• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

We received maybe 2-3 inches of snow at most. This shouldn't hinder lake travel too much. The only thing it might do is make it harder to locate the hard packed drifts that are now a little more difficult to see. All the eyes we've been cleaning are full of medium sized minnows. They are eating well! The bite changes night to night. One night you can catch your limit, and the next you'll fight to keep a couple fish. I've seen vehicles coming on/off the lake in all directions, so the accesses must not be in too bad of shape. I'd still head to Sandy beach access if you are looking to drag a house on.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VikingBayAngler

• MBRAGuy

• Chad Peterson

• eagle_3464

Hey VikingBayAngler,

Do you know of a resort or access between Sandy Beach and Lucky acres? I drove past a plowed path on the lake and I am wondering if I could use it, or if it is private.

I went out all day and saw a few eyes on the camera in only 15-16fow, but they were tight lipped. After dark, I managed to bring 1 in and miss 2 right around 6pm. They seemed to like medium shiners on a deadstick.

Bronco, I'm assuming that's a private access you had mentioned as i'm not aware of any public access in that location. I've had many of nights looking at fish on the camera with little success, but the next night the bite can always be better. We had some guests this weekend that caught some nice eyes but not great numbers. I believe they caught a 20,17, and some smaller eaters. Dead sticks have been the key for us as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Ice is still 30" plus everywhere I drilled. The snow is gone and all the water permeated into the ice. On Monday the ice was still hard and shaved when drilling. Today the ice is soft and crumbles when you drill. A hole drilled just part way down will quickly fill with water from the saturated ice.

Perch are highly active wherever you go but if you keep moving, you will eventually find pockets of larger perch.

What a great day on the ice yesterday. Had lots of fun participating in the Miltona Lion's Ice Golf. Being such a nice day I couldn't resist punching a few holes to chase the fish. With the ice combing there is new oxygen getting to the water below which will bring the fish in and turn them on. The drawback will be that safe ice might not last too long if the warm temps continue.

Nice meeting you and visiting with you MBRA.

• 3 weeks later...

Eagle_3464, my pleasure!!! Enjoyed watching you catch that limit of crappies immensely!!! At least somebody was getting after them...Watched you pull the first one up from the cabin figured I better come out and see what you were putting in front of them. I came out that next morning and caught a few myself!!! Thank you!!!

Got out this evening in the wicked wind for what will likely be the final time for this ice season. The shoreline is really beginning to open up and this wind is really eating away at the ice. Time to get the open water gear ready.

Ice has pulled away from the shoreline about 30 to 40 yards. Lots of ice on the main lake yet. If we have our usual wind with the warmer weather forecasted it may progress rapidly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I put the boat in on Saturday and launched at the launch on the East side of the lake and had water temp of 61 on the flat areas just south of the ramp until I hit the first ledge. As I crossed the deepest part of the lake and headed south, water temps dove to 48.

Some parts of the lake are real warm, where others are cold. Still much warmer than average.

Should be an interesting, but good opener.

Also, lake is pretty low. Haven't seen it this low in 5 or 6 years probably. Adjust your electronics to reflect it.

We have a cabin on the SE side of the lake and 1 thing I noticed this weekend that I never noticed before was the amount of small shiners by the dock. Literally millions. They were there all weekend, with little perch feeding on them. I've seen schools of minnows before, but nothing like this. Not sure what it means, but was cool to see. Wouldn't doubt if some big girls move in at night to feed on em...

Good luck this weekend!

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone. I am going up to Miltona for the first time this weekend. Wondering if anyone can give me some info on the accesses. The one on the north side maybe. Any info would be great. My kid is coming all the way from Green Bay to fish with me. Thanks!!!!!:cool:

The access on the north end I would not use. Had ice push up on shore and they pushed to open. But it did not re freeze and I checked it 5 days ago and a guy was waiting to get pulled out, front bumper on good ice, front wheels in the water. About a 4 foot area all broke up and NOT solid

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Was out all day Saturday and Sunday today. Ice is great very little snow. Average 20 to 24inches.

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to Sharing Lake Miltona fishing reports & lake access conditions.
  • 10 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

How is the ice looking on Lake Miltona?

Anyone ice fishing yet?

• The title was changed to Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Just spoke to the resort they are basically saying today, Monday they went out and drilled spots on the east side of the lake and found 10" of ice. They said there was some wheel houses out.