• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Monticello/Otsego Smalliie Fishing Reports

DuckBlind

Northerns finally shut down to where the smallmouth could take suckers. Caught several over 19" with one at 20". The bigger the minnow the better for larger fish, but hard to hook them. Missed at least a half dozen in that size range. Good numbers of fish in generally deeper water (6-8').

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TunaCan

• fishface

• DuckBlind

• Dylan33

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone still fly fish for smallies up there? I'm just getting back into fly fishing after a several year hiatus and was looking for a little advice.

Thanks

Hit the river yesterday for a few hours. Cold and rainy first thing and then it was beautiful and the crowd came out. Saw a few boats as well. Caught plenty between our group including some good sized fish. They are packing on the weight, I gave a few fish stern talking to's about their guts and expressed my concern about their cholesterol.

• 1 month later...

Anyone been fishing the area lately? I have to be up near Monticello on Wednesday for work, and am debating whether it will be worth wetting a line for a few hours.

Hit the river yesterday for a few hours. Cold and rainy first thing and then it was beautiful and the crowd came out. Saw a few boats as well. Caught plenty between our group including some good sized fish. They are packing on the weight, I gave a few fish stern talking to's about their guts and expressed my concern about their cholesterol.

LOL.

Anyone been fishing the area lately? I have to be up near Monticello on Wednesday for work, and am debating whether it will be worth wetting a line for a few hours.

Ted- It's worth it. Do it!

• 3 weeks later...

After a slow morning on the ice Saturday I decided to try the river. Got out around 1:00 and battled the ferocious winds as that COLD front moved in. The smallies are still there! Picked up about 15 and one bonus pike in the 45 minutes I was out there. First cast - BAM! Fish on! Caught 9 in a row on consecutive casts. Spent more time baiting my hook then fishing. Size was a bit down from my last outing in November but managed 1 just under 19, most were in the 16" range. Felt good to scratch that itch as well as get some fish through the ice and open water in the same day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a plane unweighted red hook and let the minnow do its thing. seemed to be catching more than others around me.

I went the last two weekends of the season. After that I just kicked myself for not going more.

• 2 weeks later...

The quality of fish has dropped considerably due to its recent popularity, I still managed some decent ones this season and even some walleyes, either way its better than ice fishing.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

you need to find a better spot to ice fish then. wink wink

you need to find a better spot to ice fish then. wink wink

No I need to move down south where I can bass fish all year! Ice fishing is for the birds! I just do it because of lack of options.

lol OK, I guess I'm just a big old kid who smiles a lot and enjoys fishing year round. grin

Reffering to smallies as carp? lol. You can actually catch a lot of real carp down there, a seem to pick them up when I use xraps boy thats a ride!

• 4 months later...

Heading up soon! Guessing the water is high??? Might wade in or float a canoe from Monti on down to Otsego...

Heading up soon! Guessing the water is high??? Might wade in or float a canoe from Monti on down to Otsego...

Definitely not high. If anything I'd say it's a bit low right now.

Mississippi River at St. Cloud (RM 922.9) 2520 cfs

Mississippi River near Anoka (RM 861.4) 4210 cfs

the river is down to it's normal late summer levels. up at the Clearwater access there is sand bars exposed in the middle of the river(it is that low up there). Monticello area should be fine for wading now. about this time of the year last year I was walking almost half way across the river in my chest waders.

It's low. Now is where the jets shine. Canoe trip would be ideal now. Water might be a tad cool, but it's going to be hot this week so that should feel good.

the water felt dandy yesturday smile

• 2 months later...

Have not been out much this fall. Fishing conditions in the spots I fish have definitely been different from past years. There has been a lot of moss hanging in areas that hold fish and it seems to have changed feeding patterns. I have not had much luck on traditional late season tube patterns. Medium suckers are about the only thing producing for me with generally lower numbers of fish, but good overall size. Caught four over 19" yesterday with one fat beast just shy of 20". Also caught a couple northerns with one good fish in the 6 lb range. It was the first time this fall I have seen smallies following in a fighting fish. The bite for me has been very light and definitely has not been the true feeding frenzy often experienced this time of year.

• 3 months later...

No posts here for awhile. My winter observations are the several times I've been up the bite has been pretty darn good. I'll second the poster before me and any areas with a lot of debris, leaves,moss, etc are not very productive. Seek out the broken rock, and gravel areas and fish are there. Really tried out flukes for the first time this winter and haven't been disappointed. Darker more natural colors I have caught fish for fish, if not more on plastics than others using live bait. That said I did catch my PB of 21" on a hair jig and shiner. Most all bites have been that good wack that can't be confused with anything else, man I long to feel that again soon.

FYI the river is currently iced over at Ellison, and montissippi up to the power lines. Good ice shelf extending out even then which prohibits fishing. Don't know if the powerplant is back on, or to full steam, but I would cancel any open water fishing there for some time. If anyone has any updates in the future, please post or send me a PM, I love the fishing in the area and saddens me now I don't have any options for open water other than Pool 4. Thanks.