• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I agree if they get close to family, pets, live stock or anything you SSS no questions asked you have to protect what is yours

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bowser

• Duffman

• walleye101

• HwthaMatt

HwthaMatt,

The wolves are a problem due to their poor management. There are hunting seasons on every other type of large game in MN except for cougars(which unlike wolves, are very rare). Wolves have been allowed to reproduce unchecked since the end of the bounty days. THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY WOLVES IN NORTHERN MN. I don't think wolves should be exterminated but their numbers are probably 4x fold of what a healthy population should be. That is why they are so prevalent and once they have exterminated the deer and moose from their range, they focus on family pets and livestock. It's just a matter of time before they kill a human, as there have been non fatal attacks in other states.

I'm not trying to come off too strong at you, but you haven't been in Bowser's shoes, had first hand or even second hand experiences with wolves, or seen the damage they cause so you can't believe what you read or see on TV about them.

P.S. There are plenty of jobs in northern MN if you look in the right places.

Oh please, family dogs have killed a thousand times more people than wolves have or ever will.

Oh please, family dogs have killed a thousand times more people than wolves have or ever will.

Although it is not pertinent to this conversation I am certainly not arguing that point.

So why drum up the point that the wolves are going to be killing folks, it hasn't happened yet in the history of this country. Is it possible? You bet, but highly unlikely.

Funny, with all the record deer harvests in the last decade, you would think that there wasn't any wolves around.

Wolves kill dogs for one reason, they view 'em as competition, and they do the same thing to other members of the canine family - 'yotes, foxes, and other wolves.

I guess man always needs a boogey man around to be afraid of. crazy

Deadsea, I hear you on the poor management issue. I still will not relent on the idea that it is shameful to shoot something just to wound it and let it suffer and die in the woods. I don't care what you say that is not a sportsman. Maybe I would concede if we were talking about the "wildlife" I have to deal with down here (muggers, gangbangers) they are responsible for their actions. How do I tell my daughter not to worry about playing outside when someone is shot up 5 blocks away? Wolves are just doing what wolves do and as you argue, that now is in conflict with us humans.

And if you guys want to go all out on the Wolf issue, let's take it down to Silly Town (The outdoor discussion forum). Otherwise let us leave Cara to rest in peace. I'll be giving my little hound an extra hug today, once again I'm sorry for the loss.

Bowser, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. What a terrible thing to go through.. I can only imagine what you went through during that ordeal and when I do my heart sinks at the thought of that happening to one of my pups.

Rest in peace Cara, your family will truly miss you.

"hooks"

And if you guys want to go all out on the Wolf issue, let's take it down to Silly Town (The outdoor discussion forum). Otherwise let us leave Cara to rest in peace. I'll be giving my little hound an extra hug today, once again I'm sorry for the loss.

You are right, the main topic of this thread is for us to help Bowser through the loss of his family member.

Prayers sent from our family to yours, remember the good times with Cara. She is in the happy hunting grounds with my brittany and 3 goldens, and many other trusty companions.

Steve

hey bowser...My question wasn't for you, ...so let me clarify some things for you...ranger20 said;

Quote:
sorry to here but i have no problem shotting a wolves all years long the do nothing but make problems,

he says he shoots wolves all year long...because they do nothing but make problems...so i asked HIM not YOU what problems they have caused HIM...not aimed at you bowser??

also the protected part at the end of your post to me...i was answering STEVE not YOU ...he said they were taken off the endangered list, so i replied to show they were put back on...

Bowser, Really sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. Anyway it happens, it is hard to lose a loyal friend.

This family has gone through some serious emotional trauma. Give them a little leeway with their responses. Some people read too much into what people post, while others don't seem to read it at all before they respond. And after an horrifying event like this, it's got to be hard to even put together some rational thoughts on the matter.

I understand that you are trying to defend your postings, but is this the time to be doing it?

Bowser and family......we're here for support, like others have said, remember the good times with Cara, online forums helped me get past the loss of my 6 1/2 yr old Golden.

mr&mrs bowser, sorry to hear about your family member. i have a lab that is getting to the point he has a hard time getting up off his hind legs and know THAT day is coming way to soon. we also lost a dog 2 years ago and still hurts. by talmoon? we have a place by spring lake. which direction from hayslips are you?

Duffman,

Well said, thank you all for your kind words. My original reason to start this post was to raise awareness to everyone to watch there favorite pet.

darryl,

I understood that the question was not for me but I was going to answer it anyway. I was very upset to see what you had wrote. I am not Bowser I am his wife and I wrote that at the end of my last note. So don't bite my hubby's head off. We are going through a hard time and bowser wanted to let people in the area know so they can protect there dogs and other animals! This was not posted so people could fight about stupid wolves!

We have people on this forum talking about the 3 S's (shoot shovel shut up) and are these the same people who get all up in arms when they see someone taking slot walleyes or out of season muskies? Kind of hypocritical.

Matt tell me this:

How is the idea or act of protecting yourself or something close to you, such as a family pet, from danger such as a wolf the same as taking "slot walleyes or out of season muskies" ????

Bowser....

Seeing that my hound and I are on south side of Jessie Lake frequently(In-Laws house), I appreciate the posting, I just wish it didn't arise from such an tragic event. And I apologize for defending wolves somewhat, this isn't the time nor place.

Well just like the angling violations, it is against the law. Only a government officer is allowed to shoot a wolf not threatening a human. I actually don't agree with this and believe that it should extend to pets(aka family). I don't know hunting law all that much but I do believe it is a violation to intentionally shoot and wound an animal just to let it die in the woods. Am I wrong? It is certainly unethical and pathetic.

darryl,

I understood that the question was not for me but I was going to answer it anyway. I was very upset to see what you had wrote. I am not Bowser I am his wife and I wrote that at the end of my last note. So don't bite my hubby's head off. We are going through a hard time and bowser wanted to let people in the area know so they can protect there dogs and other animals! This was not posted so people could fight about stupid wolves!

well said! you must live close to the township hall and church.?

Duffman,

Thank you! The DNR told us they are killing dogs because they have pups. They also told us that they took a dog out of a kennel and killed it. Watch your hound close! Again Thanks for being compassionate to us! Bowsers wife

Bowser,

I am very sorry for your loss. It is a horrible thing to have to put a dog down. Try to remember the good times your family and Cara had together. Both of your lives are better because you had each other.

Sure, taking slot fish and killing wolves is against the law. I guess the point I was making was that a fish won’t come out and harm a pet like wolves can. It seems to me there should be more clarity in the law when it comes to situations like this.

If the law is written such that if you would catch a wolf in the act of killing livestock or a pet, and are not allowed to do something’s about it but watch---then those authors are completely out of touch!

If so, maybe the law is written to protect from shooting wolves on site? Maybe charges would not be filed in cases of attack; I don’t know.

Some have spoke of reality. If wolves cause harm, people protect! That’s reality!

Glenn57,

Please leave your e-mail address and I will give you a shout via e-mail.

Bowser

Timber wolves thread now open in silly town.

Hey all lets show some respect here and see what this thread for what it is.

A member of has lost a close companion and would like our support and to share their lost. We all understand where their coming from and I think we all have lost a best friend a time or two. Lets not take away the value and benefits of sharing of a lost one.

My condolences. Its always difficult to lost a loving and loyal pet.

Let's save the politics/discussion for the appropriate place.

Bowser and family, so very sorry to hear about your loss. If I had a gun in hand and a wolf was attacking our dog Maggie, it would be a dead wolf.

And I love wolves. Yep, a wolf lover. But you can love wild animals and still defend your family/pets against them. Wolves kill dogs and eat them quite often, I'm sorry to say.

Again, condolences on losing your family pet and friend. frown

SSS all the way. I am sorry for your loss, I almost lost my dog last week and all I can say is that its almost like losing a child