• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Bow stand Log thread.

alwaysonthemove

A skunk tonight just as i was about to climb out of the stand, he came threw the bean field right under my stand. I really do not like them things, thought about drilling em but dont want that stink around the stand, although it would be a good cover scent.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mudslinger64

• 96trigger

• sticknstring

• Archerysniper

slow,i had a yearling walk past me at 2:00pm and at 6:45pm a doe and fawn came by on the same trail.i am not hunting fields but am hunting a nice funnel area that has the main trail with several others coming into it.there are 3 fresh rubs on trees about 3 1/2" diameter within 50 yards of my stand there are also a bunch of older rubs.i never hunted this area before but i know there are some big bucks in the area,now it's the waiting game again.....

Last night I saw two does one came by nice at 20 yards the other stayed out a ways. I was in a low ground area and when it got cool the fog sure came in heavy. Other than that seen some coons and that was it for the night.

This morining I saw some birds eating grapes by my stand and around eight thirty three doe came out and ate some beans and then trotted off. Cant seem to find out where the bucks are???

4 hours on the stand this morning and no deer sighted. Did a little scouting around after climbing down from the stand and found a place the deer have been munching. If the wind is right I will be hunting near there next time.

I got permission to hunt a piece of ground yesterday so I went out and put up my ground blind. Got in WAY early to make sure didn't spook anything. about hour half before dark I hear something behind me. I look and a doe saw my ground blind and didn't like it one bit. She was stomping the ground and snorting. lasted about 5/10 min. She was even down wind of me till I think she didn't like it any more then took off. She had a fawn with her. about 20 min later in the soybean field came a deer. It lifted it's head and I could see it was a buck I call JR a tall 8 pointer. So I got ready he was slowly working towards me when he got about 40 yds he looked behind him and lifted his head and started trotting. I drew and instantly started grunting to get him to stop no luck at all. Went into the woods 15 yds from me. little after that a doe came across the road working towards me and I saw she was solo so good candidate for my doe tag. Got to the edge of the field and jumped into the woods well there is a clear path that she would have crossed got ready and she came out but i couldn't get a clear shot at her because of one tree. I think she saw me trying to reposition in the blind cause she took off after noticing the ground blind. I was full drawn and everything all I needed was her to be a little bit clearer position then she was. Thought that was going to be my luck no more deer would be crossing all of a son I look out and there is a 4 pointer 10 yds broadside from my blind. didn't care one bit that the ground blind was there walked around me then went into the woods. So I don't think they could smell me they just weren't used to seeing it there I think. Taking the girlfriend out tonight and we'll see if anything comes to that spot tonight or not.

are you guys seeing deer in the beanfields yet? if so what color are the beans?

The beans by us al turned yellow the plant it self. Once that happens I always quit hunting the bean fields and start focusing on alfalfa and corn.

been a great start this weekend. 1 deer 2 coons thursday on the bottom near the creek. friday night had encounters up top w/ 14 deer, three of which were bucks, one good six probably 2 year old. I think I gotta get up in a tree the ground blind couldn't seal the deal, or should I say I couldn't seal the deal w/ the ground blind. Was not skylined at all, set into a nice pocket concealed well. Had this happen twice, doe and fawn coming in from 150yds around the corner, could see them coming and coming and coming first lane was at 20yds. they cam right inuntil the hit that lane saw something they didn't like and gonzo! Then just after shooting time I climbed out and out of now where had does and a buck frollicking around chasing and spinning, running etc. and then he bee lined right at me and He got to about 8 yds and locked up the brakes and bolted. went so fast there was no shance to do anything about it. great night made me want to set up near by this morning. saw half dozen gobblers and then a coyote, and about 7:10 had four does race past and down the ravine. About twenty miles an hour at 50 to 60yds. All in all a great start to the season for me. Very fun! Think I'll be out Sunday night again if all goes as planned!

snuck out last night. Had 3 does at 25 yds. Saw another 5-6 does and fawns. Did wack two coyotes though, evened things out.

Beans in our area are in all three stages. Green, yellow, and combined.

Went out saturday morning and was kept pretty busy. i had 2 does walk by at about 40 yards then twenty minutes later a six pointer and a spike walk into range. i decided to pass on them and save my tag for that big 12 pointer we have on trail cameras. i'll probably try again tomorrow night

Did not see anything today. My brother saw the same two does we have been trying to get for the last week. The people out at the range in rosemount near where we are hunting have been the best. They stop and talk to us if they see us around. An older man stopped turned off his vehicle and even told my brother where he usually sees alot of does. I did find two small trees that were worked on by a buck it seems. they werent like that 3 days ago

Got out last night and shot my doe. Came in with a button and a spiker, about 20 yards, I did shoot her too far back, behind the last rib. Gave her about 2.5 hours, didn't want to wait till morning with the warm weather, that and the fact she just walked off and didn't run so I figured she would lay down inside the edge of the woods. She did and didn't go more than 100 yards total. 1-1/2 year old good eating.

A couple days ago at the local park I was checking out an Oak ridge looking for some Hen of the Woods mushrooms, and I noticed a couple of large ground scrapes. Just wish I would see the same thing where hunting is allowed!

I found my first rub of the year on Saturday. I've seen 4-5 scrapes so far. Put a portable between two of them on Saturday just off a decent trail.

Sat Saturday morning for an hour & a half, it's a first light & last light kind of spot, very open. Didn't see anything, that rub was within a 100 yards.

Finally cooled off enough for my first sit tonight. Got a spot between two apple trees that's looked good. Three bucks came in, a fork that walked through my shooting lane 5 or 6 times, a heavy 6 pointer that walked through once and a bigger one that never did come in. Two other, I think, does behind them that barely gave me a look. Also heard about 10 or 12 turkeys fly up to roost. All in all a good first night.

we've been seeing plenty of rubs, actually way more than previos years. I think the reason is because we have three possibly 4 record book bucks on camera. [ one we don't have one camera yet] The only problem is there all night shots. We are getting the smaller basket racks on tape in the middle of the day. I am thinking that maybe the weather has a big role in this. But I am not sure.

We are constantly moving the camera's to different trails but they are still all night shots. We are thinking that we are gonna try camera hunting till we can find a buck that is coming out earlier to feed. The corn there is plenty green yet and I am sure it will remain till after november. We might be sitting on a bow hunters paradise this year. Letting them go really pays off.

Went out today from around 9 am to 2 pm had to leave since my kid had a medical appointment. I saw two turkeys and some squirrels thats about it. Time to change hunting location I assume. It has been a whole two weeks and nothing.

went out last night to a new area. Looks nice...a saddle between 2 ridges. lots of sign but didn't see anything but squirrels. I will be back to that spot...has some potential!

Went out last night, sat from 4:30 till dark. Saw 4 does, one buck(I think) 150 yards away. If it was a buck, it wasn't very big. The first two does came trotting by followed by a black dog. Dog went in the cornfield and never came back out. Don't know who's it was and couldn't see if it had tags or not, but I am sure that didn't help me out last night at all.

Yeah that is a bummer dogs chasing deer. Not sure what really to do in those situtions.

Was out last night after the big frost. It is amazing that the acorns are still on the ground. I was hunting next to a 40 acre oak woodlot and the twigs and branches were snapping all night. 1 doe and her fawn came out to feed in the alfalfa field.

I hunted the last two nights and after going 0-3 on my first sits that last two have resulted in some action.

Last night I had two bucks come out and work their way downwind of me at about 60 yards. I had no idea they were bucks when I first saw them. One was a little smaller so I assumed it was a doe and fawn. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to them since they were downwind and I assumed they would bolt. I would occasionally look over in their direction and after about 5 minutes they started working my way. This is when I saw they were bucks because their racks were silloetted above the horizon. The bigger of the two was a unique rack that looked like a small mulie. It was tall and had deep forks. I couldn't see much for brow tines but it was definately a 2 1/2 year old deer. The other buck was a basket racked 6 point. They never gave me a shot, but I would have taken a poke at him.

Tonight I got out a little late but saw 11 does and fawns. There was a group of 9 that passed at about 100 yards about a half hour before sunset and a doe and two fawns came by right at dark. This cooler weather is a lot nicer all around. No more sweating while sitting in the stand and the deer activity has picked up.

i could only get out from 6:30am till 10:00am,at 8:00 i had 3 does run past my stand at 15 yards.i don't know what spooked them but they were in a hurry,all 3 were mature does.i have been noticing more and more deer in the fields around here,just might have to find one to sit by just to have a little change up now and then.

Went out last night and had two does come through about 75 yard and lots of tree rats. Went back to the same property tonight and sat in my other stand to play the wind had 2 does come through at 12 yard took the nice broadside shot she offer and after 50 yards doe #2 is in the freezer.

went out last night. The farmer was taking corn in the field that my stand is near. Didn't see any deer but I had some wood ducks feeding in the corn stubble out in front of me for a while. I videotaped them as well. I talked to the farmer after I was done and he said that there was 2 does that came out in the field around the corner from me but I never saw them. It was pretty windy last night...wow!