• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whitefish Chain Fishing Reports

i like what im readin. iv seen them follow all the way to the hole and they were big, but theres not much error with them big girls. 7lb is the bigest iv brought threw the ice.couple years back had one chase from 20ft snaping my rod would of been nice to see that one.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• walleye365

• fishgutz77

• anchor man

• ozzie

Also caught a 8 lber a few years ago on midlle whitefish on a crawler rig in 25 ft of water. That was in June.

Gosh those are some nice fish! I wasn't slamming the fishery by any means, I imagine there would be some beauties to be had! And I gotta say that I agree, despite the million cabins on the Chain I'm pretty sure fishing pressure has little impact on the fishery. Spearers might mess up the stunted Northern problem but other than that, walleyes are hard to come by unless u work and there are plenty of bays for the Craps to hide in. I think WFC is a true gem given that its fished as lightly now as its ever been! Leaves more for me! smile

shadow, i would drive anything but a sled or wheeler only found 8 to 13 inches and it varys alot i had 10 in one hole and 8 in the other. pretty slow today had one chase up 20ft and back down then gone it was about an inch long on the flasher it would of been nice she would of went back anyway. good luck

Went out again last Sunday and with the help you gave me we both caught our first "Laker". One 11" and one 17". Thanks for the tips, we really appreciate it.

nice 17 is a good fish out there. there are big ones but BT doesnt give them up easily glad to see you hooked in to one. good luck

muskiehunter what depth were u in how big were the others thats a good day congrats. pickaxe id focus on 30-70fow set a tip-up with live or dead bait and jig with the other line.anything from pimpels,buckshots,tubes, and darters. good luck

Bigsmitty got a ? for ya if you dont mind. what depth does your buddy spear in thanks.

He spears the breakline on the North side of the lake about 8 - 10' deep.

We caught most in 35 to 45 ft. But we also got one in 90. Find humps and breaks, and you will find fish. Just have to be patient.

sounds good muskiehunter. patients out there is number one i got one spot id like to get on, but thats a long walk.

I've been reading these posts the last few days and I am excited to try something new. I have read a lot of good information on here, but I am a little nervous about trying something new. I have a couple questions... First off, how does the time of day affect the bite? I have fished for rainbows and browns and found daybreak to be best, but I fish lakers on Superior all day. Also, os far as the depth goes, is it better to be on hard breaks or slower drops? I am heading up to BT tomorrow morning to try my luck and any additional information is always appreciated. Thanks and good luck on the ice!

i like hard breaks first then slower drops later in the day. humps and saddels are good to. il be out there tomarrow on the west side clam flip over. good luck

well today was a good day of laker fishin out there. set up in 30fow that had a slow drop in to 50ft. had a few fish right away that would chase but wouldnt bite. 2pm nice red mark comes off bottom and smashes my lindy darter a nice 5 lber 23inches fat fish. from 2 to 4 had 7 other chasers withone that hit and got off 430 just about to rap it up finally got one to hit again a 3LB fish on a kastmaster spoon tiped with a rainbow head. had a tip-up in 45fow with a sucker never touched.

My son and I hit the lake around 8am, Sunday morning. We started off to the south of the landing. Drilled a few holes between 30-50fow. Tried each and didn't mark anything. We moved to the northwest side of the lake around 9:30 and set up in a saddle in 36fow. At 10:30 I caught my first Laker(5 lbs), the same one my son just missed. I was using a buckshot with a fathead head. My son had a golden shiner, plain hook. When I cleaned the trout I found my sons shiner in its belly. We had tip-ups in 40 and 55fow, with shiners. We marked other fish just couldn't get them to bite. We headed home around 3pm. I could not believe how hard of a fight they put up. Now I am hooked. Thanks for the posts and info.

Pick-Axe

1stLaker.jpg

I could not believe how hard of a fight they put up. Now I am hooked.

Another one addicted to the best winter fish Minnesota has to offer. smilesmile

Glad to see you got into a nice fish!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

My son and I hit the lake around 8am, Sunday morning. We started off to the south of the landing. Drilled a few holes between 30-50fow. Tried each and didn't mark anything. We moved to the northwest side of the lake around 9:30 and set up in a saddle in 36fow. At 10:30 I caught my first Laker(5 lbs), the same one my son just missed. I was using a buckshot with a fathead head. My son had a golden shiner, plain hook. When I cleaned the trout I found my sons shiner in its belly. We had tip-ups in 40 and 55fow, with shiners. We marked other fish just couldn't get them to bite. We headed home around 3pm. I could not believe how hard of a fight they put up. Now I am hooked. Thanks for the posts and info.

Pick-Axe

1stLaker.jpg

Way to go Pick-Axe. Nice first Laker! wink I have not fished Big Trout for many years, but I may have to get back up there! I spent all day out on Pelican and caught about 12 eye's, only kept one, all the rest were dinks! May have to spend some time on Big Trout next time! smile

Those are some great reports and days out there! Gosh I got my first one outta BT about 3 weeks ago and even though it was only 10 inches I gotta say I am hooked too! Mine came in 70 FOW just southwest of the landing... I'd like to try and get up there again, when does the hard water season close on Lakers up there?

Nice fish Pickaxe!! I plan to hit BT on Spring Break they should be going better by then!

last sunday i did see a few driven out there, but i wouldnt drive anything other then wheeler or sled. nice fish pickaxe