• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

45 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I went up to see Mike89. drove around the west side of the lake. man oh man where there a pile of houses an people out in front of head of the lakes resort.

Its been incredibly busy this winter, thats for sure

I've only been on that lake twice that I remember. Both in late fall and I don't remember where actually. What I found odd was the further to the West end of the lake the less activity there was.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
2 hours ago, smurfy said:

I've only been on that lake twice that I remember. Both in late fall and I don't remember where actually. What I found odd was the further to the West end of the lake the less activity there was.

Smurfy that N end is always busy in winter very productive area easy access. Been like that for over 30 plus years that I've fished it. Pretty consistent bite in the N bay every year unless they go on a freshwater shrimp kick then they can be tough to entice at times ? A bunch of untapped water on that S end but a few guys venture out there and find fish. Town bay area is generally a good spot as Millers bay. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Went on Friday very slow bite moved around quite a bit on the north end. A little hard to get around with our little suv not being stuck but just trying to get where you wanted to.  Wife and I got 10 or so sunfish nice ones though 8-9 inches. used freshwater shrimp for the first time and worms a good time. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

thinking about trying Osakis on Saturday. Can any one tell me how the shorelines are. We will be walking out but around here some of the landings are getting bad and are tough to get portables on them. 

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Shorelines are still intact I drove my Truck out last Friday from battle point. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I was out off Battle Point two days ago. I don't drive my truck out anymore but the shore at the launch was fine. There was a slushy pool of water on the ice but it could be easily avoided.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ice is fading fast on Osakis.  Losing about an inch or so each day.  I would say it's down to 15-17" with 5-6 inches soft and water logged ice on top.  Some accesses are still good while others will require an 8' plank to get to the ice.

Bite has been fair to good for panfish.  They have started to make their shallow push but there are still guys fishing basin areas for crappies.

With the forecasted rain and wind tomorrow its gonna get iffy quick.  Be safe out there.  Think I might be done fishing until softwater starts.  Time will tell I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

If I'm looking to catch some bluegills right now, what types of areas should I be looking for? My dad hasn't fished for them in years and I would really like to show him a good time. 

10 hours ago, nulmer10 said:

Are they in the pencil reeds or just off the edges? 

Try both.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Although super old school to some and completely underestimated is cane pole fishing in the reeds for bluegills. It works really well 

• Wow, ❤ 1

• 1 month later...

Looking for a walleye report. I heard osakis was one of the best lakes in the area, but it seems like most of the things I read are panfish related. Any advice for a middle of August first time on the lake? I’m not opposed to fishing panfish during the day, but would prefer to target walleyes low light... does anyone fish them suspended in the summer?

I haven't been out for while but one thing I find that brings a little success, especially in late summer, is long line speed trolling with crankbaits over shallow water. By speed trolling I'm talking about 3 to 5 mph and by shallow water I'm talking about 10' or less. I've found success doing this while breaking all the rules. For example, one day I connected with a few 20"+ eyes over 8' of water around 1:00 in the afternoon on a calm, bright sunny day. The water was like a sheet of glass. 

The challenge for you will be to find those areas where you can troll cranks so they bang the bottom, which means locating those areas under 15' that are virtually weedless. I won't give you the exact coordinates but consider the south town bay area for one. Have fun!

Edited by BobT

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I sent fish them suspended in the basin areas.  Do get a few any off bottom near weed edges and suspending near flats that drop sharply.  Like Bobt I have had good results trolling cranks over and around weeds.   Also, midlake humps with spinner rigs/crawler or jigging raps can be very good.

Panfish can be awesome.   However I had trouble pinning down many nice ones today.  So even they are not a guarantee.  Maybe I will have a better report soon as I will be up through Thursday evening. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for how to target crappies now, I've been getting bluegills in 8-10 around weeds but have been really struggling to find crappies. Anyone having any luck with crappies?

• 5 months later...

So anyone hear anything about finding an ice castle type house on the bottom of Osakis?? Supposedly found it with side imaging sonar in 40 ft of water. Stolen house????

• 4 months later...

Is anyone having any luck on walleye right now? I'm having fun getting into the bluegills but am not having much luck with the walleyes.  How about bass as well? What types of areas to target or is it all pencil reeds?

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

How has the walleye and bass bite been going for everyone? I've been doing very well on the bluegills in 8-10 feet in the thicker weeds but can't seem to get bit by walleye.  I've tried a lot of trolling in the 15-20' depths with spinners or lindy rigs but seem to only get small perch.  The only bass I've been able to find are in a couple areas right in the pencil reeds but nowhere else.  What should I be doing differently?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2022 at 8:47 PM, nulmer10 said:

How has the walleye and bass bite been going for everyone? I've been doing very well on the bluegills in 8-10 feet in the thicker weeds but can't seem to get bit by walleye.  I've tried a lot of trolling in the 15-20' depths with spinners or lindy rigs but seem to only get small perch.  The only bass I've been able to find are in a couple areas right in the pencil reeds but nowhere else.  What should I be doing differently?

I spent the morning on Osakis on Friday. I was using jigs with fathead minnows. I could see clusters of bait fish suspended about 4'-5' off the bottom with fish arches below but I couldn't get a bite from them. Finally (about 11:30 am) got some action from walleye and perch in about 30' of water on a transition between sand and soft bottom with jigs. In that half hour (had to leave at noon) nothing of any size was caught but it was fairly steady. I found that I had to let the jigs lay on the bottom and just lift and fall occasionally. I suspect they were chasing crustaceans and other bugs in the mud and when my jigs fell to the dirt and stirred it up, it got their attention. If I had leeches or crawlers it might have been better. I did not try any deeper because I will not fish beyond that depth as it is more likely to kill the fish that are brought to the surface. 

Edited by BobT
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 10 months later...

How's fishing been going so far this open water season? I've been doing pretty well for bluegills in town bay in the heavy weeds.  I've had some luck on walleye but not great and most have been below 15".  I've been lindy rigging anywhere from 12-20' finding weed edges.  Not looking for spots but what kinds of things should I be trying? Is the north end better for walleye sizes?