• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wolves!?

Anyone else hear the report of a Springer Spaniel near Nisswa that was devoured by Wolves last week? There have been reports for some time near Pine River and warnings were given to not leave your pets outside because of the Wolves.

Apparently this dog was barking uncontrollably in the house and the owner let it out only to be completely attacked and consumed with only a few bones and entrails remaining before they were scared off.

Kind of scary stuff. I think the MN DNR needs to REALLY take a hard look at their estimating practices for how many Wolves truly exist. There are far more than many people realize. I see tracks all over the place in the area.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Shack

• fishroger

• MN Shutterbug

If true, those are some very food deprived animals. I can see an attach on a dog, but to devour the dog?

I thought they where eating all the trophy bucks?

Sounds like something where a dog had to go to the vet because on an injury fighting with another dog (unseen), then threw word of mouth has turned into this.

Quote:
Anyone else hear the report of a Springer Spaniel near Nisswa that was devoured by Wolves last week? There have been reports for some time near Pine River and warnings were given to not leave your pets outside because of the Wolves.

Apparently this dog was barking uncontrollably in the house and the owner let it out only to be completely attacked and consumed with only a few bones and entrails remaining before they were scared off.

Kind of scary stuff. I think the MN DNR needs to REALLY take a hard look at their estimating practices for how many Wolves truly exist. There are far more than many people realize. I see tracks all over the place in the area.

Maybe this is what you where talking about?

Quote:
Crosslake area dog owners warned after timber wolf sighting

By MATT ERICKSON

Staff Writer

Brainerd Dispatch

Crosslake area residents are warned to keep their dogs inside after receiving several complaints of timber wolves in the area.

In one instance, at the residence of Charlotte Curtis and Bruce Harjes on the 30000 block of Crow Wing County Road 37, the homeowners believe a timber wolf took a dog.

About 7 p.m. Tuesday, Harjes said he heard one of his dogs, a miniature Doberman pinscher named Dobie, barking intensely from his garage. When he looked out the window he saw a timber wolf standing about 50 feet away.

"At first I thought, 'Geez, I wish had a camera because no one is going to believe this," Harjes said.

Then the timber wolf began walking toward Dobie. Harjes rapped on the window and shouted at the wolf and it returned to the woods. It was then that he noticed his other dog, Izzy, a Chihuahua-rat terrier mix, was missing. He looked on his property and drove around the area but couldn't find a trace of Izzy, he said.

At 8 a.m. Wednesday, the timber wolf was back at Harjes' and Curtis' residence trying to get their second dog. That's when he called Crosslake Police Chief Robert Hartman to report the timber wolf.

"I think the wolf was thinking about coming back for a second helping," Harjes said.

While Harjes didn't see the wolf take the dog, he is convinced it was the wolf because the dogs never separated and Izzy never left the yard. Hartman said based on the increasing number of timber wolves in the area, the dog very well could have been taken by a timber wolf.

"Frequently we're seeing more timber wolves and hearing more reports of timber wolves," Hartman said. "We know there's a handful of them around."

Cary Shoutz, DNR conservation officer in Crosslake, said timber wolves have been expanding their ranges for some time with multiple sightings recently in the Crosslake, Pine River and Backus areas. He said the same timber wolf Harjes described was seen Wednesday chasing two fawns in Crosslake.

Shoutz said a timber wolf taking a dog is more common in northern Minnesota, where the wolves are in greater concentration. He said such attacks are usually because wolves are territorial, not because the wolf is hungry.

"Wolves just won't stand for having dogs in the same area where they roam," Shoutz said. "It has more to do with competition in nature. A wolf, from natural instincts, goes after dogs.

"This time of year, midsummer, is a real popular time to have wolf sightings. This particular wolf has been sighted a lot. We've had a half dozen calls on it."

Shoutz said dog owners in the areas of Crosslake, Pine River and Backus should kennel their dogs or bring them in the house at night. If a dog needs to be let out, it should be under supervision. In most cases, the wolves pose no danger to humans, he said, but strange behavior by a wolf should be reported to the DNR.

MATT ERICKSON may be reached at Brainerd Dispatch

I have a lab , but would never just let him out at night because hes barking at something. Most times when he out on the cable and barking its usually some animal or dog he sees. Too many people let there dogs run, is it a surprise some are attacked and eaten? I dont think so. Plus with all the deer around it wouldnt hurt if the wolves thinned out a few more. Usually the wolves see an easy opportunity and take advantage of it.

Its not up to the DNR to set a season on wolves (YET). They are back on the ES list and there isnt much they can do besides take it back to court and get them removed again and then PETA will in return fight it and get them put back on. Its an almost never ending battle.

Hmmm, my place in Crosslake is right next to state land and also near big tamarack swamp. Lots of deer, and my dogs do bark at night sometimes, just staring out into the darkness of the woods and growling and barking. I always thought they just heard some deer, but now will be sure to keep them closer... smile I bet it wasn't wolves, but it seems a few are out there! I am not too far from Cnty Road 37...

wow.... ya wolves are a new type of animal that needs to be taken care of they are all of a sudden killing all the deer ( sarcasm off )the reason you will hear more and more about the wolf is that the places that it lives are being infiltrated by humans and their annoying dogs. live with it or move south!

I was just up camping on the edge of a swamp north of kego lake a few weekends ago and there was nothing more relaxing then hearing that pack of black wolves sing me to sleep!

Acemac, I am assuming that some of your commments are tongue in cheek, but the fact remains that wolves exist in areas they hadnt in close to 100 years now. They were hunted to near extinction and are making a comeback. BIG TIME! I think the fact remains that the MN DNR continues to understate the real population for a couple of reasons most notably that they are almost impossible to see which is the #1 way to estimate numbers.

I didnt hear this particular story myself, but supposedly it was on an area radio station. The Warnings from Cross Lake were a separate incident and those have been going on all summer near Pine River.

I really believe that Wolves are more afraid of us than we are of them, but no one knows what a hungry or injured animal will do and if you get them in numbers there is no defeating them.

I really dont care if they have a season on them, but they should admit they are out there. They are doing the same thing with Cougars. They refuse to admit they are around and one of my dad's neighbors had very poor pictures of what definitely appeared to be a young cougar in his back yard in Pequot Lakes.

"They are doing the same thing with Cougars. They refuse to admit they are around and one of my dad's neighbors had very poor pictures of what definitely appeared to be a young cougar in his back yard in Pequot Lakes."

The DNR has said for years that there is a small population of cougars in MN. The question is, are the animals wild or domestic?

What they also say is that they aren’t sure if it is a breeding population. Most of the cougars that are seen (some have been killed) are released domestic pets. The DNR tests the cougars that are killed and most have parasites that are only in domesticated animals.

As for the wolves... they were here long before us and will be around long after (hopefully). The wolf does a lot less damage than deer. Several Minnesotans are killed every year by deer (motorcycle and auto accidents) but we don't hear anyone clamoring for the extermination of the whitetail herd.

I think that wolves are an amazing animal and I respect and appreciate them but I also think they belong in the wilderness areas they populated before their numbers grew out of control. With the numbers as high as they are, wolves are expanding their territory to highly populated areas. When wild animals are not afraid of humans is when trouble follows.

The DNR has said for years that there is a small population of cougars in MN. The question is, are the animals wild or domestic?

I have asked this question to various conservation officers around the state, as have my buddies and others and all received the same response. You get a blank stare and complete denial that they exist. It is almost like you told them you saw the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus.

Anyway, I suppose your point about them being "wild" or domestic is true as I know this has been a larger problem in recent years.

Yesterday in the the strib they said Federal trappers had caught 10 wolves near Hinkley and I remember not too long ago they got 7 near Pine City. Last year duck hunting in Carlos Avery I heard one chime in with a bunch of coyotes. It was undoubtedly a wolf. I asked the other guys at the launch when we came in and they heard it too. And no, I don,t hunt within earshot of the wildlife science center.

I think that wolves are an amazing animal and I respect and appreciate them but I also think they belong in the wilderness areas they populated before their numbers grew out of control. With the numbers as high as they are, wolves are expanding their territory to highly populated areas. When wild animals are not afraid of humans is when trouble follows.
Very good point! Just ask what people around Denver think about Coyotes! I know people that have had their dogs snatched out of their yards and some people have been attacked while on walks on their streets by Coyotes. The sad part is in some cases the animals were here first, BUT, not in some locations. They follow food and unfortunately residential areas there is a lot of food with gardens and just normal refuse so it attacts the whole food chain. I dont think there is an easy answer. Soon the Bad Bears that infiltrate neighborhoods will be replaced by Wolves, etc. They are amazing creatures, but I dont really want to run into one. One of my buddies was face to face with one in Bemidji while I went to school there. The wolf thought he was a deer because he was wearing so much deer scent when hanging his deer stand. All he had with him was a 20 guage shotgun with birdshot. The wolf growled at him and showed his teeth. It was less than 20 yards from him. He took a chance and shot in the air and it bolted away. Needless to say he didnt end up bowhunting out there. :-)

Please, lets get control of our emotions and start thinking with logic. I believe wolves are higher in pop. than is stated also, but the DNR and USFWS have their population models they go by, neither has ever said it was exact or perfect. Until they are delisted again and the state gains control of managment we will have to deal with what we have.

Now the population has climbed over the past couple decades (not over night people) but are now for the most part a stable population. Camp Ripley and Pillsbury State forest have had wolves since the 80's, if not longer. They are a great creature we should coexist with, not hate or fear. Just like any wild animal, we will have run-ins that are not pleasant.

Also, for the greater good of this site, can we stop promoting illegal actions, (such as SSS) we are starting to sound like a bunch of ruffians, it needs to stop!

Personally, I think there are too many dogs around. Seriously. I am so sick of yapping and howling dogs in my neighborhood, I'm soon going to be putting my house up for sale and hopefully finding a quieter area to live. Don't get me wrong. I love dogs and have a worthless little Lhasa Apso. However, I don't let my dog stay outside when she's barking. After 1 minute of noise from her, she's back in the house. People who want dogs should show some responsibility and control them and if living near wild country, be aware of them and their surroundings and not let them out of their sight. It's just plain common sense.

I agree x-tackleman. I have two large dogs, and they only bark when something or someone shows up unexpectedly, and I like that type of barking. But I go check them when I hear them, because something is wrong. I also never leave them outside unattended - after they were pups and they barked all afternoon, once, I learned my lesson, and know that the only way to ensure dogs are not barkers is to keep them inside if you are not around. Got into a "dispute" with my neighbor over her dog and its barking. Thankfully she fixed that issue, but we still hear plenty of yapping dogs from around the lake, all day and night, and it is a PITA for sure.

As for wolves, I like them. I think they can co-mingle in areas with deer and people. But as others have said, protecting people and pets is first on my list, and livestock. But we can do what we can to lessen the chance of pets getting taken, just by being better pet owners. Don't let them roam or outside fences, if we know there are wolves around. Pretty simple to me, but I am not the brightest bulb on the turnip truck... smile

Bulb on the turnip truck? Hmmmm... Point taken. wink

Seriously Box, well stated. It really comes down to responsibility.

Nothing better than a pack of howling wolves singing in the distance when sitting in your deer stand or crappie fishing in the evening! Watched one mousing, in a field near crosslake, the other day for about 20 minutes. They are really something to behold.

I couldn't agree more Recon. I remember sitting around a campfire at night in the BWCA and listening to a pack of wolves howling to each other in the distance. It is one of those things you never forget or want to. Man has to learn to co-exist with wolves and that includes keeping their pets out of dangers way. Wolves will be wolves and people have to use that big brain they were given.

East of Backus, there was a couple calves killed by wolves this summer. A government trapper was brought in and he caught 8 wolves on one farm.

There are a LOT of wolves around this area. They take a lot of deer and I agree that we can coexist with the wolves, but only if we have a way to control them. There are areas where they have decimated the deer population and there is nothing that can be done but shoot shovel and shutup (SSS) there is a lot of that going on. It's far past time we had a season on wolves and then we could keep them under control by legal means.

Funny, because when i called our local office here in Cloquet this spring the CO I talked to said that there are mt. lions that roam thru MN every year. Had one walk out next to my house right in front of the next door neighbors wife as she drove down the street. The CO said that the majority of the ones that they have verified have been young males, looking for a territory. I called since we have several small children in the area (including mine), but the CO said these males are usually moving thru an area looking for a mate. He said that they may come from as far away as the western Dakota's.

Regarding the wolves, you do realize that the DNR's last population estimate was @3200 wolves in the state? That's alot of animals, so I dont think that they are off by that much. If anything, the large deer herd is spurring any increase in wolf numbers. Lots of easy food means reduced pup mortality.

The same CO told me that there is an established pack just west of my house in the DNR's Cloquet Experimental forest. Personally I am more concerned about the black bears that frequent the house than the wolves. I just make sure to keep the dog close by when we are out in the woods.

Wow, as I was typing my response all the comments were deletted????

I agree that we can coexist with Wolves. I have only seen 2 in the wild and I admit, it was something to behold. It does make me nervous walking into the woods covered in deer scent, so I no longer put the cover scent directly on me.

I too have heard of people poaching wolves and I think that is a shame. They are a magnificent animal, we just need to work with the proper authorities to control the population. As some have said here there have been measures taken in some areas where there have been problems to remove troublesome animals. So they do listen and address the problem.

East of Backus, there was a couple calves killed by wolves this summer. A government trapper was brought in and he caught 8 wolves on one farm.

There are a LOT of wolves around this area. They take a lot of deer and I agree that we can coexist with the wolves, but only if we have a way to control them. There are areas where they have decimated the deer population and there is nothing that can be done but shoot shovel and shutup (SSS) there is a lot of that going on. It's far past time we had a season on wolves and then we could keep them under control by legal means.

I will say it again, if you are wolf lover the above comment is music to your ears. It is people breaking federal law and blabbing about it in open public that gets them put back on the list.

You know breaking a Federal law is pretty much one of the most serious thing you can do. If anyone feels the urge to take matters into their own hands (especially if you have family depending on you), consult an attorney first! Get an idea of what the costs are involved in just defending your self in Federal court. Then get an actual idea of how long you will spend in jail. This is Federal court we are talking and you know the old saying is "if you are standing in a Federal court room on trail, you will be pleading guilty" wink

This shoot, shovel and shut up is the biggest joke saying I have heard grin

For one: Anyone who would actually put them selves in a position to be shipped out of state to a federal prison, share a cell and become the slave of a top ranking Al-Qaida official for 10 plus years most likely is going to no keep his mouth shut. IMO chances are he is a "big-shot" loud mouth who obviously thinks his entrails do not stink. By posting anything about this SSS method, like people are doing all over the internet, shows that this "Shoot" "Shovel" & "Shut-Up" is doomed from the get go! whistle If you approve of this method in your post, admit to knowing people who have done this, bragging to spread the word about SSS, you broken the cardinal number one rule of "Shoot" "Shovel" & "Shut-Up"! You can not SHUT-UP grin

For two: This SSS approach puts a person in a position to (out of the blue) be woken up at 1:00am while the family is sleeping, front door kicked in and federal officers digging threw every nook and cranny in your house. This while the SSS offender is carted away in cuffs, leaving his family to wonder what is going on. Like I said in Silly Town. I am very sure the Fed's are not going to tell the family what you have done. Your family members and loved ones will have to wait until it is leaked to the media a day or two after. Figured I would go over that grin Not helping anyone out here (maybe am?), but this shoot, shovel and shut up approach places evidence all over the area that can be easily linked right back to you. Especially if the SSS'er shoots and kills many wolves. How will they find these wolves you ask. I think many things are possible, but the first thing that comes to my mind is an embedded micro GPS tracking chip. wink If I can go down to the local vet and have one put in my dog for about $50, I am sure the Fed Gov. is will to pay about $5000. If this talk and actions keep up, you thinks the federal government is going to just turn a blind eye? I would think not. You will get caught. When they find a wolf dead, I am sure it will look as it would for a human murder crime seen as far as officers and forensics go. Pictures, foot print molds, DNA sample and god knows what else. Not me baby, no way! grin

Look at the Farmer from St. Lousie:

Quote:

ST. LOUIS

Leslie Owen Collier was surrounded by cattle at a livestock auction when his cell phone rang. It was the White House.

Twelve years after pleading guilty to federal charges in the deaths of three bald eagles, Collier learned his name was cleared: He was pardoned by President George W. Bush.

"I guess I was humbled is the best way to say it — I never thought it would happen," Collier, 50, said in a phone interview this week. "It was emotional. I almost came to tears, really."

Collier was among 14 people pardoned by Bush on Monday. The president has granted just 171 pardons overall — less than half as many as the other most recent two-term presidents, Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan.

The 1995 incident that changed the life of the farmer from the Charleston area of southeastern Missouri began when he noticed an increasing number of wild turkeys, which were believed to have died away. "I got it in my head that if I eliminated some of the coyotes it would give the turkeys a jump-start," on their comeback, Collier said.

So he put out hamburger meat laced with the pesticide Furadan in an effort to kill the coyotes. It worked; seven coyotes died.

The problem occurred when the eagles fed on the coyotes' carcasses. They died, too. So did a red-tailed hawk and a great horned owl, among other animals.

The birds are federally protected and killing them is illegal. Collier said the crime became a felony when the second eagle died. He pleaded guilty in late 1995 and received two years of probation.

While he didn't go to jail, the conviction was hard on Collier. He was ordered to pay $10,000 in restitution. As a convicted felon, the longtime hunter had to give up his guns.

Beyond that, there were the occasional news articles and Web postings referring to Collier as the guy who killed bald eagles, America's national bird. Sometimes in town, he'd get looks that were difficult to ignore.

"For a while, you think people kind of look at you different," Collier said.

But many in and around Charleston, a town of about 5,000 residents, felt Collier was penalized too harshly because he clearly didn't intend to hurt the eagles. Among those in his corner was Lanie Black, then the state representative for the region, as well as a close family friend.

The men attend the same church, where Black teaches one of Collier's three children in Sunday School. When Collier lost part of a leg in a farming accident several years ago, Black was among those keeping vigil at the hospital.

To him, the prosecution of Collier never made sense.

"Everybody down here feels he was taken advantage of by a bunch of slick-tongued lawyers and prosecutors," Black said.

So Black and other supporters began writing letters seeking a pardon. Several months ago, U.S. Attorney Catherine Hanaway contacted Black and requested the full story. Hanaway had been asked by a pardon attorney for the Department of Justice for input about the possibility of a pardon.

Hanaway said she spoke with federal prosecutors familiar with the case, with the judge, even with people in the Charleston area who know Collier. "By all accounts ... he is a pillar of the community down there," she said.

Collier said he didn't hear anything else until Monday. He feels vindicated and relieved his name is cleared.

"What happened really was regretful," Collier said. "I'd always be really excited to see a bald eagle. It sure never entered into my head I might kill some."

This guy got off easy because he plead guilty to a lessor charge and just had a federal conviction on his record, legal fee's and $10,000 in restitution. Not to mention the heart ache him and his family went threw. In the end president Bush cleaned him of the felony charges. If I recall, the above farmer even called in the reported dead eagles himself. Man, the federal government shows no mercy and more power to them.

The major thing that sets the above farmer apart from a person who indulges in "Shoot" "Shovel" & "Shut-Up" with the MN gray/timber wolf is the above farmer was not intentional trying to kill a federally protected animal. The SSS'er "intentional" is. I am not lawyer, but that to me spells "good night nurse", "what are they serving tonight for dinner", instant knowledge of the inner prison gangs running the federal facility you are going to be living at for the next 5-20 years, "hey boy! Pick up that bar of soap"..

Good luck to the SSS'er. smirk

For some good learning reading material, pick up, order or search on-line The Killing of Wolf Number Ten by Thomas McNamee

He got off easy, but where the Federal jury trail was held (as explained) was in a semi-sympathetic vicinity to this kind of thing. Down Town Minneapolis, Federal Court, wolf killer eek

Here is a blurp from The Killing Of Wolf Number Ten:

Quote:
In late October, 12 Montanans — unassuming, attentive, unused to being watched so hard — sit in the jury box in federal district court in Billings, hearing two and a half days of testimony from Dusty Steinmasel, Tim Eicher, Chad McKittrick, and the forensic scientists from Oregon. McKittrick continues to claim that he thought Number Ten was a dog. Steinmasel testifies that McKittrick knew perfectly well that he was shooting a wolf. The jury's deliberation lasts an hour and fifteen minutes. McKittrick is found guilty of killing a member of a threatened species, guilty of possessing its remains, and guilty of transporting them.

Federal magistrate Richard Anderson sentences Chad McKittrick to three months in the Yellowstone County Detention Center and a subsequent three months in the interestingly named Alpha House, in Billings. The six months of imprisonment will be followed by a year of "supervisory release," during which the wolf killer will be subject to surprise drug tests, random searches of his property, and all-around close watching. The court recognizes McKittrick as indigent but warns him that as soon as he starts earning an income he will be expected to pay the United States of America $10,000 in restitution, which the judge figures to have been roughly the cost of the capture, transportation, handling, medical care, custody, feeding, release, and monitoring of Wolf Number Ten.

Plus never hunt again! No guns for felons is what I have heard. They where caught using old 90's forensics technology. Just image what they have know if they want to find a SSS'er wink

Good luck to the SSS'er. smirk

DNR looking at cougar hit and killed near Bemidji

The Associated Press

BEMIDJI, Minn. — Wildlife researchers are trying to find out more information about a mountain lion that was hit and killed by a car near Bemidji.

The mountain lion was hit on Friday night. On Monday, the cat was taken to Grand Rapids where Minnesota Department of Natural Resources researchers will perform a necropsy.

Blane Klemek, a DNR wildlife manager in Bemidji, says the adult female cougar appears to have been a wild animal, because she didn't have a collar and hadn't been declawed.

Klemek says researchers will look in the cat's stomach to see what she's been eating. The necropsy will also determine how old she was.

Confirmed mountain lion sightings in Minnesota are rare.

———

Oh ya, I forgot one thing!

The reward! grin

$10,000 for just saying old Bill shot a wolf down on Pikes road is mighty tempting grin

I know I would rat out old Bill wink

I think the rewards I have researched on the web are standard around $5000-$10,000 to catch a wolf killer. Once the public finds out, wolf organization find out, PETA and everyone, you could be up to $50,000-$100,000 maybe depending on the impact to the public? After a group of SSS'ers actions are exposed to the public, it hits CBS Nightly News as "wolf murder", the offering will start to roll in.

If you know someone who has shot a wolf while they where federal protected, where not involved (or maybe even where confused ), need money right now, go threw the right channels, you are sitting on some seemingly quick and cash right now. I am also extremely positive you will not be receiving a 1099 for this also winkgrin

Not about a US F&G reward, but here is a run down from WY when they where on the list:

Quote:

Star Valley Independent

Reward Offered for Information Regarding Illegal Wolf Kill

By Sarah Hale on May 15, 2008 in Featured

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is offering a reward of up to $3,000 for information about an illegal wolf kill in northwest Wyoming.

On April 21, Game and Fish personnel responded to a call about a wolf carcass found near Highway 26/287 in the Buffalo Valley, east of Moran Junction and west of Togwotee Pass. They found the female wolf carcass about 25 feet from the main highway, where it had apparently slid down an embankment. The cause of death was not apparent, so the carcass was sent to the Game and Fish Laboratory in Laramie for further analysis. A necropsy found small traces of a bullet in the carcass and wounds suggesting the animal had been shot at least once.

A person convicted in this case could face a maximum fine of $10,000 and up to a year in jail.

“Compliance with state laws related to wolves is an important component of successful wolf management in Wyoming,” said Wyoming Chief Game Warden Jay Lawson. “The public can help us achieve that compliance by reporting violations in a timely manner. I want to make it clear that our game wardens and investigators are taking their new responsibilities related to wolf management very seriously. We will thoroughly investigate all reported violations to determine if prosecution is appropriate.”

Wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains were officially removed from the federal Endangered Species List on March 28, 2008, and are currently under management authority of the states. This incident is the first evidence of any illegal killing of wolves in Wyoming since delisting. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service estimates that before delisting, 10 percent of annual wolf mortality in the northern Rocky Mountains was attributable to illegal take.

Anyone with information—even second-hand information—may be eligible for a cash reward if the information leads to a conviction. Callers to Wyoming’s Stop Poaching Hotline can remain anonymous, and any reward money can be collected anonymously. Report information to the Stop Poaching Hotline at (877) WGFD-TIP (877-943-3847).

Quick cash (maybe) and here is the number: grin

Region Three — Great Lakes, Big Rivers

Chief, Division of Endangered Species

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Bishop Henry Whipple Federal Building

One Federal Drive

Ft. Snelling, MN 55111-4056

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/endangered/

Man, with the economy the way it is, who could a person trust?

shackbash, I agree animals on a protected list should not be shot or targeted but the reality is none or close to none of the people who shoot a wolf are going to federal prison. last year a guide was caught shooting several bald eagles and a few hawks. they fined him and took a way his hunting privs. I think you would really be suprised to hear about the person on person crimes such as domestics, rape, molestation of a children and how people with these charges do minimal jail time if any and some are allowed to be on work release and be UN SUPERVISED for 8hrs a day as long as they have a pay check that matches what their boss says.

Haha, some of you guys talk like there are so many wolves up here now that its dangerous to even leave the house! Haha, I mean come on 99% of the population will never see a wolf, maybe 5% will even hear one if they are lucky... I thought drama-queens stopped in high school, but my gosh some people here are comical about the subject. Yeah lets kill all the wolves we can because PEOPLE are better then other forms of life... Grow up and know something before speaking... A pack of wolves range is upwards of a hundred square miles, your house is what 10,000 square feet!? Yeah real good odds that the wolves will get ya there! Please, oh yeah and did I mention that northern Minnesota's forests are THEIR forests and your just choosing to live in them. If you are really out there and concerned about Mountain Lions too then you really need to go live in the heart of a big city. I lived in the Black Hills for years where there actually are Mountain Lions... never saw one, heard one, or saw tracks... Minnesota is just a touch larger then the Black Hills with alot less Cougars so again spare me the concern, you arent ever going to see one... Lets toughen up a bit and quite whining about the big bad animals in our woods!

http://myfxadvice.com profitable forex system

Yep you are right and I always think the worst, because Murphy's Law is always in full effect for me grin , I guess it would depend on the person, their past (I am sure a DWI from 13 years might be used in FC) what they have done and how they did it I assume. Then the judge, jury, how good your attorney is. As I read/take it, under the federal protection act, killing the wolf is one felony charge, touching it is another and I think disposing of it is another.

You are not done then. You have violated state and locals laws also wink Again depends on the factors on what you would get.

Add up anything else they find and laws broken like what land it was taken on. Private, State or Federal Public land?

If anyone can get info on just the act of shooting a wolf on just their own private land while they are under the protection act, pull it forward.

Quote:
In August 1974, the Endangered Species Act of 1973 gave legal protection to Minnesota wolves. A maximum penalty for killing a wolf was set at imprisonment of not more than one year, a fine of not more than $20,000, or both.

Is a little bit I have found. I think then it has changed to up to a $100,000 though just for the act of killing an a protected animal.

Still probation/fines/attorney fee's or 10 years, is it worth it?

I am not an attorney, but I play on FM grin I figured i just want to warn and that is what I have done. Good luck on what the general public decides.

There is a reason they were hunted to near extinction. What was it?

Because of man? confused