• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grouse hunters Journal

uplander

Hunted two spots today where the deer gun season closed Sunday. Moved 6 grouse in 2.5 hours. Two came home, both were in the dogwoods. Can't believe there were still berries on some plants.

Deer ticks were out and about today too. frown

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Breuer

• uplander

• R. Miller

• CRAZYEYES

I've been out a little since deer season ended, a half-hour here, an hour there. I shot a spruce hen up around the Roseau, and a few ruffed grouse closer to home.

The crop contents in the ruffed grouse has mainly been clover, with a few cranberries thrown in

I'd probably trade the number of ruffies I've shot this year for one nice spruce hen lovebigbluegills. I'll be up near Wannaska on Friday trying my luck at 'em one more time. Probably work over to Faunce and hit the area hard for the day... Thursday after a full meal I'll be walking for some sharpies and huns!

Keep the reports coming, good luck to all!

Matt. You gonna be over TRF way this weekend again? My boy and I could "help" you out with a few of those clucking basketballs perhaps Saturday or Sunday?

I'd love to take you up to a little Spruce Grouse Haven I know of, but it's quite a ways east of Baudette.

Hunted a few spots where deer rifle season closed Sunday. Birds were few and far between yesterday and the few I did see were holding tight. The snowshoe hare were everywhere though. Flushed one solo bird and the others were in a group of 3 and a pair. The group of 3 took being, almost literally, on top of them before they flushed. Far cry from a week before rifle season when everything was flushing 25-45 yards out and the birds were all over. I only heard one drumming yesterday as well, which surprised me a bit in that particular area. Better luck next weekend I hope

What a beautiful day yesterday. Hard to believe it was November 29th and not October 29th. Light breeze, 44 degrees, and mostly sunny.

Son and I then hunted some grouse woods where we deer hunt. First we pulled one ladder stand and a grouse flushed. Good sign.

Dog worked great and several grouse were holding under point. We moved less birds than expected (probably because we mostly stuck to the trails), but 8 birds were seen and two shot in 3 hours.

All birds were singles. Sometimes this late in the season you hit that area where groups of 6 ruffs or more are using. One time I ran into 14 in one little area. No such luck yesterday bbut thats OK just glad we had the chance to be up there on this late "October" day.

CANOPY SAM, sorry I didn't get this until tonight when I returned home. You have my number, and should have called!

Friday I hunted most of the day from Thief River Falls and North.. We finally managed the NW MN trifecta, bagging ruffs, sharps, and huns all in the same day. One of the best days of my hunting career, all spent w/ my dad and brother. What a beautiful weekend to be out chasing birds too. We must've seen close to 120 sharpies on Friday alone, 20 or so huns, and enough ruffies to add some white meat to the pictures... wink

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Hunted the Chippewa National Forest Friday, Saturday & Sun morning. Moved around 30 grouse or so in total for the 2 1/2 days. Only bagged three ruffs. The birds did not want to hold for points. We missed a few we shouldn't have but overall we did see a good number of birds. We also bagged four snowshoe hares which was cool. I've never shot one in it's winter white. Would have loved to have bagged more grouse but it was awesome camping in the woods for the long weekend.

Also hunted the Chippewa National Forest Friday, Saturday, & Sun morning. Moved maybe 20 birds total, bagged 2. The birds seemed a little skiddish and in general we saw less than a few weeks ago.

That sounds like a good time Matt....I will tell you I'm jelous. Once in Ontario I bagged ruffs sharps and spruce in the same day, That was my best day ever! Glad to see your still out there chasin em! Good luck the rest of the way!

Matt,

Good for you!! I did that on my first day in Montana last year. Without a doubt onr of my best days as well. It's quite a bit easier to do there though if you are in the right area. Keep afterthem and keep posting the good news. No matter how much it makes me jealous I still like reading about it.

Thanks guys, it was a blasty! Here's a pic to remind me of the day...

dsc06079s.jpg

Tye, you should put up those snowshoe pics! The one of the feet is pretty cool! They sure are easy targets right now, aren't they? We must've seen 20 of them over the weekend, all bright white on the dark brown ground. Tasty little buggers!

What a cool pic, Matt. I was tied up with family and honey do list all weekend. Glad to hear you had a great weekend.

We'll connect yet sometime in the next month.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm done.

Went out yesterday never saw a single bird.

Was out in the same areas about three weeks ago saw 6 to 8, (couple where probably double jumpers). Tried Alder swamps pine/spruce groves all near aspen.

Where'd they go?

I don't have snow shoes, They would have been helpfull snow was 10 to 12" deep

in the trees in the creek bottems down there.....snow deep and cold?..they dig down in the snow and sleep ..kinda snow cave... if u find thats the case.....a sleet/ice storm comes along/real cold they will get "frozen in" and its time to hunt fox'es etc... as they find them or they fine there maker...

Man, I checked everywhere. We had snow sleet/rain and more snow there wasn't much of a crust. Ya think they died in that little a storm? I only saw sign from one bird. Saw a bunch of turkys. How's the weather up there? They say what you have is comming our way.

What was the temp? They will stay in roost or burrowed for a long time if it's uber-cold!

My last time out was a cold one, but calm and sunny. Shot one bird who was picking away at buds with such intensity that he wouldn't flush. Only saw 1 other set of tracks, and no other birds.

It was a great season, as I hit my goal on both ruffies and sharpies!

i shot 2 yesterday with 1 of them getting mounted, i couldn't clean it because it was so beautiful. i saw him all puffed out and he has about 2 inches of black around his neck cool looking thing, he sure was strutting around and didn't even care i was there. i think he was trying to get the attention of the other bird i shot. not going to get a bird any later in the season than these 2. funny thing is i got a triple in the same spot about 2 weeks ago and it wasn't even in grouse country i was phesant hunting in the buckman area.

• 2 weeks later...

nothing like snow birds in the north country and great picture! i went up the weekend after opener to do some pre duck huntin stuff, and saw so many birds just walkin roads and light trails. i decided to finally get back up there every weekend in october. could've easily had a possession each weekend but having a bad shot and not shootin them off the ground is wut i do smile. got at least 5 to 6 every weekend. finally good to see so many this year. didn't go 10 minutes without seein one, and thats not a lie. its good to have a big family who loves to eat them too smile

• 4 weeks later...

shot a lot this year, went through about 7 boxes of 20 ga. shells chasing grouse and woodcock. Funny how they don't last long in our freezer! I think I only have a few left. Didn't even deer hunt this year, hunted grouse straight through.