• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Rick G
45 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I went up to see Mike89. drove around the west side of the lake. man oh man where there a pile of houses an people out in front of head of the lakes resort.

Its been incredibly busy this winter, thats for sure

smurfy

I've only been on that lake twice that I remember. Both in late fall and I don't remember where actually. What I found odd was the further to the West end of the lake the less activity there was.

IceHawk
2 hours ago, smurfy said:

I've only been on that lake twice that I remember. Both in late fall and I don't remember where actually. What I found odd was the further to the West end of the lake the less activity there was.

Smurfy that N end is always busy in winter very productive area easy access. Been like that for over 30 plus years that I've fished it. Pretty consistent bite in the N bay every year unless they go on a freshwater shrimp kick then they can be tough to entice at times 😲 A bunch of untapped water on that S end but a few guys venture out there and find fish. Town bay area is generally a good spot as Millers bay. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

mrpike1973

Went on Friday very slow bite moved around quite a bit on the north end. A little hard to get around with our little suv not being stuck but just trying to get where you wanted to.  Wife and I got 10 or so sunfish nice ones though 8-9 inches. used freshwater shrimp for the first time and worms a good time. 

• Thumbs Up 3

fishingstar

thinking about trying Osakis on Saturday. Can any one tell me how the shorelines are. We will be walking out but around here some of the landings are getting bad and are tough to get portables on them. 

IceHawk

Shorelines are still intact I drove my Truck out last Friday from battle point. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

fishingstar

Thank you 

BobT

I was out off Battle Point two days ago. I don't drive my truck out anymore but the shore at the launch was fine. There was a slushy pool of water on the ice but it could be easily avoided.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Borch

Ice is fading fast on Osakis.  Losing about an inch or so each day.  I would say it's down to 15-17" with 5-6 inches soft and water logged ice on top.  Some accesses are still good while others will require an 8' plank to get to the ice.

Bite has been fair to good for panfish.  They have started to make their shallow push but there are still guys fishing basin areas for crappies.

With the forecasted rain and wind tomorrow its gonna get iffy quick.  Be safe out there.  Think I might be done fishing until softwater starts.  Time will tell I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

BobT

I put my ice gear away on Wednesday. Now I'm waiting for open water.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

nulmer10

If I'm looking to catch some bluegills right now, what types of areas should I be looking for? My dad hasn't fished for them in years and I would really like to show him a good time. 

Kettle

Pencil reeds and sand along rip rap shorelines

• Thanks 1

nulmer10

Are they in the pencil reeds or just off the edges? 

BobT
10 hours ago, nulmer10 said:

Are they in the pencil reeds or just off the edges? 

Try both.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Kettle

Although super old school to some and completely underestimated is cane pole fishing in the reeds for bluegills. It works really well 

• Wow, ❤ 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• DavidA
      By DavidA
      I’ll be on Birch Lake - Ely - in late July. Anyone familiar with good spots? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lots of limits of nice walleyes this week with plenty of larger slot fish (19.5" - 28") and trophy walleyes (over 28").  Schools of fish all around the lake.  From the Lighthouse and Morris Point Gap area which is adjacent to Pine Island to Zippel Bay to reefs and mud near Long Point and Rocky Point all producing.  Garden Island area also holds nice schools of walleyes.  The go to presentation is pulling spinners with crawlers or leeches at 1.0 - 1.3 mph.  Some anglers are doing well trolling crankbaits as well on lead core line or downriggers.  Nice schools of walleyes also staged over deep mud.  Some fish are shallow, 7- 15', other fish holding in 23 - 31'.  Hammered gold, gold/glow, pink, and orange hot colors this week.      
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers catching some good fish as the season opened on July 1st.  Fishing holes in the river with a 3 ounce no roll sinker and sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and/or frozen shiners.   Nice smallies in rocky areas.  Pike are also active cruising weedy bays, bay mouths and current breaks.  Walleyes hanging out on flats and can be caught with crawler harnesses or trolling crankbaits.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Excellent fishing for walleyes, pike and bass continue.  Schools of walleyes on structure, over sand and on mud.  Nice walleyes 8 - 17' on the sand or 25 - 28' around structure.  The best presentation is drifting and trolling spinners with crawlers or a minnow.  Pike and smallmouth bass active in weedy bays.  Bucktails for pike retrieved slow working well.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      7.6.20 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Minnesota Lake of the Woods Walleye action continues in less than 10’ casting Rapala’s, floating leeches or pulling crawlers in rocks and sand bays. Walleye are also showing back up on classic structure including points and main lake reefs. Trolling deep diving Rapala’s has been producing very large pike and slot walleye in 12 to 18 ft. of water.

Lake of the Woods Musky opener was successful in shallow, weeded areas. With one over 50” boated and the rare 49.5” as well as many mid 40” fish.

With water temps increasing into the high 70’s this week, Rock areas are heating up. Smaller bass sized baits and blades have been favored by these toothy critters. Current musky anglers are seeing up to 10 fish a day!

• Little Blueberry
      By Little Blueberry
      any current musky info?  Looking for new water since can’t get to LOW.
    • tacklejunkie
      By tacklejunkie
      I haven't seen any reports locally this year. The other forums all have updated reports. 
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got out on Fathers day with the Kayak down the Mississippi River for some good ole Smallmouth Bass action. River was low which made a great float and the smallies were hungry! They just couldn't resist the wacky worm once again. We have such an amazing fishery here in MN, glad to call this state home.  Enjoy. 

• Joe
      By Joe
      The Leech Lake walleyes are on the move and our guides have been chasing them! With a recent fly hatch and some heat moving in this week has been a grind but we are still finding limits. A few keys to putting fish in the boat have been the location, the presentation and the wind.

Most of our fish have been on Sucker bay and the main lake. Duck point, Ottertail point and Stoney point have all been good and putting out fish. We have been focusing on the 11-14 feet of water and covering ground has been important. Both Duck and Ottertail points have nice break lines that top out around 8 and bottom at 20, which, is what we have been focusing on. Try to run your boat along the break line and make note of where the fish tend to be. If they are on the top of the break fish there and likewise for the deeper water.

Our presentation of choice, when the wind allows it, has been bottom bouncers with spinners. Gold, pink and white, and green have all been getting the Leech Lake walleye guide fish in the boat. Try to run these at 1.3-1.8 mph with just enough line out to “bounce off the bottom.”

The wind has been a nice advantage the past few days. Use the wind to push your boat along the desired path for a nice easy drift. As stated above the places we have been focusing on are actually in the same area but with different layouts. this allows you to make sure you are fishing in the waves and not in flat calm water. As you may know, leech is very clear so on a flat calm and sunny day it can be tough. Find the waves and find the action.

We do still have some openings for July yet. Give us a call to see what we have open. https://leechlakeguideservice.com

Dennis Carlson with his Biggest walleye 27 inches. Caught on a green spinner rig
    • MNredneck
      By MNredneck
      I was looking to go sturgeon fishing on the st croix river, what parts of the river hold a fish-able population of sturgeon. i was hoping to be near st croix or wild river state parks.
    • Bmiller1981
      By Bmiller1981
      Hey everyone,
      Normally I don’t ask for help but I’ve been skunked last three summers on Side lake / Sturgeon Lake Chain for walleye.  I’ve spent most time on Big Sturgeon and Side for eyes but have come up short. I’m heading up for a long weekend and hoping to change my luck with some advice.  I’d appreciate anything as it’s been a grind... thanks !!
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our annual Grand Marais trip. Fishing was pretty good, despite this being the latest in the month I’ve ever been up there. This year was always planned to be a camping trip, but because several of the campgrounds are still closed (including the one I planned to stay at), I luckily was able to get a spot on Flour Lake. Weather was darn near perfect the whole week. We setup camp slower than expected, so we got a really late start on West Bearskin. Only caught 5 bass. But I didn’t fish any of the normal spots I hit. 

Tuesday, we fished Hungry Jack Lake. Holy cow was the resort a zoo! I’ve never seen that place so busy! Which is good...those guys have always been really good to us. Kids caught a bunch of sunnies off the dock. Bass fishing was normal. There were still a few late bloomers on beds. Caught about 35 fish, including a 19.5, 19, and 18.75 inch smallies. Also caught a skinny 20 inch walleye. 

Wednesday we fished our favorite, Greenwood Lake. We caught 100 bass. Mostly the typical small ones, but my son landed a 16.75 incher, which was his personal best. Also caught 1 little northern. Never caught one out of here for 25+ years. Now, ever since we caught the first one a few years ago, we always catch at least one every time we fish here. Lakers have moved away from the shallows. I marked a lot of them, but I didn’t get any to bite.

Thursday was Loon Lake. Caught about 35 fish. They were tiny as usual, but for some reason my son’s favorite fish is rock bass, so he was happy to catch a bunch of them. I caught a 30 inch pike. Had several more follows from pike of similar size. Decided to go for a drive up the trail after fishing, instead of going back to camp. Good decision! We saw a moose and a lynx!

Wanted to fish Two Island on our way home, but it just didn’t work out. Things in town were a mess! Between the road construction, and the coronavirus, it just wasn’t the same fun atmosphere. Unfortunately, it looks like the road construction will be even worse next year. Oh well, we still had fun. As always, wished the trip lasted longer.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.