• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Just got back from there rd out of head of lakes is good offroad travel takes a 4x4. Fishing was good alot of smaller fish did get some nice craps today released a couple 12-13 inchers.

The weeds died down last summer due to the lack of sunlight during the dog days and they never grew back during the wonter.

Manthey's bay the best depth was 16-19' of water.

Wax worms and erou larvae is the best bait for sunfish.

Small crappie minnows for crsppies.

Good Luck!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Mantheys bay 15 ft found two good pockets of the craps that held the bigger fish otherwise the other spots yielded the big year class of 7-8 inchers that are thick going to be good in a couple years!

Walked out from battle point all the way to schultz bay and almost had a heart attack Tuesday!! Man that snow is tough walking. Managed just a couple small perch, and 2 real nice 18" walleyes in 8 ft of water, which unfortunately had to be thrown back. Headed up to Mantheys bay in the afternoon. Fish were active and caught many crappies and sunnies, however size was small. Didn't move around much due to the cold wind and deep snow. Fishing 18 ft of water from hill access.

I been thinking about going to that lake in June with a couple of fishing buddies and stay at a cabin.I'm thinking just a weekend.Seems like there's a lot of resorts there

Haven't been on Osakis in a couple of years. Thinking of taking my son up tomorrow. Are you still able to drive on or do I need to bring the ATV?

Also, are you able to get fresh water shrimp anyplace? We used to have better luck with shrimp then waxies.

Nels

People are still driving out on the lake. Some 30 plus vehicles out there this morning. Haven't heard of anyone carrying fresh water shrimp this year.

Anyone know if the bite picked up? Was out last weekend and the only thing we cought were small crappies and sunnies. We were ablie to bring home 5 OK size crappies

Good bite, lack of size. Hopped around some and couldn't seem to find anything that got me excited. Sure enjoyed the weather though!

How's the ice? Will you still be able to drive on Saturday?

Is the bite still pretty good with some nice gills mixed in with the dinks?

I take it everyone is still on the north end of the lake?

• 2 weeks later...

Any ice reports on Osakis? I was thinking of going out there Tuesday and was wondering if the ice would still be ok yet to give it ago?

There enough ice for a lease 2+ weeks. Was out the weekend and there is 24 inches. The landings have taken a beating, by you can walk out safely.

Retired We need an ice update PLEASE...

Haven't had a chance to get out since the 5th. Still had 28 inches then where I went. Haven't been around the lake so don't know how the accesses are holding up. Guessing they are still walkable for the most part. Three guys walked on from Battle Point yesterday but there was also a guy drove on there with a pickup and wheelhouse. Seems like he got on and off ok. Not so sure I would try that myself. I know my shore was getting a little soft before this last couple snow storms. Lot of snowing and blowing today. I'll try and get around either tomorrow (more than likely be digging out) or Tuesday.

Didn't get out today. Some accessories for my Ranger came in today so I went and picked them up and put them together. I did check out the side of the lake I am on when I came back. I noticed that a lot of the shore that is facing east or south is starting to go out. There is some water running in at JD2 that is starting to open up the area out from there a little. There is also a couple of other spots where there are little water inlets and those were starting to open up around them. The DNR access on the west side didn't look to bad but I haven't seen anyone use that for maybe a couple weeks now. The access at Manthey's Bay is looking a little mushy but people where still walking out there but staying off to the side. Several people walked on from Battle Point today. Haven't seen any ATV's out the last couple of days. Wish I could tell you how thick the ice was but since I didn't get out there I don't know. I did take a couple minutes yesterday and walked out a little ways at my place. Lots of heavy, wet, slushy snow made it a chore walking. Looks like it may have settled a little more today. Of coarse this is all subject to change depending on how much rain and or snow we get tomorrow and Thursday.

• 1 month later...

Anything happening on Osakis since the ice went out?

I'm heading up there on June 15. That's at least a week earlier than I would have liked, but it is the weekend that worked schedule-wise.

I'm still hoping I won't have to deal with gin-clear water when I get there.

We were there last weekend and did really well but a lot of 14.9" fish. Kept limits of keepers, though. Biggest was 22.5". 12-15 feet worked best for us fishing slow on bottom (vertical jigging/lindy rigging). Spent most of our time on the western part of Johnson bar and 1/2 mile bar. Lots of small crappies as well but never found the big ones. Temp was 50 degrees on south end and 56 degrees up north. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been fishing Osakis since Saturday: the most remarkable thing about this trip is that for the first time since I moved south to Iowa over a decade ago, the crappie fishing on Osakis is better--much better right now--than it is on my adopted home water, Lake Macbride.

Lots of big crappie being caught in the pencil reeds on Osakis right now, and some nice bluegill with them.

I can catch crappie five miles from my house, and bluegills right down the block, so I haven't put in much time looking for them on Osakis this trip, but I've still gotten some nice panfish. The biggest crappie we've gotten was 14" (pics to follow shortly), and I've seen others in that range caught, too.

The walleye fishing has been hit or miss, but we've finally gotten a pattern going--too bad we have to leave tomorrow. crazy We're getting a higher proportion of sub-15" walleye than in recent years, but some eaters, too. No huge walleye, with the biggest a 22" my wife caught and released last night. (Pics to follow shortly.)

Some Northern as well, but not as many as in years past. A few decent perch, too. Shiners seem to work better for most species when the sun is higher, with leeches better at right at sunrise and sunset.

Might have to give her a whirl this weekend. Its pretty hard for me to leave waska but osakis and waska are like brothers with osakis having more structure. Still a fun lake everytime ive fished it which has been awhile.

Went to "O" to fish on 6/29. The Battle point access dock was under water. I could have taken my shoes of and launched but the wind was was blowing in pretty hard. I decided to go to the town access. To my amazement the dock was pulled in. There was a note on the access sign that said due to the recent storm there was a waste discharge into the lake and that they would put a more info when testing was done.

No fishing for me.

Anybody have anymore info?

My guess is that the porta potty's got tipped over and ended up in lake. Fishing has been good but a lot of shorts.....

My guess is that the porta potty's got tipped over and ended up in lake. Fishing has been good but a lot of shorts.....

Have the fish moved out deeper yet, or are they still holding to the outside weed edge?

just wondering if the panfish are doing anything. if so are they in shallow or out on the weed edge. thanks

There are fish out deeper but I would say most are on outside weed edge.

• The title was changed to Lake Osakis Fishing Reports