• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Reports ??

HawgMan

How'd it go today, not the best weather with new snow,cold temps & wind just wondering how it went today for those who made it out..

Was out today and shot two for three guys. Caught them sleeping on the corn edge. But nothing else. Also made the day fun because it was a mixed day of land birds and water birds with six woodies taken this morning. Good luck but if corn dosent go down Im not pushin the dog until I see black dirt all around our hunting area.

We had a five man limit of birds on Saturday. We shot seven in the morning and three during the last hour of the day. All were shot on a 80 acre WMA. We figured the 2-3" of snow we had may have held them in the grass for a while longer than normal. Not too many Oct. 10 openers will you be able to follow pheasant tracks in the snow! All the birds were young of the year.

too much corn around Le Roy/Ostrander.....we found 7 or 8 hens in the morning and then in the afternoon, when you least expect it, I missed with my first and second shot while my brother in law and nephew stood slack jawed, guns on their shoulder. They had just said my name wanting me to look at the scrub brush that had been destroyed by a deer....saw an absolute hog of a deer running across a field. Couldn't see any horns but it was built like a mack truck.

got checked by the CO as we finished that day. First time I have ever been asked for a license while hunting....he was a pretty nice guy,

Picks, where were you hunting, I live about 3 miles north of LeRoy, between my Dad and I we have 150 acres of CREP. it has corn all around it, so I am not in a big hurry to get out there.

I don't have the map book with me so I will wait to officially post the names, but we hunted the big WMA east/NE of Le Roy on county 26. Had lunch at the hotel/restraunt downtown too, one of the best pork tenderloin sandwhiches in history.

Our morning spot was off of 44 and county 5, cherry valley WMA? "something" valley WMA, will hit that one later this season as well. We drove over from Spring Grove, we were at the in laws....

Slow morning, saw 5 hens and one rooster, brought the rooster home with me!!! Going out in the morning, hope we get the snow and they hold tight in the tall grass and brush!!!

saw three hens and 1 rooster. too many crops out for my liking. Probably wont go out until the crops are gone.. Usually start pheasant hunting around deer opener. Might try for some grouse until after my SD trip

The spot I had planed to hunt had 12 vehicals on it when I arrived, smirk Thats a lot. So I hit a different area. The dog worked well, flushed 2 hens. Would have been fun to find a Rooster for her, mabe next time.

I still had a good time though.

I got in a car accident on the way out to our land, saw 20-30 hens, 2 out of range roosters and 6 deer. Not a shot fired. It was an all around bad day yesterday.

My pup and I got our 2 birds in 40 minutes on Sat. Could've shot 6 more on the way out! Lot of young birds which was good to see.

We hunted yesterday near Glenwood and this morning near Willmar. Yesterday morning 3 of us walked for almost 2 hours and saw 2 roosters and maybe 7 or 8 hens getting 1. It was pretty obvious looking at the tracks in the snow so in the afternoon we pushed a big cornfield the best the 3 of us could twoards a smaller cornfield that ends near a drainage ditch and the birds came out of the end of that chunk like crazy. I bet there were 40 plus birds and lots of them sat tight at the end and we got 4 right there and the last in a little clump of grass where we saw the tracks heading into. This morning near Wilmar we got 4 on a spot next to a cornfield that was picked for sileage a couple days ago. Birds may be down a little but there are still plenty. Talking to the farmer it sounds like the corn still has a ways to field dry so the crops may not be out for a while.

I hunted the majority of the day near Willmar. Was just praying that the hamstring and quad wouldn't cramp at the same time last night. Walked three different areas of public land. My Golden flushed 3 roosters and 5 hens. Could only get one shot off. One rooster had a hen wingman and the other flew low over the dog. Took my Dad's Griffon along and alternated the dogs. She pointed one hen and another flushed wild. Best luck was hunting near the edge of cornfields late in the day. Seemed to be a fair amount of birds since nothing looked to be harvested yet.

Hunted by Starbuck with two friends on private land on Saturday. We had our 6 roosters by 11:15. Started walked really nice and thick switch grass and found very few birds. Started hunting willow lined ditches and wind breaks and found tons of birds. They definitely wanted to be out of the wind.

Went out with a friend this morning (Sun) for a few hours saw one rooster and 2 hens. Dog worked well. would have liked to have seen more, but was still fun to be out with the dog.

I'm going to try and get out in the morning somewhere near the metro... not sure where yet. Next week I'll be down in Jackson/Nobles for the week. Any reports from SW MN?

I was out around the south metro and saw two roosters on sat. morn only got a shot off on one and he hit the ground running. All I seen was my Chocolate lab kickin up dirt and I look ahead and see him probably sixty yards ahead in the bean field. Long story short the young pup ran him down, but my other wise old girl put the finishing clinch on him in the grass. I know they can run fast, but every year they suprise me. Yoday we seen just one rooster and my brother made short work of him he came home with us.

Hunted Murray county 1 rooster in the bag for 5 guys 2 dogs saw birds going into corn shortly after sunup. Also didn't shoot at some that were not colored and smaller than a grouse. Was going to go next week but will wait. Along us 14 100% corn is standin and 90 % beans still in the field.

went out sat had a few hours to hunt, hit a public land that i saw some birds while dove hunting a couple of weeks ago. dog flushed two hens and that was it. there were 5 other guys that hit the area as well all of them had dogs as well and when i left there were no shots fired. lots of standing corn around the area so im sure theyre all hunkered down in the corn to get out of the wind. didn't get a chance to go on sunday but will try later on in the week.

I shot one and my brother shot one in the last hour yesterday afternoon in the falling snow. For some reason we put up mostly hens and a bunch of them. Saturday we put up mostly roosters when we shot our five man limit. We are hunting Nobles county. mwal is correct with maybe 85% of the beans and 100% of the corn in the fields yet in our area. The good pheasant hunting will definitely be later and a prolonged event as they will be taking out the corn over an extended period of time. Had a buddy have a hen run in front of him on his way back to the metro yesterday that had five chicks with her. He wasn't sure they could have even been able to fly yet. Well at least not very far for sure. Snowing again this morning.

Hunted the Granite Falls area. Tough going on public land with all of the standing corn and lots of other hunters. Group ended up with two for the weekend. Past up lots of young roosters that we couldn't quite identify. Grouse hunting would have been a better option with pheasants in a few weeks.

We hunted in SW MN of Saturday and put up about 2-3 dozen birds. Got our 4 in about 2.5 hours. Lots of young birds around. Saw some pheasants that could not have been 4 weeks old. Wonder if they will make it?

Hunted on Sunday and got one bird. Did not see as many. Lots and lots of corn still standing in the fields. November should be a lot better when the corn is gone.

WalleyeGuy, similar to your experience. We walked grass and saw a few, but then we hit the willow lined ditches and swamps and got our 3-man limit pretty quick on Saturday. On Sunday, we only hunted about an hour and a half at the same place and got 4 for 3 guys (and one easily shot bird got lucky and flew towards a house so we let it go). So we harvested 10 birds off one place this weekend. All were young birds and we also let some go that were too young.

I broke down today after taking a break this weekend to spend with the wife. The dogs were both looking at me like I shot thier mother right in front of them all weekend, (well at least is seemed that bad)... So we went for a quick walk this afternoon, expecting more exersize than anything. So much for that. I got into the first patch of dogwood and rooster one popped up, cackled like a big boy and fell just as hard! About 3 seconds after I got him in my vest number two popped up and tried his hardest to cackle like the first one, but sounded alot like Peter Brady hitting puberty... I let him go without a shot, and then just a couple minutes later, a hen followed by a nice mature bird came up, and I missed with shot one low but corrected nicely on shot two and the deal was done. It was a private piece of switch grass and red cedar and a couple patches of dogwood, it had a creek in the property and was surrounded by soybeans. All in all a good half hour and fun for the hounds!

Went out for a little while this afternoon. Should have had my limit, but my shooting was lacking. I ended up with one nice rooster.

005-1.jpg

Hunted Saturday on a public area by Atwater and was pleasantly surprised by the number of birds!!! Trouble was lots of immature birds, hard to identify roosters. Got the one nice one I saw, my brother missed a couple that he should have had. Sunday went to a different public area, only saw one pheasant but should have had my plug in because I jumped a lot of ducks.

Went out last night to a big (+300 acres) public area that I had never hunted before. Had a nice hunt, I love hunting new territory, jumped a few birds, never got a shot at a few that got up on the far side of the brush, got the one bird that I had a good shot at, he dropped right in some brush and water, made me appreciate the dogs, sun came out for awhile, overall a nice hunt.