• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

When to start rattling?

BRB

I have rattled a few times this season. Mainly light stuff. In a week or so I will pick it up a bit more as we get closer to the rut.

I usually start right now, just some lighter rattling for maybe 20 or 30 seconds at a time. After you really start seeing the bucks chasing and getting more active then I start doing a more aggressive rattling sequence.

When you see a buck that is hung up at a distance and won't respond to other calls.

Rattling can be a good tool, but only when the conditions are right. That means having a buck that is receptive to rattling, this usually requires a high buck/doe ratio and hot does in the area or bucks that think hot does might be in the area (i.e. late pre-rut and rut phases).

Most times rattling, especially aggressive rattling, will just alert deer of your presence and not do you any good. I have found that Minnesota for the most part is not conducive to rattling success as the buck/doe ratio and especially the ratio of mature bucks/immature bucks is quite low on most properties (granted, the rut crazed periods will have certain deer responding to anything).

I'm going to beg to differ, in some parts of Minnesota, what Northwoods said may be true. However, where I am, I have had great success rattling in bucks. It really becomes more effective the last week of October and the first week of November. I have rattled in my share of bucks using a rattle bag and a grunt tube. It loses its effectiveness after the firearm season as everybody and their brother is rattling in the woods.

Used it tonight to cover up my coughing fit from bronchitis figured if i'm going to make noise make something they may like

I'm going to beg to differ, in some parts of Minnesota, what Northwoods said may be true. However, where I am, I have had great success rattling in bucks. It really becomes more effective the last week of October and the first week of November. I have rattled in my share of bucks using a rattle bag and a grunt tube. It loses its effectiveness after the firearm season as everybody and their brother is rattling in the woods.

Agreed. It also depends on the buck-doe ratio. For instance, when I hunt a certain area where competition for does is higher, rattling has brought them in - regularly. In another area, where the does are more abundant, it has not been as effective. Either way, it's a little early for me. Last week of Oct. through Nov. rifle opener is "magic".

Originally Posted By: 96trigger

Agreed. It also depends on the buck-doe ratio. For instance, when I hunt a certain area where competition for does is higher, rattling has brought them in - regularly. In another area, where the does are more abundant, it has not been as effective. Either way, it's a little early for me. Last week of Oct. through Nov. rifle opener is "magic".

I don't really see where either of your posts contradicts what I said, or is different. Like I said, in the right conditions rattling can work. But for the most part, the buck/doe ratio in Minnesota is not conducive to rattling success - especially in any stage other than the very beginning of the breeding phase/chasing phase of the rut (i.e. competition for the first does coming into estrus). Obviously, there will be some isolated properties where rattling can work like on "t.v.".

Sometimes just a very lite, tickling of antlers work for early season. Deer trying to find the pecking order in a givin area. Some bucks will try to hide out who is trying to push into the order. Or just curious to the action.

NWDS I think your post came off very negative of rattling in Minnesota. I disagree with your statement, I live and hunt in Minnesota and have had success with it. I would never tell someone not to do it because it just "alerts them to their presence". I don't want to start an argument, but your statement really implies that in "most" of Minnesota, you shouldn't rattle, I disagree and say in "most" of Minnesota you can. Especially if you are in a high deer population. Nothing brings them in like hard horns banging together on a clear, cold, frosty morning.

I kind of agree with InTheNorthwoods, in most of the state you don't have a large enough or old enough buck population to be consistantly successfull, sure it can and will work from time to time but overall our state is near the bottom when you compare rattling opportunities in other states. 96trigger judging from your game cam photos and talk about hunting a booner it sounds like you live in an area where rattling could work great, most of us don't have those kinds of opportunities. In most cases mature bucks on public land shy away from calling because they have heard it all before and know better than to come charging in.

The biggest buck I've ever rattled in came on public land, but I agree, that there are times not to rattle. However, the question was not where to rattle, the question was when to rattle. Because he was asking about when to start, I am assuming he is actively hunting deer now. Before the gun season, NOT everybody and their brother are out rattling and the pre-rut is a much better time to rattle, than say post rut or even during the rut. It is much more effective for me before the firearm season starts. During the firearm season, I will do it only on private land.

If I was in an area where there weren'a alot of bucks, it would be harder for me to go to the bucks. Calling and rattling will help get those bucks to come to me.

If rattling has worked for you, consider yourself lucky enough to enjoy the experience.

You really do need the right conditions for it to work. Otherwise, I think you're just giving the deer an education.

I'm not saying don't try it, but understand first when you should do it and how. The advice about the last week of October to rife opener is the same time I rattle myself. Mornings seem to work better. Thicker cover seems to work better. Doing it when you see a buck and you want to get him to come closer works sometimes.

If you can find video of bucks fighting or if you've ever seen it for yourself. Try to mimick that. Throw in a couple grunts, maybe some doe bleats at the beginning. If you're on the ground, break branches and beat the ground with your feet or the antlers. I like to go click....clack....clack.....click, not like you see most of the times on tv where they're banging the antlers together so fast that it doesn't seem possible for two deer to move their heads that fast to make that kind of noise.

Agree you have to be careful how much rattling you do, but it does work. I've rattled in a lot of bucks in the last five year. For the most part they've been small with a few medium sized bucks, which based on what I've seen in my areas is primarily what's there. I started light rattling about a week ago. I'll usually do it once or maybe twice in a 2-3 hour hunt. This is knowing that I'm probably only going to hunt any one stand site 2-3 times from now until gun season. It doesn't need to work for every buck, it just needs to work for one good one. I'm hunting all private land & primarily am the only one that ever rattles there.

I've rattled a couple of bucks out of neighboring properties during gun season in the past & then watched neighbors shoot them. Not happy about that, as I feel like I got those deer killed & I wouldn't have shot them myself.

i agree trigger. unfortunatly, this is sounding like a rage debate. i would start rattling a bit now, but lightly and sparingly. the last week of october and first week of november are the best, and only times of the year i rattle. this is when bucks are more likely to be actively searching for does, and will come in to investigate and/or challenge bucks. keep it sounding life-like and no more than 30 seconds long, no more often than 30 min. intervals. my own rattling 30-30 rule of thumb. i also only do it if the wind is calm, this way they are likely to hear it from anywhere.

this year im going to use a buck decoy. i've had bucks come from across fields, 400 yards away to see what in the heck is going on, but with no visual, they hang up out of range.

I've had those things come in on a trot really ticked off looking for a fight. Head down, stiff legged, hair bristled. And this was on public land. I have unfortunately rattled in deer for the neighbors before. If I was hunting in a vast wilderness like northern MN, I would definitely rattle. It can be heard from so far away.

The 30-30 rule is pretty good. I usually go for a little longer that 30 seconds, but every thirty minutes is a must. The fun part is once you put down the bag or antlers, be ready, because the can come in hot. AS soon as I put down the rattle bag, I pick up my bow and get ready. Doesn't always work, but I get it to work on a couple of bucks at least once or twice a year. Works better when I am in the woods, and not on the field edge.

thanks alot everyone. I have an area where there are alot of scrapes 7 within a 20 yard stretch. Wonderin what to do

NWDS I think your post came off very negative of rattling in Minnesota. I disagree with your statement, I live and hunt in Minnesota and have had success with it. I would never tell someone not to do it because it just "alerts them to their presence". I don't want to start an argument, but your statement really implies that in "most" of Minnesota, you shouldn't rattle, I disagree and say in "most" of Minnesota you can. Especially if you are in a high deer population. Nothing brings them in like hard horns banging together on a clear, cold, frosty morning.

My posts were never meant to be negative, but they were meant to be cautionary. Most people who ask questions like "when should I rattle" are usually pretty new to the deer hunting game or don't have as much experience/knowledge as many others. I never meant to say that rattling can't or doesn't work, in fact I cited examples when it can work. However, I wanted to make it known that there can be negative reactions to rattling and that rattling will immediately give away your position (so if a buck isn't in fighting mood, or you don't sound anything like 2 bucks fighting, every deer within earshot now has you pinpointed and will avoid you).

I guess I was just trying to temper the excitement some so there wasn't disappointment later. Cases like on tv where multiple bucks come running in from every direction as soon as you smash the antlers together as loud as you possibly can are more of an exception to the rule than the rule itself.

I understand your points and they are valid, but one doesn't know if it works if one doesn't try. I guess for me, in my area, its worth the risk. I understand that it might not be the same in all areas.

Even when I have done it, it has never been like on TV. I don't get multiple big bucks to come in. However, my best morning I rattled in 3 different bucks. All came in on a trot (at different times) looking for a doe to get shot at while the big guys were fighting.

Alright here's the next question. When do you guys like to rattle the most. In the morning before light, just after light, mid afternoon or a little before dark? Personally i am a just before light guy.

I don't rattle often but when I do its just before first light or mid-day. Rattling just before dark can bring them in but they like to hang back until its too dark to shoot. Using a decoy will probably help in all situations.

at first shooting light on a cold frosty morning. I'll rattle probably three times in the first hour to hour and a half. I don't usually rattle at night. I think this call is effective because deer can hear it from a long ways away. I have hunted with people that have been hundreds of yards away and heard me. I rattled in a buck that my brother in law shot (and I was OK with that), he said it was going right towards me on a mission.

In the morning at least an hour after it's light & usually no closer than 15-30 minutes before dark. I don't like to do it when I think they're probably going to come my way on their own. I've rattled them in late though, when I figured there probably wasn't anything real close, as well as late morning when nothing appeared to be moving.