• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

some recent cannon river catches (picture heavy)

some good shore spots in Cannon Falls, and along Sunset Trail on the South side of stream East of Cannon. Good spot near Hwy 61 too

Where do you access the river in welch? I went through there once, thinking I'd find a nice spot to fish and it was a circus! Tubers everywhere! It was worse than the apple river in somerset.

thats where tubers get off. down stream side of river won't have any tubers. they drop them off at trout brook and they float to Welch. I have parked in the same area as tubers and taken off at the bridge, and floated to a buddies just before the 61 bridge (nice parking area/ load unload spot) if your fishin hard you can make it a full day float

For those fishing along the river near/in northfield:

There is plenty of public access for shore fishing right in downtown. Just find the dam and look downstream, you'll see a few hundred yards of easy access fishing.

You can also go to carleton.edu and check out maps of the Carleton College (my alma mater) arboretum. The cannon river runs downstream of the dam through much of the arb, and it's a great place for more outdoorsy-looking fishing than city fishing, though it's literally a stone's throw from town. Just take note that it is college property and be respectful. Please no littering!

an average day will produce golden redhorse, common carp, white sucker, walleyes and smallies. but there is always potential for something crazy, i actually got a koi out of there last year.

+1 on potential for something crazy. I saw a 10+lb channel cat pulled out of there, and I know more than one person who has caught mudpuppies (gilled salamanders) of some sort.

90-99% of my catches are carp, but that's because I specifically fish carp spots. There are so many in some of these spots that I think the big schools scare some of the other species off. I have to move downstream a ways to find other species.

Quote:
Would I at least get to fish before my death?

I feel for you. It is 5:35 AM and 6:30 AM is taking for ever to get here.

• 7 years later...

Personally I live in the northfeild area and would love to fish the cannon. Where in northfeild should I fish the cannon and what should I fish for.