• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

there was 2 big walleyes in ON fromt he alex area this week

front cover had a 28 incher from an alex area lake and then the 12.5lber out of Osakis---talk about a piggie

Last time I was there it was like traveling on a four weeler rock climb! Did the rain and snow smooth the ice?

Yes and no. Depends on where you go. If someone drove around where you want to go before things refroze again it's pretty rough. They also had the snowmobile races this weekend so it kind of made a mess in some areas as it churned up the snow and slush and now it is refrozen in to a rough ride. Some of the areas that were rutted up before the storm got a little better but not smooth.

Fished 45 FOW on Sunday. Caught two 11" Crappies. I had fish down there for about and hour and half(around sunset), but they weren't biters. Tried all the stuff that worked last year. Next time I'll start trying other stuff.

Hey Retired or Finlander,

Bought a pop up camper this fall and can't wait to start using it. I read about this lake in outdoor news every now and then, so I would like to take the wife and 2 year old up and go after some sun fish. I was wondering if you guys would recommend camping on the North side of the lake? I ask this because the resort pages that I keep checking on brag about being "out of the wind" or "blocked in 3 directions from wind" on Osakis. Wasn't sure if it gets that bad on the lake or not. My wife is kinda a fair weather fisherman, but at least I get her out!

I see there are a lot of resorts on the lake, just trying to make the best decision on where to stay that excepts campers..

PS. This is in regards to summer fishing and not ice fishing, just trying to get a jump on it.

Thanks,

Luke

[email protected]

Luke,

Well I believe you have heard some pretty good info. The big side of Osakis can get just a rough as any with the right winds. (we lost a few friends in the years cause of it) Being on the north side there are places you can get tucked in and be out of the wind. Plus, that's where you'll find more consistant fishing, specially sunfish!! Also, remember Osakis is 11 miles long so if you camp on the big lake you have a few miles to go to get out of the wind.

Thanks joneshat.

Yeah that would be a long trek in a resort boat with a 15 horse motor on it! I'll defenitly look a little closer at the few resorts on the north side.

Fished 45 FOW on Sunday. Caught two 11" Crappies. I had fish down there for about and hour and half(around sunset), but they weren't biters. Tried all the stuff that worked last year. Next time I'll start trying other stuff.

I would recomment Buck Point. It is about the middle of the lake and still out of the wind. The big water really can get rough. My parents live in Schultz's bay and you can watch the boats turn around as they come around Battle Point.

North end would be the best bet. If it's windy you won't be going past Battle Point in a resort boat. Like SJL said, it can get rough. I have sat here and watched the bigger boats come flying down the lake from the north end and get into the big waves as they round Battle Point and really get pounded. Doesn't take long for most of them to turn around and head back. The north end is pretty well protected from the winds unless it happens to be blowing from the ENE. But even then there are a lot of areas to tuck in out of the wind. Lot more open south of Battle Point. I think the only place on the north end that has camper sites is Head of the Lakes Resort.

any reports on travel on the Big O with the recent snow?? Glenwood 11 plus inches of snow this past week???

Thanks

What types of jigs are guys using with success on this lake?? Lots of lookers with few takers for me. I know this lake can be very finicky, but the payoff is worth it.

Thanks guys!

Fredd I fished Osakis 3 saturdays in a row and they are finicky.I went back and fourth shrimp and euro's on marmuska jigs.The biggest problem we had was trying to find them, they seem to be on go more than any lake I ever fished, just when you think you findem there gone.Ended up keeping about 10 fish each time out but they are nice. good luck

We were on fish all day last Monday but only kept about 15 between two guys. They would come up look and just sit there. When there was some competition, they were more willing. We settled in on #10 moon glows. Threw about 10 different jigs/colors at them. Only fished about 15 holes all day. We weren't able to get shrimp and wondered if that was the key. The fish are real nice when they do go.

We fished last Saturday from 11am-6pm and not even a bite. We went out from Head of the Lakes resort due to them having plowed roads out on the lake. We had lots of lookers on the vex but no takers. We tried euro larve, minnows, shimp and waxies.

• 3 weeks later...

Retired how going?

Kid here. Any insight on getting on the lake North or west side? Thinking of Friday run up. IS shoreline gone?????

Thanks

You can still get on but the way it is going I would think probably down to atv's by this weekend. The accesses are getting a little soft. There is a lot of standing water on the lake especially after the rains we got today. Even had a couple flashes of lighting and some thunder. I just had a thought. I wonder how safe it is standing in the water out in the middle of a lake with lightning? If the rain would let up and give things a chance to drain down a little it shouldn't be bad.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone been on osakis in the last few days? how is the ice? and will i be able to get out this weekend? thanks for any info!

Highly unlikely that you will be able to get on the ice this weekend in my opinion. Between the ice melting and the lake level coming up the gap between the shore and ice is getting pretty wide in some areas. I have about 20 feet of open water right now between my shore and the ice. Even if you could get on by this weekend it would be plenty risky out there. I would think the ice would be a no go by the weekend. I wouldn't recommend going, but it's your life, if you decide to try, be careful and don't go alone.

retired,

how much earlier than average ice out on the 20th do you think we will get this year? it has to bee ahead of last two years. does it compare to 2006 at all?

retired,

how much earlier than average ice out on the 20th do you think we will get this year? it has to bee ahead of last two years. does it compare to 2006 at all?

Hard to say for sure the way the weather has been. Two weeks ago I was thinking that a person could be running around on an ATV until at least the first week of April and than another one or two weeks of walking. Here it is two weeks latter, not even April yet, and I'm done. Last night we got down into the mid teens for lows but with the wind blowing it still melted a little during the night, never even crusted over at the shore. Now they are talking low to mid fifties for highs and low thirties for lows this weekend and windy. Then sixties next week. I would guess ice out will be around April 10 at the latest which is before the average of April 16. mad

I would say we may be ice free by this weekend. Most of the north end is open down to around Moon bar to Crow point and it is breaking up south of there with some areas open.

• The title was changed to Lake Osakis Fishing Reports