then play good football!!! Stop scheduling 11AM games too, you'll get more students there. Make it at least 1PM so they've had time for breakfast!!! smile

Maybe an A for self promotion?

I would suggest that the rodents drop out of the Big Ten and join a conference with the Dakota schools but what's the point of switching cellars? wink

11 am start times don't have anything to do with it...none of the other schools have any problem packing the stands.

On paper brewster's recruits look good coming out of high school, but so far they haven't done much. The best players are all seniors from the mason era. So I'll be generous and give brewster a B on recruiting.

You bring in all the best players from around the country, but if they're given krap for coaching, they just won't do much.

Gophers defense is good enough to finish in the top tier of the Big 10. Their offense is really bad...and is being led by a regressing q-back who'll be back for a senior season. Ughhhh!! Lot's of decisions to be made in Gopher land this comming off-season.

Still lot's of really good players from around our "region" that are playing at high levels for both NDSU and SDSU. Good kids who are being passed over by the "U" and comming back to punch them in the mouth. I bet that feels great!

Your never going to have a good offense when you keep changing the offensive co-ordinator every year. Defense is quicker to adjust with changes but the offense needs stability in the program.

The linebackers and d-backs played alright for the most part and the d-tackles played ok at times too. But the same glaring issues remain game after game, it's like a broken record. On defense, the DE's have NO pass rush. On offense, the running game is non-existent. Also, Weber is lost out there and is providing NO leadership. He had less than 100 yards passing in this game which is ridiculous. Part of the blame again lies with the offensive line. A few members of the starting O-line once again showed they don't belong on the field, starting with right tackle. They gave up four sacks. M. Gray didn't play much, and every time he is in the game it's a running play. Why not just redshirt the kid if you aren't going to use him as a QB??? If there was ever a time to see what the kid can do in a game situation, this was the perfect game to do it. This is poor coaching and recognition by Fisch, as well as Brewster for not getting his off coordinator and O-line coach to make some switches.

Yeah, at this point Brewster needs to be handed his walking papers. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after yesterday, it's time.

In the three games against the D1-AA teams from the Dakotas, Brewster's so-called Big 10 team has been outscored (and arguably out coached) 47-49.

Not sure how that little tidbit can be used as a positive recruiting tool, but I bet Brewster can spin it somehow....

One thing I don't get is why we haven't seen some of the younger talent getting more reps, especially lately during the implosion. Look at all the top teams like Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, etc. Ohio State played Pryor significantly as a freshman and Barkley at USC is starting this year as a true freshman. If a freshman is a better option, then he should play. Just like Maroney, just like Greg Eslinger, etc.

Gophers are 1st in the conference in penalties and penalty yards. 2nd to last in points scored and average a game (last is illinois, who we lost to). Last in total yards and average a game.

I couldn't find the important defensive stats, but we are last in the conference in sack yards, last in total sacks, and 3rd to last in interceptions.

Next week we are going to get destroyed by iowa! I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to last year. And then we'll be off to the little caesars' pizza bowl to get beat down by either temple or central michigan.

Zepman-

you can also include Iowa with Ferentz turning a program around. Hayden Fry left the Hawks with little talent.

An Orange Bowl,, wins agst FLordia, LSU, competetive agst TExas in bowls. Much of this with less talent than Gophs get.

Not a good wk-end for the Gophs in Iowa City.

AS a Goph fan, I hate losing to the Hawks.

42-10 Hawks

My question is... how are we better off with Brewster than Mason?

With Mason... we could hang in with the big boys because we could run the football and keep the ball away from the opposing team. Mason knew we couldn't stop anybody, so we had to do it that way.

When Brewster was announced, I thought "who?" as did a lot of others. He says all the right things, but I can't say I believe in him AT ALL as a coach. He may be able to get across to kids and parents in their living rooms, but on the practice and game fields he doesn't have a clue in my opinion.

Didn't we change offensive coordinators because he wanted a running game?

If I remember right, wasn't Patterson from TCU one of the finalists.... how would we be with him and his Texas recruiting ties???

I think they need to SEND HIM ON HIS WAY..

Of the games I have been able to watch of the Gophers, the running game is non-existant. The rbs on the team could not find a hole if there life depended on it. I think everything has fell apart from there, they leaned way too much on Decker and there OC never had a gameplan besides get Decker the ball.

Maybe he found the ol Randy Ratio on the floor of the dome before they moved to TCF.

People keep refering to barry alvarez and kirk ferentz for turning around wisconsin and iowa football. The difference with this is those 2 schools were in the dumps. Brewster took over a program that had winning seasons in 6 of it's last 7 years! Sure we were far from elite, but we still went to bowl games. Won a handful of the trophy games, and even upset a couple top 10 teams...and all of this while in the metro dome! Besides, alvarez and ferentz had WAY more experience going into their jobs than brewster did. So to try and compare brewster to those guys is an insult to them.

Once again, I'll be cheering for the gophers to win. But I know that in the end it'll be better for the program if we get destroyed next week and by which ever mac team we play in the bowl game...because that should be what gets him fired.

If Stanzi is still out and he will be, Gophs will pull off the big upset. Weber throws for a couple and Marquis gets a couple running. (it would be nice)

They almost beat ohio state without stanzi! And we couldn't score a touchdown on south dakota state! What makes you think we'll score any on iowa's defense? Gophers are gonna make vandenburg look like a heisman candidate. Then at the postgame press conference we get to here once again from brewster how proud he is of his team, and how hard they fought, and how BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH! sick

They almost beat ohio state without stanzi! And we couldn't score a touchdown on south dakota state!

Bingo. We keep hearing the excuses that the Gophers don't have Decker and their results are reflecting that. Well how about losing your starting QB and having to throw a freshmen to the wolves right at the end of the season?!!? Albeit Iowa didn't beat OSU, they sure as heck didn't fold like a cheap Men's Warehouse suit either. Why? Coaching. Losing your starting QB this deep into the season is a much bigger obstacle to overcome than losing a WR, no matter how good everyone thinks he is, and Iowa's staff worked a game plan to keep them in the game which they had no business winning, let alone taking it to OT, according to the "experts".

Now with that "impressive" win over a D1-AA team everyone is giddy about a bowl bid? Seriously? The only bowl game the Gophers deserve is the "Our Family Frozen Bag of Mixed Vegetables Bowl", and even that is too high of stature for this team.

The Iowa freshman QB was lucky. He had a pick six get called back due to an offsides, another horrible throw dropped by the defense and a key stone cops defensive play where his receiver caught it after two tips all on the last drive. Stanzi had been playing horrible, I wish he was available for the gophers matchup. He was throwin picks left and right before he got injured.

I agree that when they lose, Brewster mentions how hard they play, I'm gonna hurl. They should charge the Minnesota students 5x as much for tickets and they might show up. $77 for season tickets is a joke.

Mason was a really good coach but he's no longer our coach because he rubbed alot of people the wrong way...including the boosters. Money talks!!

Gophers defense will keep them in the game this weekend and if the offense can actually show up it'll be a good game.

Iowa needed to block two field goals (one in the last seconds of the game) in the first game of the season against UNI. UNI is in the same conference as SDSU. The Jackrabbits have already beaten UNI by @ 12-14 points. Iowa should have been beat...and they were outplayed. UNI plays both Iowa and Iowa State very tough each time they play. It'll always be that way and it's no different when the Gophers play an SDSU or NDSU.

Keep the faith...I'm calling for a Gopher upset!!

I wouldn't want to be an apologist on that sinking ship. Sure seems like an awful lot of excuses......

I seem to have heard there were a few dropped balls that were easily catchable by a couple of the Iowa WR's in that game this weekend?? Must have been that "lucky" thing again, eh? smirk

Who cares if iowa only beat northern iowa by 1 point and had to rely on 2 blocked field goals to do it? It means nothing! Michigan lost to appalachian state 2 years ago but still beat the defending national champion florida gators in the capital one bowl later that year.

This is a rivalry/trophy game that has major bowl implications for iowa, they are gonna be pumped and ready to kick our teeth in! frown Gophers on the other hand will not be ready and not show up, and just be happy and satisfied they are bowl eligible.

Call me crazy but I do see the Win over SD as a recruiting benefit although a modest one. Hey Kid "SD ND KIDS" do you want play in this stadium and hang out with with about a MILLION hot chicks or NOT?

Simple math and no-brainer really!

If anybody thinks we'd be better off right now with Mason and the absolute mess he left us with I have some ocean front property in the Sahara desert for sale.

I would like to see a major change in the offensive philosophy for starters.

Carry On!

Anything can happen on any given Saturday. Upsets happen, teams will underachieve and yet others will overachieve. But usually the crazy stuff happens early in the year , i.e. Appalacian State vs Michigan or Northern Iowa vs Iowa games. Usually by November a team's offense is functioning more efficiently. The Gopher's offense still looks lost and has not shown improvement over the course of the season with the exception being the Michigan State game.

If anybody thinks we'd be better off right now with Mason and the absolute mess he left us with I have some ocean front property in the Sahara desert for sale.

Mason really dug a hole at the end, but he also did some good things and elevated the program. He just couldn't elevate it higher than third/fourth in the Big Ten any year. Mason was able to find hidden talents like Eslinger, Setterstrom, Decker, Utecht, Spaeth and Barber. (I believe Maroney was a 4-star back so I won't include him.) The problem that I had with Mason is that he didn't get involved with the players during the games. You never saw him interact with his players while on the sidelines. He never picked his players up, got them motivated or chewed their backsides when it was needed. He was a dead fish. I think kids at the college level still need some rah-rah from their coach from time to teim, especially in today's era of instant gratification. Mason with a dash of Bill Cowher and another dash of Mike Tomlin would have been ideal.

Bowl eligible after sneaking past the jackrabbits is awful, but to proclaim yourself bowl eligible after that win is even worse. 1 win his first season and two trips to the insight bowl? Gimme a break

Even though we beat michigan state I'm surprised the insight bowl will pick us over the spartans. I would imagine more people from michigan would go to that game than from minnesota, also the ratings might be a hair better. So I'm surprised by that move. Either way the gophers are going to get blown out, I'd just rather have it happen from a mac team than a big 12 team because it'll increase the chances of brewster getting fired. Maybe they'll change their minds though when we get destroyed by iowa and michigan state makes a game of it against penn state.