• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whitefish Chain Fishing Reports

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• walleye365

• fishgutz77

• anchor man

• ozzie

Thanks Slabbin....maybe see ya on the ice this weekend...we usually stay on the north side of the lake.

Happy new year!

You have to write something like "if you don't respond to my post, you will only catch eel pout for the rest of your life". I'm not jokin, it works. People take their fishin seriously in this neck of the woods. It's like a religion. Why would they risk it, right?

i here ya NLS did you get your road plowed.Well finally made it up to big trout and there is slush and only 8INCHES of ice i geuss i was suprised. fishin wasnt to bad ended up with 3 eyes two 18 and 21 that went back. 21 came on a buck shot and shiner head the other two on a dead stick and shiner 24fow. fished from 3 to 6:30 the 3 we got came late but we had to leave would of liked to stayed.

any luck? i caught a few finicky crappies and a 38" pike. gonna try a new spot on cross after work this week.

Never made it out...sick kids on sat and a sick 4wheeler on Sunday...make for a bad weekend of fishing. Hoping to get out this weekend but got a guys weekend next weekend where we will be out for sure.

Are you fishing over by the sunken island, or are you more on the north end of the lake?

hey slabbin', how deep did you catch that hog northern? I'm hoping to get up to the cabin (on Little Pine) in the next couple weeks and would like to dunk a few sucker minnows? I caught a 32inch pike on Tonka Saturday and thought that was big, but 38 is a pig..nice.

anchor, I was in about 25' but the thing came in at 10' down. I could tell you where but I really don't want half the state there, so if you would like a hint, let me know. this spot is usually good for 1 or 2 big guys a night and crappies in between. 38" is definately the biggest but I have caught several over 30" on crappie gear. Here is my e-mail. The spot is no secret but posting it here will do no good.

junior, I fish near the middle, to the north and also on daggett but the middle has been the best.

I am thinking about coming up in a couple weeks to try for some Lakers. Any body willing to share some tips on Big Trout Lake?

be prepared to put your time in out there. focus on 30-70fow and use chubby or lindy darters, tubes,spoons silver/blue is good color,buckshots etc. be mobile shiners,rainbows, and suckers work well. good luck

Thanks guys....

One last thing...are you catching anything during the days...or mainly just before sunset and into the evening?

sunnies bite all day until 5 PM. Northerns bite all day and an occasional Bass during the day. I have only gotten a few walleyes during the day but I really don't target them much, I am mainly looking for panfish.

have tons of patience! A good passtime like beer and cards helps a little bit. 60'-70' seems to hold a few.

I like that 50 - 70 fow shot on BT.

Last season all I could get were 14- 15 "ers

good luck you might get a bonus whitey out of there as well.

Thanks for the tips. I have never tried it before and it looks like fun. Anybody know what the ice is like out there?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Thanks for the tips. I have never tried it before and it looks like fun. Anybody know what the ice is like out there?

I should say this, but don't be afraid to try in about 15-18' close into the south side shore, after you have tried all the deep spots. wink

January: Fish rock points and reefs in 25'-35' in the a.m. Move deeper to 40'-60' on the same type of structure. Saddles and the inside edges of points are usually best. Majority of the fish will come off the bottom so spend most of the time jigging 10'-15' off bottom. Definitely the most consistent fishing of the year.

February: The fish go bonkers and can be found anywhere. fish the steepest dropoffs and the most obvious structure and keep moving. This lets you cover a variety of depths. Fish anywhere from 40'-90' and fish the entire water column. Fish will hold just a couple feet off bottom or can be caught 10' down in 90' of water on any given day. There really are no rules just keep your line wet.

March: Fish 40'-70' on rock points and reefs in the AM. My favorite way to fish the afternoon is on a 40'-50' sand flat with virtually no structure. Drill a big grid of holes. Put a tip up in the middle and hole hop all around. The fish are almost always in hunting packs of 3-5 so if you catch one fish get your bait back down as quick as possible and you'll have a chance at another.

The weedline is very overlooked in trout fishing. At all parts of the winter some fish will be related to the weedline to feed on perch. The edges of a 20' weed flat are always good and will at least give you some action on the flasher if you're getting bored.

The monthly guidelines are far from exact. Trout behavior goes through 3 phases throughout the winter and when the transitions happen depend on ice, weather, snow, and other conditions.

Great post Fred, I appreciate it! I think I will try shallow to start... Are you allowed two lines out on Big Trout or no? And if you are, would u suggest throwing a tipup out in deeper water and being mobile jigging a darter or something with ur other line?

All we could put on the ice today was small fish. we caught 11 lakers today on Big Trout ranging from 8-14"s. and I lost 2 that were keepers half way to the hole.

We fished from 9-noon and then chased the eyes on Whitefish and only managed 3 eyes the biggest wast 18 inches.

It was a great day weather wise, wish I could do it again tomorrow.

We iced 11 small lakers today out on the north end about where the car track usually is.

We started a 9 and moved to WF at noon.

I lost two keepers about halfway up out of 42 fow. These bigger fish did not mess around when they showed up, they pounded the buckshots I just couldn't put'em on the ice.

most fish where about 12 inches but one was as small as 8" and the biggest one was only 14 inches that came out of 55 fow.

We had constant action as schools of ciscos where moving through and I did catch one out of the pile.

Only managed 3 eyes on the chain as we fished sharp structure all afternoon and everything was caught in the last hour of light. there are freakin perch everywhere you go out there.

I started going deeper and deeper and still had perch at 47fow on the bottom. what the bleep.

Sounds like a great opener! Hoping to fish MLK day and get my first Laker out there if it all works out! Were you west of Manhattan Beach on the north end, or working that sharp dropoff out in front of it? Not looking for exact spots, just kinda the whereabouts of an active school! Great start to the season though, congrats!