• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Lunker

2009 Waterfowl Reports

Riverratpete

Drove up to Fargo Sat AM, most sloughs were empty, saw very little in the way of ducks or geese, Drove back to the cities on Sunday..same thing...actually saw more birds the closer you got to the cities..anybody says their wacking the heck out of the birds are either delusional or just happen to be at the right place at the right time but as far as any kind of migration theres nothing going on...as of yet.

S 16 Guy

RRR, I hate to break it to you, but looking out your windshield at 75 mph off the interstate is not an accurate scouting mission for the whole state assesment.

If you don't want to believe there are ducks in MN, that's fine. More room for me and my buddies. Your loss. I'm guessing your the kind of guy that only talks about going late season duck hunting and complains "it ain't like the old days"

Riverratpete

Just reporting what I saw..sorry if it offended you, didn't mean to mess with your fantasy..your right though, I was flying down the road..actually more whiteknuckling going up 94 Sat AM. And also I was out opening day..been duck hunting probably longer than you've been on this earth.

dan z

you can put on a million miles and not see a duck or you can put on 100 miles a see tons of ducks its were you look and how you look to make the difference. little lakes or big water can make or break your scouting... we seen more ducks over the weekend than we seen all year you just have to be in the right spot at the right time

dan z

then again its also amazing what 24 hours can do....

tb7108

Hunted a small slough on Sat in Aitkin County shot 1 green head and 1 ring bill.

Saw 6 geese and aprox. 10 ducks all morning. Picked up at noon and went grouse Hunting. Bagged 3 and 1 woodcock.

Very SLOW for ducks in this area all year.

Roosterslayer05

Hunted yesterday by myself and shot 4. Hunted a spot in the morning that held very few birds, picked up at 9 am and went scouting. Found a spot at noon that was holding allot of GWT and a few mallards. Hunted from 12:30 till 5:30 and shot 3 gwt and 1 mallard. Could have limited out but I got snuck by as many ducks as I shot at. The cattails in the spot I found were so high you couldent see the ducks until they were right on top of you. Shot all the birds between 12:30 and 3:30 during the snow. After the snow the birds stopped moving.

Quackaddict9

Hunted yesterday by myself and shot 4. Hunted a spot in the morning that held very few birds, picked up at 9 am and went scouting. Found a spot at noon that was holding allot of GWT and a few mallards. Hunted from 12:30 till 5:30 and shot 3 gwt and 1 mallard. Could have limited out but I got snuck by as many ducks as I shot at. The cattails in the spot I found were so high you couldent see the ducks until they were right on top of you. Shot all the birds between 12:30 and 3:30 during the snow. After the snow the birds stopped moving.

I hate being the guy accusing one another when I don't know fully.

but what you just said totalled up to 8 ducks if the 4 you shot in the morning were ducks? Its 6 ducks per day, so two limits a day is not legal. But if you shot at least 2 mergansers then you would be legal. I noticed the same thing over the weekend, the birds were moving more when it snowed out, makes it a fun hunt too!

shnelson

Originally Posted By: Roosterslayer05

but what you just said totalled up to 8 ducks if the 4 you shot in the morning were ducks? Its 6 ducks per day, so two limits a day is not legal. But if you shot at least 2 mergansers then you would be legal. I noticed the same thing over the weekend, the birds were moving more when it snowed out, makes it a fun hunt too!

I'm hoping the 4 he mentioned initially are the same 4 that explained out further in the post. I took it as he shot 4 yesterday, of which 3 were gwt and 1 mallard. You never know I guess, and it's always best to educate as some people are simply unaware.

Still seems like there are a lot of teal in the area, still seeing plenty of woodies too. My prediction is that we'll get out of this small cold/snow snap for a few days of warmth, then be greeted by winter's frontlines and the migration to follow shortly after.

PKretsch20

Sunday Morning the 12th.. shot 30 ducks, 1 goose. 5 guys. Mainly teal with some shovelers, 2 mallards, 1 pintail, and a gadwall. Got set up to late as the mallards were landing as we were setting up decoys. still a very fun hunt.

Jordyn Kaufer

went up to my cabin last weekend and got 1 goldeneye and 2 green winged teals.. Pretty weird to get GWT and goldeneyes in the same day at this time of year... Goin up again this weekend to see if we can't get some more ducks and maybe a few grouse... Lots of ducks flying but not many coming in to decoy up.. Although when we were pickin up the dekes, we decided to leave the mojo in until we left, and sure enough 3 or 4 groups of teals about 12-16 in each one cam flying in and then pulled out when they noticed us takin the blind down... Only if they let us shoot an extra 20 minutes at night!!! We actually shot our two teals at 6:34 and sun set was at 6:40...

mudslinger

Me and a buddy hunted some rice today. The duck gods finally smiled down on me. We limited out with Ruddys, Ringers, Red Heads, Cans, GW & BW Teal, and Mallards in the bag. My four legged friend is exhausted and i'm grinning ear to ear. Many fast crossing shots. Im always amazed how far a duck can skip off the water after it tumbles from the sky.

Moonie

Went out after work yesterday after work from 5:30 to sunset. Saw tons of malls and shot a couple blue wing. Should have had more birds but my buddy's beretta auto had a firing pin problem. Had a bunch of geese turn and come over with the call, but didn't have any goose blocks out so they didn't come in close enough. I'll bring them today tho (along with an extra shotgun for my friend).

hart0670

heading out tonight in the south metro along the MN river, anyone that has been hunting around there lately have any reports? Weather looks like it should be very cooperative, I'll report back tomorrow on how it goes.

jparrucci

Hunting the Rice Lake in the Wilkie Unit hart0670? They really need to limit the hunters and regulations down there. I have hunted it once each in the last 2 years during midweek mornings, at it was still an overcrowded skybusting nightmare of a hunt. There were some ducks around and I did manage to bag a few. I was also checked by a CO both times. I also had somebody get behind me in the cattails and shoot my decoys from over my left shoulder. I will never hunt that place again without them installing some type of regulations regarding the number of hunters or methods. Skyblasing for shore and not retrieving anything shot is not even remotely ethical. It has also become too dangerous. I couldn't even imagine what a weekend looks like down there.

I did see hundreds of mallards last night in the metro, working ponds and fields where they are safe. Figures!

Roosterslayer05

Originally Posted By: Roosterslayer05

Read it again. I said I shot 4 yesterday. 3GWT and 1 mallard that equals 4. I dident shoot anything in the morning. I dident say I shot 4 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon. I said I shot 4 and then I explained how I shot them.

hart0670

no i have some private land i go on down that way, good to hear ducks are around, now hopefully they will be on the land I am on! Heading out now, so we'll see

Scott M

Just got a phone call from the field that there were like 300 bills, cans, and redheads floating on a public spot.

The Oct 15 Migration Report says lots of divers are moving in.

Hopefully I can find a good diver hunt this weekend.

winniewalleye777

We shot 2 cans this morning in the marshall area. We saw 2 others, but no redheads or bills

RumRiverRat

2 man limit this morning.

2 Cans

4 Redheads

5 Ring Necks

1 Gadwall

johnsd16

If anyone in the north metro has an open seat for tomorrow AM let me know. Kids sick, can't go to the cabin most likely and too warm with wrong wind to sit in any of my trees. Shoot me an e-mail [email protected]

Dave

RumRiverRat

15 Ducks and 3 Mergansers for 3 guys this morning.

2 Cans

5 Redheads

4 Scaup

3 Gadwalls

1 Ring Neck

3 Hooded Mergansers 2 were really nice drakes, the other was an immature drake.

Hunted in Isanti county.

tylor

Not much flying this morning - s. metro lake - managed 1 bill and 1 can (first cans I have ever seen in the area), but overall a lot of empty sky.

Full Choke24

had a pretty good day today, 11 mallards and 1 gwt in a slough off of pelican,a lot of ducks in the air till about 8 then there was nothing.

dan z

seen a ton of migrating lessers today ended up shooting ten of the lil guys for five guys... not many ducks around.

did I mention I seen tons of migrating lessers, had a flock 200 plus decoy and you guessed it TEN fell

walleyehunter80

wow RRR your layin the hurt on them.

BrdHunter01

Anyone can lay the hurt on them online wink Can we see some pics? ALso wondering what you see in the mergansers? You feed them to the dog or what?

Scott M

Slow. Saw some cans, redheads, ringbills. Got a couple ringers and a redhead. Shoulda been there yesterday...

Quackaddict9

RRR- nice to see someone else smackin the ducks, wish I could get in more divers, they're so much fun!

Went out yesterday morning and shot 12 for 2 guys.

4 Mallards

3 Gadwall

2 Bluebills

1 Redhead

1 GWT

1 Ringneck

Keep the reports coming guys!

RumRiverRat

Anyone can lay the hurt on them online wink Can we see some pics? ALso wondering what you see in the mergansers? You feed them to the dog or what?

Mergansers make good jerky.

The 2 mature drakes will be going on the wall.