• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Diver Tactics Q&A Thread

first welcome to the sport

I use an anchor on one end of my main line but have run one on each end of it if the situatiuon calls for it. Mostly I run one anchor and then the wind will straighten the line/lines out for me.

The lenght of the line depends on how many decoys you'll be running. I have main lines that are 75ft thur 150ft. I typically space my decoys about an arms lenght to 7 ft betwwen each decoy.

scouting for places to hunt them hmmm when you find them find out if you can hunt em . Look now for places to hunt next season

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RumRiverRat

• Gordie

• HugoBox

• nate larson

Thanks for the answers. But I know how to scout for puddlers but it seems like divers that come through my area are only around for a short amount of time so what would you look for in a lake for divers?

Thanks

• 10 months later...

To the top.

Because the Diver are starting to trickle in!

Killed the first Redheads and Cans of the year this weekend!

Funny reading a thread and seeing your own name mentioned. I was wondering why one of the Boxes was saying my barrel was bent and that we had five or six dozen decoys out. Last weekend with Cbox in ND, we only put out five decoys maximum at a time. Then I realized I was reading a post from last year and remembered that day. Yes, my barrel was bent that day but we did not have any other chances to straighten it out.

Well I hope to get out Sunday and set out the diver dekes and see whats around down here... Only have 12 BB and 6 Cans but make due with what I have for now. I need to add to my diver shot list besides my buffie and hen goldeneye..

RRR- Nice Bull for sure.

Just curious. For those of you who run long lines, what lengths and how much spacing do you leave. I recently put out 2 strings - 1 was about 200 feet long with about 2 dozen equally spaced and the other was about half in both length and number of dekes. I filled in with a few dozen individual blocks. All divers. Fooled a few bills and could have shot a bunch of sawbills buy I still haven't found a way to make them taste good so we let them buzz through a bunch of times.

We also dropped about 3 dozen goose floaters way off to the side and as usual they just proved to be more work picking up. I just gotta learn to pick my poison instead of the "do-all" spread. 10 dozen sure look good but that many dekes will fill even two boats up quick!!

My long line is 200 feet, and I run 21-24 dekes depending on the water depth. Sometimes the anchor is in 25 FOW.

I sure like those RIg Em Right droplines!

My lines are 100 to 120 foot long with a dozen decoys.

I space the decoys farther apart on the end of the line the furthest from the boat and then they get closer as they get closer to the boat.

I use 12 Oversized decoys per line, if I used Lifesized I would probably use 18 to 24 per line.

Using the slot bag method I can put a long line out in 5 minutes or less.

Let go kill some Diver HugoBox.

My go to lake has become stale!

This is how I set up on Devils lake this year and the birds all tried to set down in front of the long line. This was off of a point and the wind was moving in two directions and I had three lines out just cant see them in the photo the third line is to the right of the shorter line they were about 50 foot lines stagered next to each other and then to the left of the long line on the left I scatterd 3-4 decoys and left a landing zone about 30 ft between them worked like a charm. We were standing on the shore putting brush up for this blind and about a 100 bills buzzed in a set down right next to us. trie d few differnet ways but this seemed to work the best for us.

full-15313-13361-imag0037.jpg

2 questions for the diver experts out there. First, on a big rice lake up north there's always a huge raft of several thousand ringers. There's also several hundred mallards spread out through the lake.

Question 1 is there such a thing as too long of a line? We usually set up a 200' v with a small groups on both sides of the bottom of the v. Since the lake is only 4' deep would you consider setting out 400'+ lines if you had the dekes?

2nd, do you think spreads that big would scare away puddlers? Or would you set up your ringer v and then set a dozen mallards off to the side?

I dont think that a line can be to long but I do like to run several shorter lines and pile a bunch of mallard decoys on the side farthest away

for the blind

some of my best mallard shoots were hunting for Divers

I think instead of more length to the line, I would raft up the decoys at the front of the line. Typically we have good luck with a raft of 60-70 dekes with a tail of another 20 or so out 200 feet. It seems like a raft of those little white bobbers is more visible to the ducks. If we put the line too far out the birds end up landing in the line half way to the blind.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I may have come up with a winner for putting out and taking in longlines. Put out 6 dozen dekes (4 dozen on longlines and 2 dozen individuals) in about 10 minutes. Picked them up in 15. I have 3 lines right now - 1 is about 200' one about 100 and one about 50'.

The main line is 1/4 solid braid that is kept on a cheap $8 extension chord spool - the kind that has a handle on the top and two tubes/legs on the bottom. I used pipe straps to attach the tubes/legs to a 2X6 and then attached the 2X6 to an extra pin from the bottom of a pedastal seat. We have the old style pin pedastals in our boat so it jut sort of worked out. I stacked up two pins and then put the pedastal base with the spool on it in so that the spool was about at elbow height and simply had my partner put the boat in reverse and started dropping the dekes off the bow.

We use the Rig EM right clips and the one challenge with them in the past has been that even with short-ish droppers the clips can get caught together in the bag. I made up some small "necklaces" out of extra anchor rope and clip the dekes to the necklaces when they are not in use. I wore the neckalces while I was setting out. Weh we picked up I paddled around in the Carsten's puddler picking up the individual dekes and in the time it took me to pick up 2 dozen my partner had all 4 dozeon longline birds picked up, back on the necklaces an in the bags.

I'm getting closer and closer to not even bring indivual dekes when I'm hunting big water out of the big boat. I just goatta get past the look of such exact straight lines. I still throw a handful of extras out to give it a bit more shape.

It may sound silly to be excited about simply putting decoys out but I know that there will be at least one cold windy day that I'll be glad I can set and pick up decoys with mittens on!!

If anyone thinks its worth while I can post pictures.

yeah, post some pictures! That would be great!

I ran a ton of trotlines this summer for research, and my setup sounds similar to yours for putting out diver longlines. It is very nice to be organized and efficient, especially in cold water!

I tried something new also I anchored then set decoys I started with the back decoys and just let them float out with the wind works great and I use the clips and the 1/4 inch rope also then I move to the next line and anchor up and toss all my singles from the anchored position as well.

yeah, post some pictures! That would be great!

I ran a ton of trotlines this summer for research, and my setup sounds similar to yours for putting out diver longlines. It is very nice to be organized and efficient, especially in cold water!

GoBlue-

The top pic is the spool.

The bottom is my decoy "necklace"

25cd17a4.jpg

3c8dfd48.jpg

I will have to pic up one of those spools great idea I've been useing a wirefeed welding wire spool and its about used up.

I'm not sure how the plastic will hold up in icey conditions but it was $8 so if it breaks I can find a metal one. Also, Home Depot has pop up leaf bags for $15 and they'll hold almost 2 dozen standard dekes. We have a couple of the big Drake popups and they are great but $50 apiece is a bit steep.

That looks like a great idea Hugobox. I am going to keep that i mind when I finish setting up my boat. RumRiverRat showed me the 12 slot bag method and it has worked great and is very fast to set and pick up. The decoys stay clipped on the main line when put in the bags. I figure $30-40 for a bag is a cheap price to pay for not having to clip decoys for years on end.

I bet if Hugobox and I raced putting out a dozen decoys it would be too close to call.

The reel method works as good as the 12 slot bag method.

I prefer the slot bag method because of the protection the bags provide the decoys.

With as nice as the paint is on the Avery GHG Oversized Cans, Bluebills and Goldeneyes I want to keep them looking nice.

RRR - I have an idea, let's put out 12 dozen and see what happens. I know it didn't work out last timed we tried but there's still a few weeks.

I thought about getting the slotted bags and doing it your way but putting my dekes in a fancy bag would sort be like polishing a turd. I have a dozen home ads burlap blocks I made 20 years ago. They ain't purty but the birds don't care.

As long as I kill 2 deer on Saturday in WI I will be duck hunting everyday until the close of the season.

I plan on hunting Friday morning.

Deer hunting in WI on Saturday and possibly Sunday then duck hunting Monday through Wednesday. Thanksgiving will be more deer killing and turkey eating.

Friday to Sunday will be Duck hunting.

Well HB's system is great, but it is almost a 2 man system.

If my ropes were not frozen on Monday mine would have gone into the water quicker.

I bring my ropes on the wirefeed spool in the house after hunting and they dry out pretty well over night maybe not completely but mine havcent froze up yet,

RRR is that lake froze up yet? was thinking of heading that way in the morning

If you are talking about that big lake we hunted, yes it is locked up.

Might be some open water after today but not a lot of ducks around.

Sent you a PM.

We'll have to try to get out again (most likely next year) but maybe take a bit more time and set up a bit smarter. It was truly the first time I've said, "enough decoys."!! Too bad your "guide" set you up 45 yards east of where we should have been!!

Box - Do you think I will be able to get out to my favorite bad spots on Sunday after I get back from the beach for one last hunt? Try to get out of church or at least tell me where the birds are.

This is the first time in years I have been down here a had the fish bite off the beach. Drum, trout, bluefish, mullet, puffers, sharks. Too bad they are mostly on the small side but it is better than nothing and we are going live bait fishing for king mackerel tomorrow if the wind stops blowing. Try to be free on Sunday for one last duck hunt.