• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whitefish Chain Fishing Reports

hi, i read your post about camping the big island, steamboat island & little island at whitefish chain lake, so those island is first come first served, free camping. How long can you stay to camp? And most of the weekend the smaller island are occupied? I'm from the city and I would like to experience camping on an island. What are the most important things to bring when camping on an island? Thanks.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• walleye365

• fishgutz77

• anchor man

• ozzie

Beer, extra propane tanks, extra flashlights and batteries, generator, toilet paper, extra firewood. And make sure your cooler stays in the shade, you might not have quick access to get more ice.

marcela Ill let ya know heading up there in the a.m. for my first camp fishing trip. So Ill be able to talk about all the things I forgot...

How was your camping? Did you get the spot in the island? How long did you guys stay? If i come up there on the weekend you think I can get the spot? Did you bring all the things you needed? Hows the fishing?

• 3 weeks later...

Any one have any tips for fishing for Lakers on BT? Trying it out and any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

DBO

Be ready to put in some time and work the 55-80 fow range with smaller spoons or minnow baits.

My best luck has been 40 - 50 ft down with speeds about 2.0

best color was chrome and blue or chrome and green.

• 5 months later...

I'm new to the crosslake area and was out snowmobiling last weekend and noticed that the WFC hardly has any fish houses on it. Is there a reason no one fishes the chain during the winter?

fishing can be very spotty on the chain.

Sometimes real good most of the time only fair to poor.

It seems that people in the area are more inclind to fish smaller water and also do alot of other recreational things.

It's a great lake for a monster if you put your time in.

the bonus whitefish is a great x factor and thats why I fish it.

lots of walleye structure and their are good numbers of fish but they are finicky.

Biggest problem, lots of good places to try and not many people doing it. So travel is usually harder than say gull or north long or pelican and good reports arent as avaliable. However if you work at it you can find great fishing and lots of room. Also accessing WFC is tougher by truck, plus most of the connecting points from the smaller lakes are not exactly safe places to drive through. But if you use a sled and portable you can get most anywhere safely.

Thanks for the response. I thought about the access issue. I'll be up again this weekend, I think I'll give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed up to a friends cabin (I believe he's on Cross) this weekend and I've never fished anything up there. We were talking about Lakers on BT but given the reports, I'm now thinking maybe focus more on eyes on Whitefish.

I'm bringing my wife who has never been ice fishing before so I'd like to get something for her. Fished Lakers through ice first time ever this year on Burntside and been fishing eyes/perch on Mille Lacs whole life so familiar with tactics in those locales.

Sounds like there's potential early morning and evening on Whitefish (Upper/Lower?) for eyes. Any guidance GREATLY appreciated!

Good luck as this is a tough puzzle to crack out on the Whitefish chain.....if you are really trying to get your wife interested in ice fishing I suggest you go to another lake or system as your odds are against you on the Whitefish chain........I tried Foleys Bar last weekend anywhere from 16-50 ft of water and other than a perch or 2 we didn't catch much......maybe you will have better luck and if you do please report....best to access the lake with a snowmobile but there are areas out there that have roads.......Good Luck

Hey Ozzie, you know of a good place to access near Lower WF (legally)with sleds? My inlaws are on that end, but the bank is too steep for sleds. I know of the small winter access on the south side of Pig lake, but not sure if there's a heave there now or room to park a truck with the sled trailer.

We plan to be mobile for the first time in the winter on WF, do you know if those humps in Middle WF ever produce? They're obviously the community spots during open water...even thought I haven't had a lot of luck on them myself.

If you are looking for action then I would look for crappies. Walleyes are tough on WF. There are several spots producing crappies right now.

If you have a sled, try little pine up near dream island. Good crappie holes up there and you might snag something bigger if you put a tip out.

I haven't been to that side of the lake to know but Bait Box stated that they thought there might have been road on Lower Hay but otherwise I would say access the lake from the landing....as for the fishing on this chain I am only into year 4 fishing out there and I have spent more time on other lakes in the area as I have a love hate fishing relationship with the chain.....love to be on the chain hate it that I can't seem to find patterns out there and in the summer it gets so busy early that really narrows fishing times......I know there are alot of big walleyes out there and nice crappies but finding them and getting them to bite well you might want to ask someone else....lol

Thanks for the advice thus far guys. I do have a sled with a Frabill so getting to a spot shouldn't be a problem. It looks as though we won't be leaving the cities until Sat morning so my goal will be to get out fishing early afternoon.

From the sounds of it, if we're going to catch any eyes, it'll have to be after 330 (Im presuming the water is very clear?). Crappies don't do a whole lot for me BUT I certainly appreciate the advice and will keep that in my back pocket for Sunday in case Saturday evening is a total bust.

Of the 4 lakes (Cross, Rush, Lower & Upper WF) it sounds like one of the WF lakesmay have the best potential?

I know this is all a [PoorWordUsage] shoot given my lack of time but thanks again to all.

Don't forget Upper and Lower Hay. Those are both good lakes for eyes. They are smaller and easier to fish also.

I agree with fishfearme, if I had a choice on the lakes on Whitefish and only had an afternoon to fish it I would pick Lower Hay lake... Easy access with a public landing on the lake and also a good walleye lake with a lot of shoreline structure to look at and try. We do well on this lake during the summer for walleyes so winter should be ok also.

Just be careful at Lower Hay theres a very active spring right at the landing. If it is plowed I'm surprised but I would tread lightly around that lake it has a ton of springs in it.

mr

Hey I am headed up to my girlfriends cabin this week and I would like to bring them out and try to catch some panfish. I was wondering if anyone knew of any lakes around the crosslake area that pruduce good quantity of crappies, they dont have to be big, I just want to keep them occupied and have a good time. Any advice would be very appreciated!

Thanks everyone

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I am heading up to the in-laws cabin on Big Trout next weekend. I have fished the chain a lot both summer and winter but typically for walleye and pike with an occasional Laker run.

Since the walleye and pike season will be closed next weekend I was hoping to try for pan fish and potentially Lakers. Problem is, I really do not know where to focus my time for pannies on the chain in the winter. Obviously I can hit the bays and Loon Lake, but I don't even know if loon or the bays would be good right now.

Any advice would be great. I understand specific locations will not be included.

OR if anyone knows of any lakes in the area with good Perch.... that would be even better.

Thanks all.

there is a lake about an hour to the north I would go to for perch......Leech......as for the pannies I have wondered the same thing on the chain...where are the fish period!!! Little Pine and Daggett are good lakes in the winter for panfish

Thanks Ozzie. I didn't realize Leech was that close to Crosslake. Not from MN originally.

I may give dagget or little pine a try and will let you know how I do. For some reason I keep wanting to try Pig. I may, just to see what happens. If I do I will let you know how that turns out too.

Earlier in the year I would have suggested smaller lakes like Loon or Pig for pannies, but like other species on Whitefish lots of frustration thinking the lake is empty can pay off if your stubborn! Haha! This size lake gives them plenty of places to hide and GROW so big pannies are to be had. If I could be there right now i would target depths 15 to 25 feet just outside what will be now deteriating weedlines on the bigger lakes (trout, upper, middle, cross). I would stay mobile as possible and wait to find the key depth or spot and have your fun! I wish I could be more helpful but if you know this chain you know its as predictable as it is unpredictable! I love the chain!

Thanks Fishroger and Moses. I really love fishing the chain in the summer in the morning until about 10:00 am then I am off the boat until about 6:00 pm. During the winter though I can fish all day without having to deal with traffic so I am looking forward to getting up there this weekend.

Also thanks for the other lakes nearby. I have often wanted to get onto Little Ox and see what is in there, but haven't had any luck gaining access.

dont do it myself, but spearing whitefish on wfc is often successful. guys spearing out of heaths houses do ok. not sure about angling.

what's the laws on spearing whitefish does spearing end when pike season is done and is heath a resort or house rental?