• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

some recent cannon river catches (picture heavy)

my cousins first smallie

100e0261.jpg

buffalo

100e0264.jpg

20 inch smallie

100e0270.jpg

my first mirror carp

100e0300.jpg

my cousins first carp

100e0303.jpg

and his first smallie

100e0304.jpg

and a redhorse

1000229.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

does the cannon have a decent walleye poulation? just wondering cuz im getting tired of walking the same steam in kato even thow it's up to the wazoo with eyes, also any kitties in there?

i've caught ALOT of walleye in the cannon, none of them were very big but its fun beacuse sometimes you get to watch the fish take the bait. but i'm sure there are big ones out there.

as for cats, my dad got one channel that was probably around 23"

the most productive (and most fun!) way to fish this river is to wade as close as possible to a deep pool and just bottom fish with crawlers.

the cannon is an amazing fishery, no matter where you go you are going to catch something.

i have only fished this river 7 times, the pictures above are from 4 of those trips.

this is the list of what we have caught from the cannon river:

common carp

bigmouth buffalo

mirror carp

smallmouth bass

white bass

walleye

channel catfish

freshwater drum

river redhorse

golden redhorse

silver redhorse

white sucker

it is by far my favorite place to fish

I've seen someone haul a big channel, at least 10lbs, out of the cannon. It is the only channel I've ever seen there though.

the cannon has some very nice walleye in it you can also add largemouth and northren to the list of fish in the river although they are less common. dont forget your lipless cranks when you go all my bigger fish from that river have come off them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quote:
i've caught ALOT of walleye in the cannon, none of them were very big but its fun beacuse sometimes you get to watch the fish take the bait. but i'm sure there are big ones out there.

Find a deep pool and they are there huh? Like the mouth of a trout stream? If you catch them here after Sept 30 (end of trout season), don't post about it otherwise the special interest nuts might call you a poacher, ha ha.

Keep up the good work!

thanks scudly

i wasn't breaking any rules smile

man, i miss summer! i can't wait to hit that river again!

I know you were not breaking any rules. roughfish what fish are NOT in season right now? What stops you from fishing the Cannon in the winter? Right now it is not froze over. Find a 30 degree day, dress in layers.

Only two weeks away before many of us trout nuts start fishing - Jan 1 for c&r barbless. You can use bait too ya know! Only not allowed in a few streams (same ones bait not allowed in summer).

i didn't know it wasn't frozen! i'll have to try it!

the thing that might get in my way of fishing down there is talking my dad into driving down there, he's not a fan of the cold, haha

right now, i'm only 14

only two more years and i'll be able to fish down there whenever i can!!!!!

If you were to down size your photo's a little bit, they would not widen the page out so much.

Just a heads up for future picture posting.

Cannon can be a very good river to fish I have caught my PB walleye there at 26" and many other walleyes and white bass are a good time too.

ktapper: 26" is a very nice fish! the biggest walleye i've seen in the cannon was probably 20". it came charging out at my nightcrawler but didn't hit it.

i believe big walleyes are in there, i just need to find them smile

Yeah I caught it fishing the white bass in the spring. Those white bass are sure some fun. I figured I snagged a carp or buffalo and saw the white tip and I was like wow I need to land this. Measured it took a pic and let her go quickly.

Measured it took a pic and let her go quickly.

good man

i'm looking forward to fishing for white bass next spring

• 4 weeks later...

The Cannon is a great river. I just got back from scouting the river from Morristown to Red Wing. I saw a lot of fish. Every where there is a dam there is open water, except Morristown. At one spot I saw well over 100 Carp!

I will be fishing the lower end of the Cannon a lot this spring. I'm looking forward to the sucker run.

Maybe we can get something put together for after the Walleye spawn. Like a GTG at Cannon Falls!

hmmm.....

i've been thinking about trying under the byllebsby (i probably spelled that wrong) dam. now i'll definately have to try it!

how big were some of the carp you saw? did you see any white bass? buffalo?

i too am looking forward to the sucker run. i found a spot with some real giants! it might be different during the run, but we'll see wink

It was hard to tell the size. But I would say average size was 5lbs. I walked out on the dam and looked down from the spillway. It looked like you would have to wade up the river from the road (bridge) to get near them.

After reading the book "fishing for Buffalo" I had to check this spot out.

• 1 month later...

where do people usually go to access the cannon river? Would like to try it out this spring just dont know where to go...

Fly2day,

it depends on what part of the river you want to access.I lived in faribault for 8 years and have fished the cannon river right in town at the king mill dam and out west of town where cannon lake goes under the bridge into wells lake(these lakes are part of the river west of faribault,actually wells goes under I-35 then into town where it meets the straight river). I have also fished at the morristown dam (if you like bullheads go there). I have also fished the cannon in northfield. you can access the river at cannon falls also.

access also in Cannon Falls, near trout brook, in Welch, and on Hwy 61 on your way to Red Wing. Really depends on what your looking for, how long you want to float, and what area you would like to try. Let us know we'll better inform you when we know what you want to do!

Not sure if I want to float the cannon first, I would like to try some shore fishing, I would like to go out of Northfield try for pretty much anything, I guess mainly smallmouth, gonna be fly fishing a lot, but will have my other rod along. I know there is a few parks in Northfield along the rive but is one better than another for access and areas along shore to fish? Thanks for any and all info...

Just a word of caution... you can't target game fish during the closed season, even if you intend to release them.

Wish I could offer you a tip or two about the Cannon, but I'm just getting reacquainted with it myself and don't nkow many of the bank access spots. You have a good start with your road recon, but there is no shortcut for putting the time in on the ground. A float is a great way to learn a new river. But probably not this coming weekend with the runof that'll be pouring in.

Yeah I know you cant target game fish I guess i should have been more clear.. Eventually i will target smallies, but this spring i would be looking for the elusive rough fish, mostly carp on my fly rod.