• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

High school football

BK19

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave S

• bassNspear

• Big Dave2

• BK19

Alright! Who are the favored teams this year in the (out) state regions? I already know Eden Prarie will win Class 5A, so lets see what you guys got to say for the smaller schools? I hear Brainerd has another good team, as does Becker. How about down south teams, and any sneaky teams up north?? (East GF, Stephan-Argyle, I-Falls, Greenway, etc.?) Lets here it!

Yeah there was some games last night but les/hen starts tonight although I don't think they will be as good as last year I think holy family will win the section and GSL will win state again

Yeah there was some games last night but les/hen starts tonight although I don't think they will be as good as last year I think holy family will win the section and GSL will win state again

I agree Bill. I think HF will take the section this year. I heard rumor HF was supposed to have a new field this year (artifical turf). I rode by there today after work and it's still the same 'ol grass. grin

The Giants have some work to do after seeing the game tonight. But glad to see they came back in the 2nd qtr to take the lead and not look back.

Looking at the talent pool the Giants have coming up, next year and the year after will be good years for LSH. Especially if Swanny can continue to improve at the QB spot. He did a great job tonight considering he's only a Sophmore. But still a little work to do.

GSL has alot of catching up to do. There always good come crunch time, we will have to see

Doesn't sound like GSL was doing any catching up tonight. grin

Yeah lsh does have some work to do field goals and xtra pointe for sure and swanny needs to work on holding onto the ball after it is snapped he has been having problems with that science practice started but I was glad to him get the start so he has a few years to go gsl yeah 41 to zip wow it will be an interesting year that's for sure

Originally Posted By: Bass N Spear
GSL has alot of catching up to do. There always good come crunch time, we will have to see

Doesn't sound like GSL was doing any catching up tonight. grin

41-Donut has double meaning in Hutchinson now. What the heck is going on there? I guess that switch to smaller schools is leaving the town with some indigestion. Going to have to make some changes from Missota to Wright.

That GSL machine just keeps rolling. grin After hearing of the teams that were put into our section this year, GSL has my full support.

Becker lost to STMA 14-7 at their place, but by all accounts from parents it was a "good game"... sloppy on both sides with penalties etc... Hate to see 2 big time rivals have to play week one, but that is the schedule. Hopefully we get em at sections.

GSL kicked some [PoorWordUsage], glad to see it! No real upsets around the St. Cloud area, my hometown of Foley beat up on scum Lac Qui Parle team (their never any good) 41-7. Albany looks tough again for conference, but they lack in size on the lines. Mississippi "Nine" conference looks pretty wide open, no real favorites. Man I feel old school that there isn't a Rum River Conference anymore, in which I played in..every team went their separate ways!

If I remember right, the plays called by the Central Raiders in last years 9th grade game was very similar to the GSL play book.

A sign of things to come? shocked

I'll stick to my guns and "claim" that next year will be a good one for LSH. BK19's son and my son are both in a good class of players. A close knit group that resembles the team from a couple years ago that had Savage and Prax.

ya, GSL smoked hutch last week! They have a new offence line, but man they looked good! Shows how they get ready to play a game. Smart coaching!

yes sounds like next year will be a great one any i should know you what is your sons name ?

If I remember right, the plays called by the Central Raiders in last years 9th grade game was very similar to the GSL play book.

A sign of things to come? shocked

I'll stick to my guns and "claim" that next year will be a good one for LSH. BK19's son and my son are both in a good class of players. A close knit group that resembles the team from a couple years ago that had Savage and Prax.

BK19,

your wife and son were nice enough to give him a ride home when his bike broke down and he threw it in the ditch.

I said "Hi" on my way out of the game Friday night, but you had your mind on other things.

• 2 weeks later...

My father announces for my hometown boys down in Grand Meadow so I took my kids down there last night and saw something pretty amazing. In the first 14 minutes of the game a kid brought back 2 INT's over 50 yards for TD's, a punt return over 50 yards for a TD, and threw 2 TD's for around 30 yards a piece.

Well lesueur/henderson lost against belle plaine 14 to 12 it really frustrates me when they always try for 2 pat instead of kicking for 1 I believe the 2 point should only be used IE: when you are down by 2 with a few seconds left in the game not when you are down 14 zip with 2 quarters left grrrr

Well lesueur/henderson lost against belle plaine 14 to 12 it really frustrates me when they always try for 2 pat instead of kicking for 1 I believe the 2 point should only be used IE: when you are down by 2 with a few seconds left in the game not when you are down 14 zip with 2 quarters left grrrr

Thanks Bill. This issue has always been something that bugs the carp out of me. When we're down on the BP 25, 3 minutes to go with a 4th and long, they could have gone up by 1 if they would've put Bruihler out to kick for 3. The kid may be huge, he may be a sophmore, but there comes a time when they have to swallow their pride and rely on a kicking game.

After we came wthin 2, I thought LSH was going to come back and win. Stupid penalties didn't help either.

Do they have a kicker that can hit the extra point every single time? Could he have made a ~42yd feild goal? Heck I played in a game where it was 4th and goal from the half yard line with 3 seconds left and the team was down by 2, they went for the TD and got stopped, ending their season. They had no kicking game.

Most highschool teams that don't kick extra points or feild goals isn't by choice, its that they can't do it consistantly. They figure if we go for 2 every time, we should make it half the time, anything else is a bonus. So often highschool games come down to PAT's and there is no "perfect" strategy.

I did see a kicker hit a 48yd feild goal on friday night and also miss a 47 and a 51 wide. I was impressed by that, but it is deffinatly not the norm in highschool ball.

Mankato Loyola had a kicker that hit one from 54 yards a couple years ago.

Our B-Squad kicker has the better leg, but there's more to the kicking game than just kicking the ball. You need a good center to snap the ball and someone to hold it for the kicker. Without the right chemistry, it will never work. But without having any emphasis on a kicking game during practice, I personally feel that coaches are giving the players the short end of the stick.

A few years ago, LSH had a good kicker. Had good distance on kick-offs and just plain made it difficult for any return. Even made the tackle on 2 of his own kick-offs at NYA. He was the first one down the field. The LSH coach allowed him to make a few attempts for PATs early in the season, but for one reason or another, he (coach)gave up on it.

This kicker went on to play ball at a Jr college. In the state semi-final game, he kicked the game winning PAT with 16 seconds left in the game after the team came from behind to score 3 touchdowns and tie the game in 6 minutes. The articles in the local papers referred to it as the "Miracle in the Mud". The kicker was ranked 17th in the nation in the NJCAA after that season. This may be small peanuts to some, but for this kicker to actually be given the chance and make something of it was a sign of what happens in so many schools. Unused talent that pounds the pine throughout highschool!!!

I agree with what your saying, but you also answered your own complaints. Maybe they don't have a long snapper or kick holder who could do the job right every time.

Most people who are good enough to play in highschool play, maybe this guy just developed into a better kicker later or was exposed to better coaching at the college level. Obviously he got noticed by someone if he went on to play some where.

Well our varsity kicker has been kicking 45 yard field goals all summer long and in practice but can't seem to do it in the games so that tells me they need to work with the kicker and snapper more it can be done¡ I think lsh needs to use this as a practice year as the next 2 years should be great ones

Do they have a kicker that can hit the extra point every single time? Could he have made a ~42yd feild goal? Heck I played in a game where it was 4th and goal from the half yard line with 3 seconds left and the team was down by 2, they went for the TD and got stopped, ending their season. They had no kicking game.

Most highschool teams that don't kick extra points or feild goals isn't by choice, its that they can't do it consistantly. They figure if we go for 2 every time, we should make it half the time, anything else is a bonus. So often highschool games come down to PAT's and there is no "perfect" strategy.

I did see a kicker hit a 48yd feild goal on friday night and also miss a 47 and a 51 wide. I was impressed by that, but it is deffinatly not the norm in highschool ball.