• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2009 Waterfowl Reports

LOL Nate and I heard from a guy that knows a guy that his sister dates a guy whos uncle told a guy that the ducks are around black duck wink

is there room for a thrid confused

If you want to make a trek west I know a place that has ducks on it, killed a few on Wednesday there.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RumRiverRat

• BrdHunter01

• Gordie

• Lunker

Went out this morning. Not a shot fired. That cold front can't come soon enough. Hunted around Hutch.

Just returned fron SW Minnesota. In two days we saw 2 ducks.

No ducks on any of the sloughs or lakes. Very few honkers around.

tweed

It looks like most of the ducks are in the central part of the state right now. They should make their way to the metro area early Sunday morning...

Hey RRR,

I thought you were hunting deer this weekend?

I am.

But if you are going to hunt with Elwood or Mudslinger and you all want to drive about 2 hours west I can give you details on a spot.

ive seen probley atleast 1,000 geese the last few mornings.. theres alot of geese around my place....few ducks tho

Originally Posted By: nate larson
Hey RRR,

I thought you were hunting deer this weekend?

I am.

But if you are going to hunt with Elwood or Mudslinger and you all want to drive about 2 hours west I can give you details on a spot.

Ahhhh gotcha! I was a little slow on that one. Nothing new for me. Just shoot your deer early Saturday and you can show us yourself. wink

Hunt West central MN by my self and got 1 drake mallard, 2 drake Wigeons, 1 bufflehead and a hooded merg.

Lot of geese around the area and saw about 200 mallards throughout morning but had nothing to do with me.

Ahhhh gotcha! I was a little slow on that one. Nothing new for me. Just shoot your deer early Saturday and you can show us yourself. wink

I will try!!!

I slept in on Saturday.

Sunday morning NW of Stillwater, not many ducks, had a few circle my spread a bunch of times but wouldn't land in gun range. Two landed well outside of range.

Geese were active, called in one big flock that I should have shot at but was hoping they would circle one last time to land on my decoys. No luck, some landed way out in the middle of the lake, but the main flock went off to a nearby horse pasture. Oh well.

We hunted near the whitefish chain thurs,fri,sat, and only shot a few divers. hoodies and golden eyes, no mallards to be seen or had. There must be mallards in S. Canada yet.

I got back home only to see birds in town and on the river that know to stay there if they want to live.

Tens of thousands of geese in the metro area.

I hope she freezes up before Dec.1 what a slow late season.

I haven't verified it myself, but word is there are still skads of birds in southern Canada. Reports are coming from all around Winnipeg. Things are beginning to freeze up, but still lots of big water open.

It would be nice to see some of those birds move thru Minn rather than sliding west into the Dakotas. I haven't seen a duck up here in weeks.

My prediction - same as so many of the last 15 years. Birds will hold in Canada till the very last minute, then blow thru with the first big Alberta clipper, and land in Arkansas!

Thats a great prediction... But if you hit the right day on the nose you'll have a good chance at blasting those mallards. From the looks of it, that might not happen until late goose season or maybe christmas...

Terrible morning today, saw very few birds. Some goldeneyes and a couple mallards around. I'm throwing in the towel for the year...

Don't give up yet the best may be just on the horizon.

With colder temps and NW winds coming the last week could be really good.

Every year during late goose season I seem to sit in the middle of mallard tornado on a couple of big field near the river. Anybody game for a split season? 4 weeks on 2 weeks off and 4 weeks back on again would work nicely.

I got the same reports last saturday about birds staging to come south. I can't freeze up fast enough for me.

I have a good feeling about the am. The wind is going to turn to NW and be windy. Heading out in the morning, few flocks of geese were heading south this morning against the south wind. Would like one good hunt this year. If it doesnt't happen tomorrow I doubt i will get a good one in as our swamp is on the edge of freezing until spring.

I've been calling for a split/later season for years! everyone calls me crazy. Many people say they want the season to open earlier because "all the ducks left" hahahaha yea right! What ducks? MN doesn't raise any how could they fly south already? Thats just an excuse for the DNR when they have to tell everyone about how horrible opener was this year (I mean every year)

LATER SEASON LATER SEASON LATER SEASON LATER SEASON!!!

I'm not for the split season , but I could stand for it starting last week in october to 2nd to last week or last week in december.

think how long this season was and we are just now anticipating a decent flight of birds 1 week prior to closing the season .. mad

^^^ Agree I'm not a big fan of splitting the season either... Start it later is my opinion but I would be fine with a split season. I just need something to let me hunt ducks a cpl weeks into Dec. As FishGutz stated, I have also been out in late goose season (on the river though) when everything is froze solid and the tornados of mallards is truly amazing!! Not a single mallard decoy in our spread but we had about 400 Live decoys. Its to bad we miss out on the major, if not the only, migration to come through MN

Bird #'s starting to increase today in the Deer River/Grand Rapids area. A buddy of mine was hauling ashes at MP&L today in Cohasset. He said there was maybe 40 mallards on the ponds this morning and about 1,000 mallards right at dark. It's the first he's seen that many there. HERE THEY COME!!!

Brian

Thanks BMC... thinking of heading up one more time this weekend to a couple lakes around Deer river. Keep the reports comin'!

They were definitely moving around today. Ended up with 3 bluebills and a bufflehead between two guys while hunting a medium sized pond. Saw a lot more ducks than in the past week, and also saw a couple big flocks of mallards and swans moving south. Get out while you can!

I'm throwing in the towel for the year...

Same here!! worst season ever in my book. Words can't even expalain how I feel about MN duck hunting. Even spent 4 days on Thief lake and there was not enough ducks to wad a shotgun.

I've been watchin' for em' up here, but we've got virtually nothing around TRF - couple hundred geese and that's about it. Meanwhile reports out of ND are terrific. Greenheads everywhere you can find water - and it sounds like there's lots of water.

Why, why, why did they have to drain all the sloughs and potholes in our state? frown Why?

Despite the last three posts from you fellers, i went out his morning with my dad un near lindstrom and got myself 2 bluebills! saw a $H!T ton of geese i mean a ton.. THE PUSH IS ON! those of you throwing in the towel id suggest getting out atleast once this weekend for the hunt of your life!

i went out his morning with my dad un near lindstrom and got myself 2 bluebills! THE PUSH IS ON! those of you throwing in the towel id suggest getting out atleast once this weekend for the hunt of your life!

LMAO LOLOLOL The hunt of your life is 2 bluebills?

didnt see a ton of birds today but managed a 3 curly greenhead

only fired one shot today saw a few small flocks of mallys and some divers but not many seen some geese also.

congrats on the bluebills Jordyn keep on gunning dude thats what its about glad to see you getting out and enjoying yourself.