• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting in The Car And Just Going

lots2fish28

Never been to North Dakota Duck Hunting heard many stories how good it is and that once you hunt it it pretty much spoils you for hunting anywhere else. So I finally decided just to go and do it. I decided to take 2 doz mallard decoys and 1 doz goose decoys and 1 mojo and of course my dog. It looks like it probably will be by myself cause I cant talk anyone on going so I plan on taking my car to save on gas. Will I have a problem with taking a car out or do you need a truck is my first question. And also I plan on just driving until I find a area with lots of ducks not making any hotel arrangements before hand Has anyone ever done this and is it really hard to find hotels this time of year Planning on starting lidgerwood and heading west. Any info would be appreciated

Get your hands on a plots book. It shows where the public land is, where water is, and what roads are actually passable. I know they have them at most sporting goods stores here, otherwise there is an online version of that map. And with the migration really going right now it seems when you find water you find birds... so find some water and and follow the birds to where they are feeding.

Go for it. You can get a free atlas (PLOT book) at any sporting good store once you cross the Red River. Shows all public land including Federal WPAs.

This fall may be really tough to go in just a car. Many North Dakota "gravel" roads are much softer after a rain than those found in Minnesota. This fall many roads are very soft with rainfall double or more the normal October amounts. 2-track praire trails would be nearly impossible in a car ...

BEAST!! Go for it and let us know how you do. I have similar thoughts everyday when the kids are screaming!

how far into north dakota do you have to go to get into some good mallard action?

Shot these on tuesday less than 5 miles west of the red river.

8819_593723952132_185101963_3522013.jpg

i like where your heads at also.. ive been thinking the same to get away from the mess im dealing with.. but if i go ill be in deep sheep when i get back.. ALL the power to yaa!! and good luck

I was just out scouting today, can give u some pretty good areas not too far away from the boarder. Just find some small feeder sloughs, and as long as there not posted, u can hunt em, even if they're private. Kind of crazy in ND. U can also have an uncased loaded gun, just as long as there's not one in the chamber while driving down the road, except on I29 or 94. I would try to stay near pavement, as the roads are really soft. And trust me, ND is much more rural that MN, so if ya get stuck, u might be there for a long while.

The Hankenson, Lidgerwood area can be really good, but there is also a ton of water, so a lot of scouting is needed to find the good stuff. Make sure u park well off the side of the road, with the harvest going on so the big rigs can get by ya.

I did what your doing 20 years ago. It will always be one of my favorite memories. The open road driving at night, sleeping in the truck, the sound of a thousand ducks in the morning, flocks of cans sounding like fighter jets and the freedom of youth. Good times,get em while you can because kids, work and obligations will come a plenty later. Good Luck and God bless.

Oh yea there is a lot of water out there so some of those maps show water that is a lot bigger than what is shown on the map. Some roads in the east central and Devils Lake area dead end into water. Give yourself a morning or day to scout.

If you can hack it, stay on Cty 11 and get past the eastern pothole region to the area between Ellendale and Ashley. You'll find fewer hunters and probably more Motel availability. Ellendale has some great Motels to choose from, so you may want to call and check on a place to land.

Your post reminds me of my younger days in the 70's when I'd lay awake just thinking about the hunting I could be doing. I'd get so whipped up, I'd get out of bed at midnight, pack my stuff and hit the road.

Have a great trip and please keep us posted on your adventure!

You guys have got me so excited to go thanks for all the great info from everyone! Ive been researching a lot the last couple of days on google maps and different websites. And hope it turns out good. Plan on Scouting all day Monday and hunting Monday night Chef Thats the way I plan on going been looking at that area on google. Gackel Kulm Ashley area looks like lots of potholes that way. And im betting a lot less people than east. 3 Days left till the place ive always dreamed of going cant wait.

i hope ya got awd on that car of yours...if its anything like ne sodak was on tuesday, your in for a greasy ride!

have fun though!!

Do yourself a favor and stay off the section line roads--they are deceivingly soft from all the rain and you don't want to get your car stuck and have to waste a ton of time (and $$) getting out.

If you see a section line road that you're thinking of going down, get out of your car and walk on it before driving on it to test how muddy it is--it'll be too late by the time you find out if you drive on it and it's too soft. I've had my own expereince in a 4x4 that got stuck--didn't matter, 4-lo or 4-hi I wasn't getting out without a tow.

Have a safe trip!

I plan on getting a North Dakota Gazateer from Gander or Cabelas before I leave

Not the same thing - do as they say and get a PLOTS map - you'll understand why when you get one.

I checked the plots out online Where can you get these books. Im guessing anywhere that sells licenses out there?

One other question does it pay to get a Small Game license to hunt pheasant while im there. I think its another 85 dollars if im not mistaken.

i agree, get a licence before you get there. also, don't bother with pheasants. i've tried to do too much before on a trip and it just takes away from the experience. cost you less and you'll have more fun.

I think the only way you can get a non-res ND license is phone or net. I got back recently from central ND and had good ducks and pheasants. It's pretty fun to hit some small patches while out scouting for ducks.