• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Upland Pants? Waterproof

tmvikings

I have had the same pair of Browning upland pants for 4-5 years and they are shredded top to bottom, great pair of pants but I would like a pair that is waterproof. Filson is the name but don’t know if I want to spend 130 for Double tins. (McAlister Waxed Pants look to be really good and I think I am going with them or a Gore-tex option. Any past experience please reply.

Cabelas Gore tex upland pants have been great for me. Cool enough to wear in warm weather yet throw on layers and they are great in the cold. I think what I like best is the weight vs my Filson pants. They are very light yet weather resistant.

Durability has also been quite good. I am careful around fences and such but quite frankly if you go goretex you have to be anyway.

The Pheasants Forever Brand I bought last year from Bella's have to be the best pair of pants (bibs actually) I have ever owned. A little on the expensive side, but worth the ching. The matching jacket is also very nice.

If you buy Filson, go with the shelter cloth not the tin cloth. The tin cloth are too darn stiff and you'll sweat like a pig. None of Filson's stuff is truly waterproof anyway. It's all just waxed cotton. It's water resistant and briar proof. If you want true waterproof I'd with with something that is goretex lined. Cabelas Upldand Guidewear with goretex get good reviews from my buddies. I shred my clothes pretty regularly so I just by faced jeans and spray them with camp dry because I'm cheap. Once it's cool enough I start wearing chaps over jeans.

I am wearing the PF bibs in my new Avatar grin Water, wet grass, hot days, cold days, as long as you have good boots, you will love these bibs (jacket or not). Grouse or pheasant. wink

<---------------Right here! wink

I have a pair of Columbia Cordura hunting pants. Waterproof and virtually indestructible brush busters. But, way too warm for fall hunts. I don’t wear them until after December.

For true water proof either Cabelas Gore-tex Jean style or the Dry-plus if the still have it. I wear both. If it is not raining I wear Filson tin cloth with the double tin fronts. Filson fits me the best out of all the pants.

Shoot, I went to FF and bought a pair of Carhartt brown duck cloth pants and a can of waterproofing spray. Very cheap and I still am using those pants 4 years later

• 8 years later...

Has anyone tried the Orvis Toughshell pants, I was comparing them to the Cabelas dry ones which according to one post were liked. I found one review on the Orvis pants, https://theuplandhunter.com/best-brush-pants-grouse-hunting/ but was really checking to see if someone has used them before buying as they are pretty expensive.