• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This is my ice observation from yesterday.
The open spots that I could see were here and there. I didn’t take all the side roads so I couldn’t check every nook and cranny but I did hit some high spots where I could get a good view of the lake. The south end by town had open water a couple hundred yards out from the access that ran east to about Idlewild resort and north as far as two mile, maybe farther. The area around Miller Point and south was open as far as I could see. Couldn’t tell if it went far enough south to connect with the open water from town. There were several other small areas scattered around on the main lake. There was a small area of open water on the south side of Battle Point with an open area that extended WSW from there almost to the other side. The area that was open before east and west of Holiday resort was still open. With the light winds and cool temps we are having today I would expect a lot of that open water to lock back up again.

Yes agree with timjones that there is still some spots with open water, but found 4-6" where spearing. Again be careful all.

Finally got some time to get out this afternoon. Fished the Schultz’s Bay area out to about half way to Battle Point. Had six inches everywhere I went. Stayed away from any of the areas that were recent lock ups. But don’t take my word for it. If you go out any place, check for yourself as you go. Saw a couple spear houses out, a couple other portables, and one atv.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out on Manthey Bay (north end) and found 9 1/2” of ice. A few small vehicles and bigger fish houses being pulled by atvs in this area. I am certain that the ice thickness varies greatly on Lake Osakis and other MN lakes so please be safe and check prior to exploring. The cold this next week will help, but ice depth will still vary. Bobber down. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Heading up there tomorrow Ill have a fresh report when I get back 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Spent another day on the Big O yesterday and it was interesting to say the least. Found a fair amount of fish up on the N end in Mantheys bay but getting them topside was a challenge. The pannies were cruising the basin area in small schools and moveing constantly.  By  hole hopping and being persistent I was able to find some success.  Put some decent fish topside and released a couple gills 9 inch plus and two 13 inch craps. Equipment played a key roll and usally does,  the bite was so light a power noodle of some kind was a must. Light line 2 lb and 3 mm tungstens with tiny teaser tails sealed the deal. Osakis is usally a challenge but I'm usally up for it. By working hard you will find success on there and the feeling you have when you get them to go is all worth the work :grin:

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for the report Chris. Nice work. That lake can definitely make you feel like a hero, or a zero....

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Is the night bite going?

3 hours ago, Rick said:

Is the night bite going?

Has been pretty slow lately. One night you do decent then the next nothing. Very hit or miss.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the heads up. You going over weed tops or deep?

My wife and I had a good morning on Friday with bottom bouncers, spinners and crawlers in 20-24 ft.  Caught 9, threw back 3 18-19 in, 2 13-14 in. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Any reports on panfish or bass? Taking the family camping this weekend staying at head of lakes resort just looking to keep my kids entertained. Thanks. 

Last Saturday when I was out there, I noticed a few panfish caught off 1/2 mile bar near the top of the break. Looked like they were using bobbers but I don't know anything more than that. Didn't see any super-sized fish but I was too far away to tell much anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made a day trip up to Osakis today for a walleye and panfish outing.  Got on eyes right away on the deeper humps pulling spinners or cranks on bottom bouncer. 17956.thumb.jpeg.a6afd0f457ff9b89361c53177a1bc7b4.jpeg

Didn't start fishing until after 9:30 this morning and the bite fizzled about 11 am.  Went looking for panfish and found mostly smaller gills in the reeds.  Finally found some nice gills in the deeper cabbage one of the bars.

Water is pretty stained and surface temps were around 80 degrees.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

We fished the small lake a few week back the water was really high. No luck with bass around the pads tried Texas rigged worms and spinner baits, we did find crappies in 8-10" around Lilly pads and reeds crappies were caught on panfish leaches and small glow jigs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, matt320 said:

We fished the small lake a few week back the water was really high. No luck with bass around the pads tried Texas rigged worms and spinner baits, we did find crappies in 8-10" around Lilly pads and reeds crappies were caught on panfish leaches and small glow jigs. 

Nice report Matt. Thanks.?

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, Borch said:

Made a day trip up to Osakis today for a walleye and panfish outing.  Got on eyes right away on the deeper humps pulling spinners or cranks on bottom bouncer. 

Didn't start fishing until after 9:30 this morning and the bite fizzled about 11 am.  Went looking for panfish and found mostly smaller gills in the reeds.  Finally found some nice gills in the deeper cabbage one of the bars.

Water is pretty stained and surface temps were around 80 degrees.

Is that a gulp worm?  I am not on Osakis but cant fish with live bait without the bass, sunnies, and perch hammering it instantly.

Gulp crawler.  In the spot the walleyes were going in there was a pile of 3-5" perch that tore up the real crawlers.   Gulp crawlers took care of the issue and the eyes liked them too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The gulp crawlers in packages are tougher than those in the alive container.  The one in the picture is from the alive container.  Both versions work well on spinner and slow death rigs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Borch said:

The gulp crawlers in packages are tougher than those in the alive container.  The one in the picture is from the alive container.  Both versions work well on spinner and slow death rigs. 

Thanks for the tip something new to try ?

We've been big fans of the 3" minnows, and 5" leeches, along with crawlers, great color combinations, with floating versions ta boot.??     Found the pinched half crawlers to work great for adding spin to "slow death" presentation...

• Thumbs Up 2

For the past week I've been playing around chasing crappies and sunnies, which I haven't done in decades so my experience level is quite low. Been experimenting with Beetle Spins and although I haven't been getting many, I have been finding success pulling in 13" crappies and 8" and larger bluegills and pumpkin seeds. My experimenting so far has been along the edges of pencil reeds.

• Thumbs Up 2

• The title was changed to Lake Osakis Fishing Reports