• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Muskie456

HSO Bear Photo's

Muskie456

Lets see them!

just priming the pump...

Note from Admin:

Post those pictures here!

Remember the guidlines:

1. "Pose" the bear if possible, no excessive blood, no pictures from the tailgate or hanging on the gambrel.

2. Have the hunter in the photo, keep the sun in their face so the photo doesn't wash out

3. Keep the beer cans and smokes out as well

4. If it is a kid, no matter the size of the deer, post that picture, their smile makes up for deer size in a heartbeat.

Click Here if you need help on how to post pictures & images on to HSO!

hookset

Got htis last night (9/3/09)

Weighed in at 467 dressed.

000_0265-1.jpg

000_0263-1.jpg

Shack

Nice!

hartner62

Nice bear! How about a story to go with it?

Cooter

Congrats on a dandy!

RumRiverRat

Very Nice!

Boar

Wow extream atta boy, Congratutations hookset. Very nice job! Get that skull scored, that is an absolute monster. Good for you. Boar

picksbigwagon

outstanding........

splakeshaker

Awesome bear!!! Very impressive!!

Gofishleech

that is a great bear, did you get it in the ponsford area? Any trial cam picks, com-on man you got-a share some details!!

hookset

First off, this is my first bear, so most of what I know I learned from you guys and other bear hunters I know. So thanks for all the advise..I got him on the northeast side of the Ponsford prairie. I had 3 different bears coming in almost every night(the big one showed up once the first week of baiting and then disappeared for over a week). Opening night I passed on a small bear hoping the big guy would show up, he didn’t. My trail cam showed me he was around but hitting an hour after I left my stand, and that he had chased the other three bears away. So on the third night I short baited(left very little food) him and soaked the area in liquid smoke(a new sent for this bait station). I was hoping this new aroma would be too much for to pass up and it was. at 8:10 I saw his head in some tall swamp grass off to my right about 35 yards away. I was not sure he was the big one yet but I had a pretty good idea that it was him since he was the only bear on my camera the night before. As happens when sitting in the same position for 3 hours my legs where stiff and not cooperating, so when he walked behind some bushes on the way to the bait I made a pain full move to get into a good shooting position, I made it into position by the time he cleared the bushes. My bait is under a pretty heavy canopy of trees, so anticipating a bear coming in under low light conditions I had added a sprinkling of flour around the beaten down area around the bait, I figured this would allow me to hunt safely till the end of legal shooting. When he started eating the bait I had a perfect outline of his head, shoulders and front legs, it was easy to put my crosshairs on the lung area and shoot. the bear turned, took two steps and fell over, and as many have described made the "death roar". I called a few friends to help me load it into the back of my ranger, good thing there where some tagalongs because it took 6 of us to get it in. Boy did I have a blast.

CANOPY SAM

Good Lord!!! I believe I had the exact same look on my face as you, Hookset, the first time I looked at these pics. That's a dandy! Your first bear! That one might be hard to top.

I'm sure by now you've found out you'll need all your buddies to help you get that bruiser into the freezer.

Now, if you'll please excuse me, I need to go and determine how to restore my genitalia as they seem to have sucked up into my body cavity.... blush

wolfman-k

Gets the old heart pumpin' don't it? That is one big bear! It sounds like you had a blast, & I agree it's going to be hard to beat that one. Great job.

jlm

Wow, that is a great bear! Many long time bear hunters have never got one that large, great job for your first bear, thanks for sharing!

Boar

Hey sam! Whats up? were you able to jump in to the saddle an hunt this year? Yea hookset really got on the board with that one. Many bear hunters wait a lifetime for a beeast of that caliber. Later boar

DoubleLunger

Thats a pig Hookset. My first dressed over 400 as well. We probably should just quit now because we'll more than likely never see another that size again.

slabchaser

what a monster hookset. great job.

Joe15

That thing is a tank!

Gordie

Holy big bear batman what a monster and congrats

CrowRiverRat83

Your setting the bar pretty high in this thread Hookset! Where are everybody else's bears?

Swap Buck

Bear2009001.jpg

I got this one after three days in the stand and missing a smaller one the day before. When the time came to draw back my bow, I couldn't I was shaking like a leaf! I got it pulled back and made a good double lung shot. He only went 200 yards tops, great blood trail. Yep, it was a two blade Rage pass through. I called Bearslayer and he came to help get him out (A HUGE THANK YOU TO HIM!!!!). NOT FUN!!! But after four hours of getting him out, I could not be happier. This is my first bear with a bow and I think a decent size bear, weighed in at the butcher at 283#s dressed.

Boar

You think an decent bear with a bow? Man that is just awsome!! A true trophy with gun or bow. Great job. Boar

Boar

We are all humbled in hooksets shadow. Ha, Boar

harvey lee

Congrats on the bears.

Hookset, that is a true trophy. Are you having the head measured?

mrklean

good looking bears

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rick
      Now is the time to talk with kids about the dangers of ice. Ice thickness varies greatly on lakes, ponds and rivers throughout the state. Some water bodies have none, while others have several inches, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  “Ice, especially early ice with snow cover, is extremely deceptive because you can’t see dangerous cracks or the thickness of the ice under the snow,” said DNR Conservation Officer Adam Block. “Parents need to teach their kids that ice is never 100 percent safe. If your child is near the ice, you should be near your child.” With many children out of school for holiday breaks, they may look toward newly forming ice for entertainment. “In addition to checking conditions locally and being prepared with an ice safety kit, anyone recreating on ice should be wearing a life jacket or float coat,” said Lisa Dugan, DNR recreation safety outreach coordinator. “A life jacket is the one piece of equipment that increases your odds of not drowning from cold water shock, hypothermia or exhaustion should you fall through the ice.” Ice safety guidelines
      No ice can ever be considered “safe ice,” but following these guidelines can help minimize the risk: Always wear a life jacket on the ice (except when in a vehicle). Children should never be unsupervised around ice. Caution children to stay off ponds, streams, and other bodies of water. A thin coating of ice on a pond or lake does not mean it is safe. Check ice thickness at regular intervals – conditions can change quickly. Before heading out, inquire about conditions and known hazards with local experts. Avoid channels and rivers. The minimum ice thickness guidelines for new, clear ice are: 4 inches for ice fishing or other activities on foot. 5-7 inches for a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle. 8-12 inches for a car or small pickup. 12-15 inches for a medium truck. Double these minimums for white or ice covered with heavy snow. For more information, visit mndnr.gov/icesafety and mndnr.gov/boatingsafety. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • curt quesnell
      Ice coming plenty early this year   https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2346535195421666&id=770784022996799
    • Chill62
      Prods, Thanks for becoming a recent member of this site.  I never give out that information online.  There are too many people who strictly fish a lake because someone said something on a facebook/online post and everyone hits the lake and destroys the lake.  I was fishing north of DL though on a very large lake that is relatively shallow.  Its a fun lake because not many people fish it but it has multiple public accesses on the lake.  Fishing has been relatively good on the lake and a buddy has been out there filming a few youtube videos also from there.  I plan on going out again on Friday earlier to see if they bite during the mid day.   I'll give you this information though its on a mid lake point fishing out from the weed line.  Its a muddy/silty bottom and the fish cruise the bottom and I'm assuming feeding on blood worms and that is why the soft plastic worked so well.  According to Navionic's there is a "hole" of 13-14 feet that isn't that big where our houses were set up.
    • Getanet
      Didn't venture out myself, but saw 3-4 people ice fishing on Alimagnet Lake that borders Burnsville and Apple Valley on Sunday.  I thought they were nuts, but nobody was swimming.
    • iiccee63
      Will have another ice report on Linwood Wed. afternoon. walking out with my chisel to really check it out.
    • BobT
      Colleague tells me there's about 3" or so of ice. Check it regularly to be sure.
    • cookie129
      I saw on face book beacon harbor is allowing wheelers and sleds. I never got to talk to Buddy hillmen  yesterday but I imagine its getting closer for him to also allow wheelers and sleds.  Jonny boy and I got all the house's ready to move. once we hit that  consistent 14 inches of ice on our end.   The temps dropped to -2 last night,  You would think that should of made a little more ice.Then it started to warm up and we got a sprinkle of new snow. I would say less then 1/2 a inch.  I'm hoping to get out in the woods again tonight. At least for the last hour. I'll plan on still hunting to my stand with a flu- flu arrow knocked in case I get another chance at that fat grouse I saw. This time I'm not going to hesitate and take the shot asap.  I counted  just a few pop ups out there yesterday.  I did see two wheelers come from the south but have no clue where they got access to the lake, I imagine it may of been someone with a cabin  on the shore line.   We should see quite a few more fishermen after thanksgiving, I expect it will be a little bit busier that last weekend. I do have a few friends coming up Friday, so I will have a first hand report on how they do.  Knock on wood both blue thunder and the red baron are in good shape as of now.  The little grey kia needs a little work but it does have good heat so that's a plus. I see it s 9  so better get to work    
    • eyeguy 54
      good luck and welcome to fm 
    • Turk
      Hello. This is a post for those interested in the Bayport area.   Many anglers are waiting for the river to freeze to get after the big river crappie. Right now the Bayport pool is skim iced over. The Bayport area of the St. Croix River is the best and safest place on the river for crappie fishing. The Crappie bite can be very good, but as a whole not the most consistent. Normally the morning bite is be the best though, from a half hour after sun up till 8:30, with an ok bite from 3:00 till sun down.  Techniques that catch crappies: Crappie minnow and bobber on a #6 hook or small jig.  Space out your lines in terms of depth above bottom as these crappies suspend up to 18 feet of the bottom, though four to ten feet above bottom is more common than 18’.  Smaller crappie minnows work better than the larger ones for numbers of caught crappies; minnow heads can be productive on jigs (for anglers actively jigging) instead of a whole minnow when the bite is slow. Crappies always roam the basin; this soft fluffy bottom covers the majority of the Bayport pool, and the majority of the basin is 33 to 36 fow.  Also the shallower basin (the north part of the pool) in 26 to 30 feet can also be productive.  Without a doubt these crappie roam and a mobile angler does better.  Walleye and sauger catches remain inconsistent traditionally, and a few being taken constitutes a good day (15” minimum size for walleye), Jigging Rap’s are a best bet to tangle with river walleyes and saug dogs (glow green tiger, clown, and rainbow trout colors in sizes W3, W5, and W7) either tipped with a minnow head or plain.  White bass are a bonus and very good out of the ice-cold water the top loin is white meat and good eating. Avoid the meat.  Trucks will eventually drive on the ice, but it is a river folks!  Please be aware that there is open water on the river. Because of currents, I would not drive within a mile of the train bridge (swing bridge) near Hudson or the New Stillwater bridge.  The NSP plant also has a warm water discharge.  The Malileau Dam also flows into the Bayport pool. Learn the river in the day and stay on the beaten path until you are experienced enough. Keep Catchin’ Turk
    • Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.    Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake.